Author Topic: I Think Some Punk Was Trying to Pick a Fight With Me at Brunch Today ...  (Read 3808 times)

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
My wife and I went out for brunch today, as we do every New Years Day.    As I was backing away from the smoked fish table I thought I bumped into a guy.  I said excuse me.  Then later when walking by the desert table, I seemed to have bumped into the same guy, who was a scruffy looking punk type.  We bumped and he kept walking w/o looking back.

I was dressed in all black and my wife said I looked a little intimidating.  But, before going sly my look was not at all that way.  Can't say anyone has ever picked a fight with me, but I think this guy was bumping into me intentionally.  I actually didn't think of it until about 5 minutes ago.

Perhaps I should've elbowed him in the ribs ...  or thrown a freakin hot omelet at him ...   but instead I just kept saying "excuse me" ...   maybe next time.    b0x3r

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
Re: I Think Some Punk Was Trying to Pick a Fight With Me at Brunch Today ...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »
Andrew it takes a bigger man to walk away my friend. People like that, who try and start trouble for no reason, they get theirs in the end. The world has its way of taking care of them.

Good on you for being the bigger man

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 04:42:50 PM »
Andrew, you did the right thing. No sense ruining a good meal if you weren't sure.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:30:58 PM »
Maybe he was just bumping into you cause he was hoping and wishing some of your slyness was going to rub off on him.  He was just wanting to be like you thats all.....

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »
i probably would have given him a REAL stupid look. like the one that says "do it again, I DARE YA!" but that is just me. you did well by not causing a seen.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »
Andrew, I agree with Tom and JDOG.  Life has a good way of taking care of guys with that attitude.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Dazed

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »
Good job not getting angry. I'm all for smacking people when they deserve it but laws are just so strict, you can't really fight anyone and get away with it unless you're both drunk, yes it really is sad. I actually seem to have the opposite effect since I shaved my head. People used to always pick fights with me over silly things, making up nicknames ect. Oddly it doesn't happen at all anymore. I guess with positive attitude comes positive change or maybe it's fear  :*))

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »
Andrew, congrats to you on being the "bigger man" by not escalating the situation further or even getting confrontational.  It's sad that in the world we live in now that people are generally very rude towards their fellow man.  Kudos to you bro.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
andrew....2 repeat what my sly brahs have said...congrats on being the better man. O0
that is the perfect example of the quality members that we have here. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »
I think every man has his run ins with someone a little too big for his britches or just plain stupid...

My wife and I were at a pub having a few beers in celebration of her birthday the other night, just chillin' at the bar chatting with the owner etc. There were some other folks in there that were all pretty lit up and out of the blue thes guy come up and slams into my wife and puts his arm around her land starts trying to dance or something...

Needless to say I was on my feet by the time this happened and felt no fear only the uncomfortable feeling that "I am going to have to beat this guys ass" when his friends rounded him up and apologized deeply and offered a drink. Closest I have come to fighting in awhile.

I mean seriously, you can be drunk and run into me or whatever, I understand but when its my wife, whats a boy to do?
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline SlickEric

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »
Andrew it takes a bigger man to walk away my friend. People like that, who try and start trouble for no reason, they get theirs in the end. The world has its way of taking care of them.

Jesse,
I was wondering if you'd be saying this, if I was the dude who bumped into you, accidentally of course. Seems you're fuse is not as short as it once was. This place has had a positive influence on you and has brought the tru you to the surface. A much kinder man.

Andrew,
You said the guy bumped you at the dessert table. We're there any pies there? I bet you were considering tossing one of those in his face!
Though it wouldn't have had the same impact as one of those piping hot omelettes.

People just don't get it. Headshavers are not bullys.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »

Jesse,
I was wondering if you'd be saying this, if I was the dude who bumped into you, accidentally of course. Seems you're fuse is not as short as it once was. This place has had a positive influence on you and has brought the tru you to the surface. A much kinder man.

Andrew,
You said the guy bumped you at the dessert table. We're there any pies there? I bet you were considering tossing one of those in his face!
Though it wouldn't have had the same impact as one of those piping hot omelettes.

good outlook eric.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

Andrew,

I really don't know if this guy bumped me intentionally or not.  If it was clear that it wasn't an accident I would have said something other than "excuse me".  But, even though it's unlikely that I'd bump into the same person twice in a large restaurant, I opted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

To your point Marz - if he bumped into my wife twice, the omelettes would have been flying.  Perhaps some hot maple syrup to go with it.  I could see the headline in our local paper the next day: "Bald Guy Starts Brawl at News Years Day Brunch"
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »

Jesse,

Andrew,

Eric, it is the people on this forum that make it such a great place to be. I'm sure you feel the same eh bro.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:13:26 AM by JDog »

Offline Rafter

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 04:05:36 PM »
Andrew, you have some awesome self-contol. As a southerner, I take pride in being a gentleman. But after that second bump, I would have taken a plate, filled it up with some salad and lots of dressing, and tossed it right into his lap!   :Xo!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 04:40:44 PM by Rafter »