Author Topic: Tyler's Fitness Goal  (Read 31755 times)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Tyler's Fitness Goal
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 05:28:17 PM »
Amen on the rant!...felt like we should pass the plate.  I agree with you.  I did the Atkins thing in 97 - 99 and managed to pack my colon with all the protein and goo.

In the professor's defense, what I took from his statement at face value when I read it was foods that have all those in one, like yer typical donuts, pastries, cookies (bad carbs [what Tyler mentioned], bad oil [hydrogenated/partially-hydrogenated], and sugar ALL COMBINED.

Yer right about healthy oils.  In addition to olive oil, one of the best is coconut oil.  My wife and I stir a teaspoon into our coffee or tea...it's delicious and good for you.

Another pet peave of mine are "diets" where you can lose weight WITHOUT EXERCISING.  They are so restrictive, you're bound to failure on the SNAP BACK.  Now folks in the straights of desperate morbid obesity....that's a doctor thing.  But Rob is right--get a nice vigorous and consistent exercise program that involves cardio and weight training...and the food thing is less precise....moderation does the trick. 

For years now when I'm locked into a really good fitness groove, I keep it "real" on the food front 6 days a week and have a single "cheat" day.  My kids call it daddy's "junky" day.  Then I'm back on the program immediately the next six days with no hiccup in my progress.  I learned this with Body 4 Life.

This day is used to take the kids for burgers and be able to join them.  Join the buddies for a good hearty and fully-enjoyed Monday night football complete with lots of brewski and stuffed potato shells.....but bright and early back to the oatmeal and weight rack for the next six days FAITHFULLY.

I know my picture here doesn't bear out this advice, but I got outa the groove when we bought our house and moved and all that.  I absolutely DESPISE moving.  So when it comes to all the annoying logistics....I keep a bunch cold beer on hand to ease the process 

I'm starting to get fired up again for another stretch of fitness and training.  One thing many of you might know is muscle has great memory.  Once you've packed it on or toned it up in a serious fashion....it shapes up real quick when you hit it again.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 05:37:28 PM by Robmeister »

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »
Tyler....good job on the first week!!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
Sounds like you're following a good sensible plan.  Someone mentioned the Body 4 Life program.  I've been following that one for a while now (though I've been cheating a little lately and need to get back on track) and I like it a lot.  The basic premise is to always consume  a portion of protein AND a portion of carbs with every meal.  It really does help to keep the hunger at bay.  The protein helps to build muscle and eating protein with carbs slows down the digestion of the carbs and helps keep you full longer.

Egg whites are a great source of protein.  I eat 6 egg whites most mornings with either oatmeal, whole wheat toast or a whole wheat bagel.

Tonalin CLA (congugated lineoleic acid) is a natural supplement you can take that is supposed to help metabolize fat when incorporated into a diet and exercise regimen.  Chitosan is another good supplement - basically dietary fiber that is supposed to help you feel full and prevent the absorption of fat.  Neither is a miracle drug, but every little bit helps.

Be sure to incorporate some variety into your workouts so you don't become too bored with them and so your body doesn't "adjust" to them too quickly. 

Good luck and keep up the good work.  I know it isn't easy, but it's definitely a worthwhile goal.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 10:10:02 PM »
Tonalin CLA (congugated lineoleic acid) is a natural supplement you can take that is supposed to help metabolize fat when incorporated into a diet and exercise regimen. 

Thanks RazorX!  I actually take CLA already.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 11:58:04 PM »
I just got back from the gym right now.  It was tough to get my but there after taking a week off, but it's feels so good once you do. ;D
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 12:00:06 AM »
Ok, here's my week 2 status report.  I gained a bit and moved back up to 120 pounds.  Though, I don't see this as too much of a negative.  I made it to the gym 3 times last week and I think a bit of the weight gain was muscle related.  I think this because my waist is about 1/2 an inch smaller than it was the previous week.

I just got back from the gym, so I'm starting off week 3 right.  I also got back to my eating plan that got side tracked a couple days last week due to holiday parties.  Another status in a week!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 12:19:22 AM »
Ok, here's my week 2 status report.  I gained a bit and moved back up to 120 pounds.  Though, I don't see this as too much of a negative.  I made it to the gym 3 times last week and I think a bit of the weight gain was muscle related.  I think this because my waist is about 1/2 an inch smaller than it was the previous week.

I just got back from the gym, so I'm starting off week 3 right.  I also got back to my eating plan that got side tracked a couple days last week due to holiday parties.  Another status in a week!
You're right on, Tyler!  Too many people actually do more damage then good focusing on onlly weight.  Muscle is denser then fat.  So often you will gain weight when working out especailly if you not getting your heart rate in the "fat burn zone."  Keep with the measuring tape and check every so often with the scale.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:22:33 AM by ar3inc »
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 12:36:28 PM »
So how goes the battle?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »
So how goes the battle?

Thanks for checking Johnny. 

The battle is going good.  I didn't stick to my diet the best this last weekend, but the weekdays have been right on track.  I'm still at the 220 to 222 range depending on the day, but I can tell that the inches are starting to come off around the waist.  I've been hitting the gym consistantly 5 to 6 days a week for the last 3 weeks.  I feel great and have a ton more energy, so it's really positive.

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »
So how goes the battle?

Thanks for checking Johnny. 

The battle is going good.  I didn't stick to my diet the best this last weekend, but the weekdays have been right on track.  I'm still at the 220 to 222 range depending on the day, but I can tell that the inches are starting to come off around the waist.  I've been hitting the gym consistantly 5 to 6 days a week for the last 3 weeks.  I feel great and have a ton more energy, so it's really positive.

That's great to hear.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »
I need to start doing something too. Problem is our home weight bench is at my father-in-law's house. We no longer have room for it in our house. Can't afford to go to the gym either really. Suppose I could start a home-based kinda thing and at least get some cardio in if nothing else.

Sounds like you're doing great Tyler. Stick with it.

I'me actually been avoiding this group of topics because it made me feel guilty...lol
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
Keep it up Tyler. Weight loss should be measured in baby steps (a pound here, a pound there).

I'm trying to get back down to 195 by my b-day (May), which is only about 8 lbs. The thing is, I love to eat and drink my wine/beer/martinis. Ultimately, I want to be able to maintain a constant 190lbs.

Well, I'm literally off for a 4 mile run with the dog and Metallica cranking thru the i-Pod.

Later,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 01:39:30 PM »

Well, I'm literally off for a 4 mile run with the dog and Metallica cranking thru the i-Pod.

Later,
Schro

That'll get ya pumped!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 01:41:11 PM »
gotta love metallica. i know i do.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 01:42:51 PM »
Good stuff