Author Topic: Rick's Fitness/Health Goals  (Read 22818 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Rick's Fitness/Health Goals
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »
It's hard not to exceed your limit when they've restricted you to maximum heart rate of 140.  I was on the elliptical today and during the 3 minute cooldown period at the end, I watched my heartrate drop from 172.  I wanted to see how much I had to slow down to get to 140, and I really had to concentrate to keep it there.  If my mind drifted for a moment, the heart rate started going back up.  I'm sure once you're on your own you can push yourself a little harder.  You don't have half-kill yourself but you can probably do more than what they've let you do and still be at a moderate pace.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2007, 09:11:58 PM »
Hey Rick, I would think that concentrating on duration of exercise might be of more benefit to you rather than intensity. Maybe treadmill or elliptical at a lower intensity level for a longer period of time as opposed to sprints on the treadmill or bursts on the ellipticals.

I went on a 7 mile run this morning at a leisurely 9:45 pace and got a great workout. Granted, everyone's fitness level is different, but I think you get the picture where I'm coming from.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 04:22:41 AM »
Hey Rick, I would think that concentrating on duration of exercise might be of more benefit to you rather than intensity. Maybe treadmill or elliptical at a lower intensity level for a longer period of time as opposed to sprints on the treadmill or bursts on the ellipticals.

I went on a 7 mile run this morning at a leisurely 9:45 pace and got a great workout. Granted, everyone's fitness level is different, but I think you get the picture where I'm coming from.

That's exactly what I've been trying to learn to do. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2008, 07:51:33 PM »
I just realized that it had been awhile since I had posted any updates.  Last Friday I went to my last Cardiac Rehab session.  Now it is time to make a go of it on my own.  I got lots of good advice from my rehab sessions.  Probably the most valuable thing I got from the rehab sessions was a sense of being able to listen to my body and I got a feel for what it is doing and when I am getting into my "target" heart rate range.  I also learned some things about what to look for when I'm trying to eat more healthy.

I have a couple of pieces of exercise equipment at home and some weights.  I'm going to try get on a consistent routine of 4 - 6 times per week of sessions of 30 - 40 minutes.  This is my "goal" and it may be a little challenging as this first part of the year is my "busy season" at work.  It should be interesting because when I get busy, I tend to eat alot of fast food.

Also, Timmj and Warhawk are also helping me by getting a little challenge going to see who can be the first to take off 10 lbs.  So, my fitnes/Health goals are still going forward.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2008, 09:37:46 PM »
  This is my "goal" and it may be a little challenging as this first part of the year is my "busy season" at work.  It should be interesting because when I get busy, I tend to eat alot of fast food.

This is where planning your meals ahead of time will serve you well.  Bring plenty of things to snack on -- those baby carrots can be a lifesaver.  Apples and oranges are also good.  Keep some Healthy Choice turkey and string cheese in the fridge at work for when you need some protein.  If you make it a point to have healthy and convenient choices on hand at all times, it's a great help in keeping you away from the fast food.

Remember, if God didn't make it, don't eat it!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2008, 06:39:39 AM »
...I would think that concentrating on duration of exercise might be of more benefit to you rather than intensity....a lower intensity level for a longer period of time as opposed to sprints.....or bursts...

Well, that depends on what "benefits" yer after.  First of all, getting out there and running 7 miles ROCKS no matter how ya slice it, Schromeister.  But as far as the high-intensity benefits, Here's what I found on various fitness sites:

MensFitness.com:

"Twenty minutes of high intensity interval cardio increases your aerobic capacity (VO2max) dramatically, maintains lean muscle mass, boosts your metabolism during and after exercise, and burns more fat calories than long periods of low intensity cardio.

Wait a minute! Sound too good to be true? It’s not. In one research study participants who engaged in 90 sessions of traditional cardio over a 20 week period lost 1% bodyfat, while participants who engaged in 25 sessions of moderate intensity cardio then 35 sessions of high intensity cardio over a 15 week period lost 3% bodyfat. Additional studies have shown that participants who engaged in short high intensity training lost 9 times more fat than those who performed long low intensity training. Longer low intensity cardio can actually be counterproductive for more fit individuals because it burns up hard earned muscle decreasing fat burning. 

And basically, for some people, it’s also incredibly boring and time consuming and doesn’t do much for your aerobic capacity.  Aerobic capacity?  There are a lot of folks out there who can run for miles and miles, literally hours at a time at low to moderate intensity but who nevertheless get seriously winded and can't keep up in, for example, a high-energy game of raquetball or full-court basketball"

BodyForLife.com:

"Emphasize quality over quantity when it comes to cardio. Your muscles need stimulation, but they also need rest. It’s better to do 20 to 40 minutes of focused, intense training a few days a week than put forth a LONGER, half-hearted effort every day.

BodyBuilding.com:

High intensity cardio is good for people who don't have hours a week for walking or jogging slowly on a treadmill or covering a lot of real estate outdoors.  The advantage of doing high intensity cardio is that you burn many more calories than low intensity cardio and you burn more fat in a shorter period of time."

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:08:21 AM by Robmeister »

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2008, 06:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the info, Rob.  Very interesting......

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2008, 07:57:01 AM »
Meister, I wonder what the author deems as a "half hearted effort". Should I ask him if an 8:00 pace is half hearted? :/O
I'll take my chances playing full court hoops against this clown, anytime, anyday.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2008, 08:46:55 AM »
The old rule was that jogging was the pace, less than 10/m, and you should be able to carry on a conversation w/ your jogging partner.  The "high intensity" stuff sounds like speed sprints in the old language.  Jogging plus speed sprints will bring off weight and increase cardiovascular conditioning.   But it's rough on the back and joints--that's what took me out of that game--two operations on a ruptured disk w/in 6 months in 2001.  I mention that just to remind everyone that everything, and I do mean everything, has a price.  Aristotle's Golden Mean, nothing in excess, is my motto now.