Author Topic: 17 years old... Am I too young to shave? UPDATE: I did it!  (Read 14243 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: 17 years old... Am I too young to shave? UPDATE: I did it!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 12:15:42 AM »
Congrats bro!  Enjoy the new look!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 11:57:48 PM »
Mosin, welcome bro!  Looks good and congrats on becoming SLY!

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »
Congrats and keep it shaved, bro!

marty22

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 09:32:37 AM »
Mosin: you look great and like a real military man!

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »
Congrats bro' it looks good on you.

As fars as it being cold just grab a good beanie and you'll be fine.

Offline 440satellite

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 08:44:11 AM »
Looks great, you've got a good head shape for it too.  Welcome aboard.

Newly sly here too and still loving it.

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 09:04:22 AM »
It's good that your parents are cool with it.  It makes it so much easier when it isn't treated as an act of rebellion.

I have found that if you follow the clippers with a good buzz with a Norelco shaver before you hit the shower, it makes it much easier to shave with the blade, and less likely to nick the skin.  But, go lightly with the electric shaver until your skin toughens up, or you will get razor burn from the electric.

As for cold weather... one word... HOODS...  I find a hooded sweatshirt more convenient than a hat.  Just flip it up when you get cold and flip it down when you get warm.  With a hat, you are more likely to leave it laying somewhere.  In really cold weather, a hooded parka is a must.

Offline mosin1891

• Sly Guy in Training
  • 17 and sly!
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 04:03:19 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm liking it more and more as time goes on. Today I was watching a DVD with the girlfriend and at one point she just started rubbing my head for no good reason.  O0

It's good that your parents are cool with it.  It makes it so much easier when it isn't treated as an act of rebellion.

I have found that if you follow the clippers with a good buzz with a Norelco shaver before you hit the shower, it makes it much easier to shave with the blade, and less likely to nick the skin.  But, go lightly with the electric shaver until your skin toughens up, or you will get razor burn from the electric.

As for cold weather... one word... HOODS...  I find a hooded sweatshirt more convenient than a hat.  Just flip it up when you get cold and flip it down when you get warm.  With a hat, you are more likely to leave it laying somewhere.  In really cold weather, a hooded parka is a must.

Yeah, my parents don't mind at all. In fact my mom insists that the real reason I did it was to impress the girls.  :)

Incidentally I have an old Philips electric shaver from when I was 14 and too scared to use a real razor.  :-[ I'll give it a try the next time an opportunity presents itself.

Hoodies aren't really my thing. I got a beanie from the 99-cent store though. I love my beanie already!   :@`

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 07:12:27 AM »

Hoodies aren't really my thing. I got a beanie from the 99-cent store though. I love my beanie already!   :@`

The only problem I have  Mosin is with the beanies...I cant keep them on my head.  They want to slide around and stuff.  I am working on a solution though....running into a few snags with it though....

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »
mosin.....welcome 2 the club.  u look like a natural.  and welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  as timmj mentioned....u must wear it for the 30 day trial.  that is the unwritten rule in the sly forum....after 30 days u will decide 2 grow it back or keep it smooooth. O0 O:O

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline mosin1891

• Sly Guy in Training
  • 17 and sly!
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 04:12:47 AM »
Hey, thanks for the welcome Warhawk!

Tim, I find that when I have a bit of stubble on my head, my beanie sticks to it as if it were glue. That beanie ain't going nowhere until I give it a good tug. I see how it could be a problem when you're completely smooth though. What's the solution that you're working on?

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 07:27:40 AM »
Im trying to come up with a concept that puts a small band of rubber like substance around the inside edge of the beanie.  You know like those gloves that have those little gripper dots on them...well put them on the inside of a beanie and thinking it will hold....what are your thoughts??? or anyones thoughts on that.

Offline Cefus

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 05:10:27 PM »
The best deterrent to any kind of shaving injuries I've found to date is SHAVING OIL!  It's available at most drug and discount stores.  There are several different brands generally available.  It contains a variety of  oils and practically guarantees no nicks, cuts, or scrapes.  Very inexpensive and requires only a few drops.  You've gotta try it! 

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
Welcome aboard Mosin

I assume you are holding a Mosin Nagant 1891 in the pic? I picked up the m44 last year, good times.

Keep rockin the sly man, looks good on ya.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »
looks good