Author Topic: on a scale of 1-10, how much does going bald change one's lifestyle?  (Read 24932 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: on a scale of 1-10, how much does going bald change one's lifestyle?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 08:44:49 AM »
Saintc, you were totally right. My problems lie way beneath hairloss. I'm not thinking about suicide or anything like that but sometimes I feel very hopeless.
[/quote]

You don't need to feel that way, it can be treated, please go to a psychologist or doctor and talk this out.  You're not any different than anyone else.  No one has perfect genes and I'm sure that it's been pointed out that people have genetic problems that are worse than yours, millions of Type 1 diabetics for example are probably genetic.  You just need some objective help to see the world in its proper prospective.  Don't be ashamed of seeking out help, I did it in my twenties--they're tough but also wonderful years.  Please tell us you're going to seek out someone with the ability to work this through with you.  Life's too sweet to waste enduring this when you really can get it treated and live to your full potential.

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »
Saintc, you were totally right. My problems lie way beneath hairloss. I'm not thinking about suicide or anything like that but sometimes I feel very hopeless.

You don't need to feel that way, it can be treated, please go to a psychologist or doctor and talk this out.  You're not any different than anyone else.  No one has perfect genes and I'm sure that it's been pointed out that people have genetic problems that are worse than yours, millions of Type 1 diabetics for example are probably genetic.  You just need some objective help to see the world in its proper prospective.  Don't be ashamed of seeking out help, I did it in my twenties--they're tough but also wonderful years.  Please tell us you're going to seek out someone with the ability to work this through with you.  Life's too sweet to waste enduring this when you really can get it treated and live to your full potential.
[/quote]

Nah, I don't need professional help anymroe. Been there done that... didn't help much but it was nice to speak of my problems to someone.

Offline Zeekev

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 01:01:04 PM »
Yep yep, I hope you're able to come to terms with this. You're lucky to have such a great  and enlightened group of guys to run this by. They make alot of sense.

Take care of yourself.

KC

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 12:24:40 PM »
little change, but that is my attitude towards it, you take what life gives you, i actually embraced being bald. and i cant rate it on a 1-10 scale

Offline Tucker-54

• TheTucker
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
I would say it really hasn't changed my life at all......of course i do have to wear a beanie every once in a while, but it really depends on where you live....Me, for example, santa barbara has some of the best weather around, its pretty much always sunny and in the 70's, so it's perfect for the chromage domage. but if you live in antarctica, you might think twice. Also, i think that as a shaved-headian, you get some more attention on yourself, especially with the womenfolk. there are many that enjoy feeling my top whilest exclaiming "Rub Duh Buddah".

hope this stuff helps?
any other sly guys agree?

Offline Uncle Fester

• Fester says...
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »
Hey Guys...I'm BBC (bald by choice) and my freakin' life is now a 10!  Should have done it sooner...IT"S MY LOOK!
I'm 44 and had a full head of blonde hair...OFF WITH THAT SH*T!  The thing I've noticed most is that my self-confidence, which was always pretty solid, has increased ten-fold.  I love the look and feel great about myself.
Wife and kids like it too!
When I'm dead and gone, no one will give a rat's ass about what kind of car I drove or what kind of house I lived in.  All that will matter is that I positively impacted the life of a child.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2008, 02:56:55 AM »
10, my lifestyle is better, i have no more bad hair days, when i had hair, i always had bad ahir days, i alwsys washed my hair every day, but the psorasis created problems, and my head would chaff, then i alwsys had to strach my hair to get all the flakes and dead skin out, and a lot of people complained to me about it, ever since i went sly in 2004, people said that i look a lot better, and that they had a more positive impression of me, and that they will forget my bad hair days

Offline JustColorado

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2008, 05:23:45 AM »
I am a #1 or #0 shaver for 3 months now.  Does that make me sly or do I really really need the straight razor?

Anyway on a scale of 1 to 10 it is hard to say but it was at least 1.  And I developed a theory about small improvements.  This is one of the main principles by which I live my life.

For argument's sake.... Lets call it "Colorado's Exponential Theory or Attraction and Repulsion"

OK here is how the theory goes. 

There are 5 degrees of attraction (6,7,8,9,10) and 5 degrees of repulsion (4,3,2,1,0).  Each degree is 10x stronger than the previous one.

We can rate all of our abilities to attract things, people, events to us on a scale of 0 to 10.  One being the worst 5 being Neutral and 10 being the best.  We can use this scale to measure things such as our ability as an athlete, our ability as a sales person, our ability as a leader, our ability as a worker, our ability to attract the opposite sex.

Therefore a small improvement of just 1 would be a 1,000% improvement making you 10x more effective in that area.  An improvement of 2 would make you 100x more effective. 

I will use the example of a woman but I believe my scale applies to all attributes

OK for the woman
0 - She is Mentally Ill, HIV+, 800 pounds, and has oozing sores all over her body.  An annoying loud voice and she doesn't stop yelling and throwing things at you which are covered in disgusting substances that have oozed out of sores in her skin.  No man on earth would want to even be in the same room with her
1 - One of the worst specimens of the female human, overweight, depressed, bad skin, hideously ugly and a bad attitude as well
2-  This is an extremely ugly woman who looking at is slightly painful to endure.  There also may be things about her personality pushing you away from her.
3-  There are gross features about this woman.  She is quite hideous, and she is 10x worse than the 4.  Yet there still may be some redeemable qualitys
4-  There is something repulsing you about this woman and you are not sure exactly what but you are definitely drawn away from her.
5-   Neutral
6-   There is something attractive about this woman.  But also some things that are unattractive.  While you may be interested you are not going to go that far out of your way over her.
7-   You feel a strong attraction to this woman immediately.  You are drawn to her would take her in lieu of 10 6's.  Yet her powers over you are extremely limited.
8-   Any straight man would jump at the opportunity to spend time with this woman.  Most would straight up marry her if given half the chance.
9-   One of the most beautiful women you have ever seen.  You are breathless just looking at her.  You would give up almost all just to be with her.  She has the ability to ruin marriages, have you waste millions on her, control you completely.
10-  Wars can be fought over women like this.

try to imagine what type of woman would be a 3 and what type would be a 5.  is  a 5 not 100x times better than a 3.  or the same comparison from a 6 to an 8.  or any two degrees on the scale. 

I also believe this scale can be used for every aspect of ones ability. 

So to answer the question I would say at least 1 across the board.  Making everything at least 10x better.

Offline bonanza50

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2008, 10:43:16 AM »
Colorado,

Hmmm, interesting theory you have going there, a quantitative parabolic projection as a function of qualitative observation.

B.

Offline Rafter

• Super Sly
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »
"Colorado's Exponential Theory or Attraction and Repulsion"

OK here is how the theory goes. 

There are 5 degrees of attraction (6,7,8,9,10) and 5 degrees of repulsion (4,3,2,1,0).  Each degree is 10x stronger than the previous one.

9-   One of the most beautiful women you have ever seen.  You are breathless just looking at her.  You would give up almost all just to be with her. 
10-  Wars can be fought over women like this.

Whaaat! No pictures!! Why didn't you illustrate your theory?

#9 and/or #10

Offline gsxr60097

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 06:50:51 PM »
Hi all.  I just wanted to chime in.  I suffer from manic depression, chronic anxiety and other mental illnesses.  The impact on my life has been huge because of this.  I started losing my hair around 18.  I didn't notic until a few years later but it never really bothered me too much until it was un hideable around 26.  I am now 30.  All I can say is with all these problems when I had hair I never once doubted my attractiveness.  Girls would always look at me and it was easy to attract women, although I couldn't go out with them because of my issues.  Now that I am past the point of no return I can see the disgust on some womens face when I flirt or try to dance with them.  It kills me.  30, single, unattractive to the opposite sex (not all but most).  I have only been with one person and that was liek 5 months ago.  I am trying to pick up the pieces and move on startiung my life at 30 literally.  This whole hairloss issue is killing me.  I don't really want to live anymore (likwe I said I am manic depressive).  I scare myself so much.  I have no clue what to do.  I would give anything for my mental health.  that is the most important thing in the world.  But I don't have it.  Like Y-Y said it is a final nail in the coffin for some people.  I know there is something wrong with me.  I just can't fix it.  Tried everything.  Shock therapy, meds everything.  I am at my wits end.  Enough whining.  Back to Obsessing about my hair that I have no control over.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2008, 12:55:06 AM »
Hi all.  I just wanted to chime in.  I suffer from manic depression, chronic anxiety and other mental illnesses.  The impact on my life has been huge because of this.  I started losing my hair around 18.  I didn't notic until a few years later but it never really bothered me too much until it was un hideable around 26.  I am now 30.  All I can say is with all these problems when I had hair I never once doubted my attractiveness.  Girls would always look at me and it was easy to attract women, although I couldn't go out with them because of my issues.  Now that I am past the point of no return I can see the disgust on some womens face when I flirt or try to dance with them.  It kills me.  30, single, unattractive to the opposite sex (not all but most).  I have only been with one person and that was liek 5 months ago.  I am trying to pick up the pieces and move on startiung my life at 30 literally.  This whole hairloss issue is killing me.  I don't really want to live anymore (likwe I said I am manic depressive).  I scare myself so much.  I have no clue what to do.  I would give anything for my mental health.  that is the most important thing in the world.  But I don't have it.  Like Y-Y said it is a final nail in the coffin for some people.  I know there is something wrong with me.  I just can't fix it.  Tried everything.  Shock therapy, meds everything.  I am at my wits end.  Enough whining.  Back to Obsessing about my hair that I have no control over.

Hey bro, I can't remember...have you shaved yet?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline mojim

• "As soon as your born you start dying, so you my as well have a good time"
  • Super Sly
  • "Making my way the sly way"
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »
Wow, pretty deep stuff in these posts...

My lifestyle has not changed a bit...My opinion, it's just hair.. Attitude and confidence are within you regardless of hairstlyles or Slyness..

If mpb bugs you, the sly look is a great option..

It is a cleaner look that does not focus on the mpb..

If you have a full head of hair and go Sly, you can always go back.

Just keep in mind you are who you are no matter which way you go... O0

Offline AlphaQ

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2008, 05:16:40 AM »
The following comments are not directed at anyone in particular -- just general comments for those who are upset about hair loss:

If you're unhappy about your life, don't use your hair or lack thereof as an excuse.  If your hair was the only thing you had going for you, that alone is not sufficient to be successful.  If your life as a bald man sucks, chances are your life with hair would be no better.   We don't always get what we want in this life, but you have to take what you've got and make the most of it.  Maybe some guys would look better with hair.  So what?  I would probably look better if I were taller, thinner and had skin that had the ability to tan.  Getting thinner is something I'm working on.  Taller and tanner are never going to happen for me.  Should I withdraw from the world, become a recluse and curl up in a corner somewhere in a fetal position because of it?

Looks do matter in this world, but if only people with perfect hair, skin, teeth, height, weight, etc. were the ones to be happy and successful, that would leave 99.9% of the population out in the cold.  I fully understand the trauma of hair loss, especially at a young age.  I was 20 when I first noticed mine was starting to go.  But self-pity never solved anything.  Be thankful you are living in a day and age where it's perfectly acceptable and mainstream to shave your head and most people will think that it looks great.  That wasn't an option for previous generations.  I can't imagine how much harder it was for guys who were in this situation 30 years ago.  Count your blessings, live your life, and don't obsess over things that you can't control.

RazorX, you said it! Everything you've expressed is exactly the way I feel about it, which is 'quit whining, and if you're losing hair, take charge of the situation and don't become a victim!'

I shaved my head 4 years ago for the first time, then again 6 months later... and finally for the 3rd time last night! Its such a relief... no fuckin hassles! :)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2008, 06:19:25 AM »
Well said, AlphaQ and welcome to the forum
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost