Author Topic: LCD vs Plasma  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Zeekev

• Sly Jr.
LCD vs Plasma
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:42:37 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a new TV and am trying to decide between LCD and Plasma. I'm looking at about a 42" flat screen for my family room. Just finished my basement and moved the 52" (rear projection)down there for the kids.

Any advice??

KC

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: LCD vs Plasma
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »
Z.....that's like choosing between salma hayak or jessica alba.  u can't go wrong with either choice.  i have a plasma that i bought a couple years ago and i luv it.  i won't B able 2 help ya out on giving u some input on the lcd or plasma.  however...we have a lot of sly members that will.  i'm sure you'll get a lot of responses.  anyways...the good thing is that the prices on them R getting lower and lower each year.  this will B a perfect time 2 purchase one.  good luck with your research and keep us posted on your selection.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:27:20 AM »
I'm in the hunt myself and someplace on the forum is a string I started about this.  The initial choice, Plasma/LCD has two main starting points as I see it, price and where the unit is going.  Plasma's are now cheaper for the same size than LCD's but the gap is closing as LCD's get cheaper.  Plasma's have better responses except they don't do well in bright rooms--my reason for closing out plasma for LCD because our family room has loads of windows.  I'm still working on the final unit to buy, and now also working on the installation piece--moving wires etc., and, finally, the source of HD signal, cable or dish provider, bundles a la ATT, or purchased w/ the unit, or direct from the provider.  Lots of decisions but w/ money at $1500-$2500, and a ten year estimated service period, it's worth it.

Offline froze

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:41:08 AM »
I have heard good and bad with both!
I have a friend that has DLP which is thicker than LCD or plasma, but says he likes the picture
much better!
I have heard people say that plasma is old technology!
Don't quite believe that!
I have checked on cnet.com before on what they deem is the right things to buy because they have people who test them! Plus it depends on how you take care of the signal coming in! :P

Offline NicOne

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:00:26 AM »
I would go with the LCD.  If you put the LCD and Plasma next to each other you can see the difference. 

NicOne

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:29:50 AM »
We went with a Samsung DLP 50" and love it.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »
I'm actually in the hunt for two of them myself.  A 42" and a 55".  My buddy who builds high end theaters said that plasma will provide a much cleaner picture on high action movies and gaming because it has a higher refresh rate.  Though, you have to watch out for burning an image in.  LCD on the other hand is better in really bright rooms because of the glare factor.  You can also get LCD's for much cheaper because Wal-mart, Costco, and Target are carrying them.  Though, these units are projected to last half as long as a higher end TV.

That's what I was told.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

NuckinFoob

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:28:35 PM »
While there are many options out there, there are a few things to look for.

If this is going to be the primary movie T.V to the person who is the biggest movie buff and just all around great picture connoisseur, you are going to want to get something that is 1080p.

1080 is the number that represent the number of VERTICAL resolution lines. The more of these, the more details/sharper image you will get.

P refers to what is know as, progressive scan.

You will also run across something like 1080i. The I stands for Interlaced. Steer away from these. Quickly becoming old technology as there compatibility is an issue with.

I do recommend what ever you do if budget is a concern, you go with a TV that features DLP. This will offer you a smoother image at 1080i, you never have to worry about burning an image like earlier mentioned, and you also get the convenience of a easily changeable light source, and they are cheaper than the alternatives as well!!

However, lets be real. And fair, DLP has some draw backs when compared to LCD and Plasma. Some people complain that it hurts their eyes to watch DLP, sometimes a small deficiencies in the pixies ability to get the exact shade of a color correct, and they will have less of a viewing angle.

O0

Offline GaugedFreak

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 07:56:13 AM »
I have a 42 inch plasma, and my friend has a 32 (maybe larger) LCD. My picture looks much better, and the HD stuff is amazing! I have HD cable, HDDVD, and Xbox 360. I don't regret going with the Plasma at all! Light is an issue, but I keep my house pretty dark most of the time anyway.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 04:38:43 PM »
Well, it looks like I will be joining you guys in the ownership of an LCD or Plasma here soon.  Last night, my Panasonic 51" Projection TV literally fried right as I was walking in the door.  I think it was because my wife was watching High School Musical 2 on it and it got offended.  But, either way, it started crackling, buzzing, then poof, a cloud of smoke and it was done. 

A moment of silence please...

So, now it's time to accelerate my purchase of a TV.  I eventually need to buy 2 of them, but I think I'm going to go with the smaller one first.  Probably a 42" LCD.  Later I'm going to go with a 50+ inch Plasma for the theater room.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »
I have a 37" Panasonic Plasma in the basement and absolutely love it!

However, in my living room I'll soon be putting in an LCD due to the amount of light coming in... just not sure what size yet!

rickybobby

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 09:38:26 PM »
i had originally purchased a 37" lcd vizio at my work(costco....shhh dont tell anyone) even though i luved it i returned it(needed some rent money :(....)So now i went on ebay and bid on a 42" vizio for around$1000....a good deal but these bastiches are so slow at shipping and corresponding that it's really pissing me off( filed a claim on paypal.com for my $$) Won the auction on thanxgiving day and still don't have a tracking number or anything... they keep saying it's on it's way but i've run out of patience

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 08:46:23 AM »
They came and installed our new 46" LCD from Samsung yesterday, looks great.  I'm working from home now waiting for DishTV to come and do their bit.  Meanwhile, the old cable company's service, we have and pay for Expanded Basic, it's not supposed to be digital--that's and extra charge of course, but this baby's pumping out the HD channels fine, so why pay for digital when it comes free????
I'm working from home waiting for DishTV to come and install the dish.  Originally we signed for DirectTV but they couldn't get their act together on install so I cancelled them and when Dish.  If these guys don't show, then I guess we stay w/ cable.  I will never understand the laid back attitude of these people, they're supposed to be a service company and they really don't focus on one of the most important aspects of service, prompt, timely installation.  A good start would seem to assure better relations w/ the customer but they obviously don't focus on that.
Also picked up a BlueRay so now I have to find where to rent them, I don't see that I would buy every movie, particularly at $30 plus a disk. 
I'm set for the next two weeks of bowl games, just need some more snacks and spirits of the season.  Hope I don't get so loaded I can't figure out how to change channels!

Offline Zeekev

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
I took the plunge a few days before Christmas and picked up a 40" Samsung LCD for my family room and love it. Put the 52" in the basement, kids love it and have hooked up the video games.  Thanks for the info everyone, it really helped in my decision to purchase.

And Happy new year!!!  O0

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »
freaking sweet bro! When I move into my new house that is the first thing I am hooking up is a sweet theater!
==SLY SERGEANT==

Enter your email address: