Author Topic: Marshall's fitness goal  (Read 65254 times)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
Re: Marshall's fitness goal
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »
On that post, Saintc challenged me to not just HOPE to exercise but to DO it. 

Sounds like you heard the message, keep moving, keep moving, what you don't put in your mouth counts as much as what you do.  Marsh1000, if you think I'm going to give you any easy pass into full blown T2, check this, NEVER.
Saintc.

Just so you know, I am definately watching what I put in my mouth.  I am eating much better.  Treats and fatterning stuff are only very OCCASIONALLY eaten!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »
Good job, Marsh.  Keep up the good work.  Do you ever watch The Biggest Loser?  Every season there's at least one contestant with Type 2 diabetes and they're almost always able to reverse it once they get their weight under control.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2010, 09:47:04 PM »
I do occasionally watch the Biggest Loser!  I am very inspired by it.  Thankfully, I don't weigh nearly as much as most of the male contestants!  But my weight is bad enough as it is!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010, 07:41:22 AM »
  Treats and fatterning stuff are only very OCCASIONALLY eaten!

Now the wo;rk is to find a healthy treat--not fattening or made with highly processed foods.  They are out there, believe me.  Read the labels, often prepared foods that say "low fat" still get more than 50% of the calories from fat.  Keep up the good work, and to take a phrase from a New Englander who made his fortune in New Orleans, fattening up people, "Turn it up a notch!"  Time to recheck the diet to see if you can tighten things up, and brighten up the flavors.  Quantity counts--calories are a main up front issue--count them. 
Good report.  Next stage now.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
Just so you all know, I lost my 20th pound today.  So I am feeling encouraged to continue on the right track.  Went to the gym last night too!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
Way to go Marsh!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2010, 07:00:31 PM »
By the way, I nominate Saintc the "Sly Diabetic Drill Sargeant"!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
By the way, I nominate Saintc the "Sly Diabetic Drill Sargeant"!

And like all good Sargeants, my goal is to get my men out alive!  You can control this with diet and exercise, you really can.  The meds are a last resort, keep your weight going down, your numbers will go down, and tell & SHOW your doctor you're serious about doing this on the scale every visit, he will support you. 

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »
Good advice Saint. Keep it up.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »
Well the last time I was at the doctor, I was on the scale.  They automatically weigh me whenever I am there.  I have a goal of doing some kind of exercise 4 times a week.  They made me start a goal sheet.  But they only wanted me to do do one goal at a time as to not overwhelm me.  So last week I reached my goal.  In fact, my gym back is packed and I will be going to the gym tonight.  But just so you know, I am on Metformin.  But I plan on shedding this fat so I can be a slim, healthy, Sly guy!  YES SIR SARGE!  hehehehe

But even though I am laughing right now by calling you sarge, I really appreciate the concern.  I am taking this seriously!

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
First of all, I just want you to all know that I have been faithfully been hitting the gym 4 times a week the past 2 weeks.  I have already been twice this week and hope to do more than 4 times this week.

But for any of you diabetics who are on Metformin, have you experienced weight gain?  I just went on that and have been bouncing back and forth with about 5 pounds.  I don't want to get discouraged but it bites.  I really want to break the 20 pound weight loss mark that I have already acheived.

On the good side of things, I bumped into someone that I recently met at church, while at the gym.  He is a sly guy who is training to be a personal trainer.  So I am hoping to connect up with him and get into even better shape.  He is a pretty nice guy and looks like he has some huge muscles.  I am not aiming for that necessarily.  Just want to be fit, toned and healthy!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
The meds could and often do cause problems, but since your just starting out, it could be hydration issues, 5# is probably only a few percentage points of your weight.  Make sure you are drinking adequate water in order to help your body eliminate retained water properly.  I usually go back and forth about 4-5#, more due to processed food and salt [beer is one of the biggest offenders, other alcohol slightly less, but both will cause water retention.]  Keep a food and beverage diary and put your weight in the margin, it may help point up the problem.  Also, weigh at the same time of day in order to see if you are really gaining and losing weight--to see how important that can be, weigh before bed and on rising--it will surprise you.

Offline jr1979

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2010, 03:59:35 AM »
But for any of you diabetics who are on Metformin, have you experienced weight gain?  I just went on that and have been bouncing back and forth with about 5 pounds.  I don't want to get discouraged but it bites.  I really want to break the 20 pound weight loss mark that I have already acheived.
Pharmacist checking in...

In the old days we used to tell patients metformin made you lose weight, which for some people it did. Modern thinking is that it is weight-neutral because the small weight-loss effect is usually offset by the progressive weight gain experienced by most diabetics. Metformin has proven long term benefits in preventing diabetes complications so its well worth sticking with it if you're otherwise going fine.

You're completely on the right track Marshall. The resistance exercise at the gym seems particularly good for diabetics because it stimulates your natural growth hormones which assists with controlling your diabetes. The improved muscle tone generally requires you to burn more energy (sugars!) to perform everyday tasks which helps get the sugars down further.

Don't fret over 5 pounds. Anyone's weight can fluctuate in that range depending on how hydrated you are, when you last did #2s etc. As long as the trend is downwards over time, its all good man.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »
 Marsh - - - - -I have been on Metformin  for several years and have not noticed an increase in weight    I have been 190 -195 for the entire time - - -I am very careful what I eat and not alot of anything at any one time  - -I eat alot of fish- - -  chicken  - -salad and vegetables     meat-  very little - - - -I have a problem with -pasta - -I could eat it at every meal   but now  - -  once a week  

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
Good for you mango. I've got to start eating like you.

Enter your email address: