Author Topic: Cold weather  (Read 15479 times)

Offline green58

• Learning the way of Sly
Cold weather
« on: November 29, 2006, 12:27:39 PM »
New to forums. Bald for a long time. My question is for those of you whom live in cold places (Colorado) Do you continue to shave your head or do you let what u can grow grow and try to keep yourself warm? Im sure u all are aware how cold it gets when you're bald, and wearing hats gets old sometimes, and when your at work (office) its not kosher to wear a wool hat indoors. I hate when i do let my hair grow a little( makes me look old) but i hate being cold all the time.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Cold weather
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:48:37 PM »
I'm in Oklahoma, which gets colder then most give it credit for, and have traveled all over in all seasons (doing quite a bit of work outside).  I keep my head shaved year round.  When it's really cold or I'm going to be stationary for a while, I pull on the beanie.  There is post about this in the advantages/disadvantages.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 12:54:51 PM »
It doesn't get too cold where I live and work, but when I travel during the winter to colder climates I know what you mean.  I never have let me hair grow out to stay warm.  I would only grow it out an 1/2 in or so, and I don't think that would make me much warmer anyways.  I have learned from my hunting experiences in sub freezing weather that you can keep your extremeties warm by keeping your core body warm.  For example, I was in -3 degree weather breaking down our horse saddles and pack sacks without any gloves on.  I was able to do this because I had my core (from waist to neck) warm from wearing breathable, but warm clothes.  I even had my hat off at sometimes because I was too warm.  I remember that my buddy and I had steam coming off our heads; it was quite a site.

I'm sure that Noner, Rob, and others that live in colder climate can help out more with this.

P.S. Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  I moved this post to General Discussion.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 12:57:58 PM by Tyler »
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:16:25 PM »
Green58,

Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't really call the place I live cold (I live in Greece), but the winters here
have been unusually cold over the past 4 years, with temperatures that
drop as low as -10 degrees Celsius (sorry, you'll have to convert that into F - but it's VERY cold).

During the winter I sometimes curse my bald head. The body loses a lot of heat through the head.
So it's always a good idea to wear a skullcap or something else that keeps your head warm.

But to answer your question: No, I don't let my hair grow back in the winter. I wear skullcaps when I'm outside - doesn't always look good, but, hey, what can you do...
And besides, you're rewarded during the hot summer months with a cool head. :)
Who loves ya, baby?

BaldRob

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 01:34:58 PM »
Hi Green58,

I live in one of the coldest places in the universe (north of Chicago).  I don't stop shaving in the winter... Most days I just tough it out, but if it's especially bitter and windy, I'll put a skully on to keep the nugget warm.

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 02:26:50 PM »
Like BaldRob, another cold place is Minnesota. I just started shaving, but I don't see a reason to stop just because it's a little nipply.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »
Don't know if y'all were aware of this....but just like humidity makes a hot temperature feel hotter and more sticky and miserable; snowy weather is VERY different depending on whether or not you're at sea level.  A "humid" cold feels much colder and more miserable than high-altitude cold.

Sea-level snows (N.Y., Philly, Minnesota, etc...) can be miserable at 38 to 40 degrees.  When I lived in Philly, I thought I had my fill of white Christmas's.   But here in Denver (Mile High) it is much different.  A high and dry winter is quite pleasant (aside from what it can do to road conditions).

We went sledding a couple weeks back on a Sunday morning when it was like 14 degrees and it was more pleasant than some of the 35 to 40 degree snows we had in Philly. 

Anyone heard of this?

When we were getting ready to move to Denver from Florida, we had people saying, "Are you nuts...I used to live in Minnesota and lemme tell you....." or "I remember shoveling snow in Manhattan...I will never live in a place where it snows again..."

But I knew I was moving to a high-altitude, way-above-sea-level environment....and we've LOVED it.  I've got a short buzz cut now and will hopefully be shaving completely in January or February....ain't worried a bit about the cold.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 02:58:46 PM by Robmeister »

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
Very true!  Several factors can influence the feeling of a temperature.  Also just like the hot weather there is a point were it is just hot or cold depending on the actual temp.  I lived in Phoenix for a while, and everyone would say in the summer, “oh but it is a dry heat.”  Call it what you will, but 120 degrees is just flipping hot!  Same with cold high altitude or not when you piss and by the time your done it started to freeze into the snow, it is plain F*&%ing cold.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 03:04:01 PM »
from living in colorado for four years and being in the swamp (South Lousyana ) the rest of my life, i will take altitude anyday humidity makes everything worse heat/cold.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »
The cold weather is great!! It gets the circulation going!!
I'm a Chicgolander and a snowboarder. There's nothing like the ingvigorating winds and lake effect snows on the old noggin'. Seriously, I look forward to this time of the year. Especially when my wife gives my head a good rub after I come in from the cold and then we share a cup of hot chocolate and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 07:43:11 PM »
This could well be the coldest weekend of the year here in Denver....And I'm shavin' the noggin.

Right now it's about 6 degrees outside.

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »
This could well be the coldest weekend of the year here in Denver....And I'm shavin' the noggin.
This is the perfect weather to toughen up your scalp. The cold soothes it. The heat irritates and causes bumps and more problems for the 1st-timer.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 08:03:37 PM »
...The cold soothes it.

I read somewhere that after the hot shower and shave to rub an ice cube all over the noggin.  Maybe I'll just go outside and grab a handful of snow for that step!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »
I read somewhere that after the hot shower and shave to rub an ice cube all over the noggin.  Maybe I'll just go outside and grab a handful of snow for that step!!

LOL!  You should have your wife take a picture of you with your head buried in the snow.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 08:17:03 AM »

When I shaved in Dec, the next day it was 1* outside. Make sure you have a beanie ready. It kind of takes your breathe away at first, then liberation flows back in.

Look forward to the pictures!!!!