Author Topic: Rick's Fitness/Health Goals  (Read 22821 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Rick's Fitness/Health Goals
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »

Yes, Warhawk, that will be the hardest part.  Even this past weekend, I really blew it an seemed just pig out on a bunch of junk food.  I even think I put on a few pounds over the weekend.  Making these types of changes to habits that are years old will be the hardest.

I wouldn't try to give everything up all at once.  Make a few improvements in your diet to start with and then gradually work in some more.  Planning your meals ahead of time is vital -- it's too easy to fall off the wagon and grab some junk food when things get hectic.  Having a game plan makes it easier.

I have a terrible sweet tooth, so giving up sweet things was really difficult to me.  It took about two weeks to get all the sugar out of my system.  After that the cravings went away, and as long as I have something healthy to eat to keep from getting too empty, I don't miss the sweets anymore.

Having kids in the house is going to make it more difficult for you because you can't realistically expect them to adhere to your dietary restrictions.  Tell them to keep any junk food they may want in their rooms so it isn't i the kitchen to tempt you.

Good luck!!!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 08:39:12 PM »
I'm on an every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday routine for my rehab/workout sessions.  Today was the second one for this week.  I had mentioned in a previous posting that I was trying to push myself a little bit beyond what the nurses that supervise the sessions are asking for.  It just didn't seem that some of the routines were challenging enough. 

Well today I started out on the treadmill.  They tell you what speed and for what amount of time.  I just kicked up the incline a little bit to make it a little harder.  Then it was on to the elyptical machine.  This is my favorite because it seems to give me the best workout.  Again, I am told what resistance level and time to set the machine on.  I just figured that I would try to hit it as hard as I could.  The machine has a calorie burning counter.  I had a target limit I had set for myself and was looking to meet in my session.  Towards the end, I had really cranked it up and was giving it my all.  At this point I see one of the supervising nurses come running back towards me and telling me to slack off.  I am hooked up to heart monitors and they are tracking my heart activity.  I had gotten my heart rate up to 170.  Target for me is 140.  The nurse startled me and caught me off guard. I had forgot that I was being monitored and I guess they got concerned at having my heart rate at that level right now.  Oh, well, I hit my target calorie burning before they shut me down anyway.  I guess I will have to tone it down and remember that these sessions are not meant to be pushing my endurance.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
I'm on an every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday routine for my rehab/workout sessions.  Today was the second one for this week.  I had mentioned in a previous posting that I was trying to push myself a little bit beyond what the nurses that supervise the sessions are asking for.  It just didn't seem that some of the routines were challenging enough. 

Well today I started out on the treadmill.  They tell you what speed and for what amount of time.  I just kicked up the incline a little bit to make it a little harder.  Then it was on to the elyptical machine.  This is my favorite because it seems to give me the best workout.  Again, I am told what resistance level and time to set the machine on.  I just figured that I would try to hit it as hard as I could.  The machine has a calorie burning counter.  I had a target limit I had set for myself and was looking to meet in my session.  Towards the end, I had really cranked it up and was giving it my all.  At this point I see one of the supervising nurses come running back towards me and telling me to slack off.  I am hooked up to heart monitors and they are tracking my heart activity.  I had gotten my heart rate up to 170.  Target for me is 140.  The nurse startled me and caught me off guard. I had forgot that I was being monitored and I guess they got concerned at having my heart rate at that level right now.  Oh, well, I hit my target calorie burning before they shut me down anyway.  I guess I will have to tone it down and remember that these sessions are not meant to be pushing my endurance.

Way to go Rick!  O0
Take it easy. Although most recommended "doctor's orders" are conservative by nature, there's no need to overdue it.
Your family needs you for the long term.....even though you're a Chiefs' Fan.

All the best,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »

I just figured that I would try to hit it as hard as I could.  The machine has a calorie burning counter.  I had a target limit I had set for myself and was looking to meet in my session.  Towards the end, I had really cranked it up and was giving it my all.  At this point I see one of the supervising nurses come running back towards me and telling me to slack off.  I am hooked up to heart monitors and they are tracking my heart activity.  I had gotten my heart rate up to 170.  Target for me is 140.  The nurse startled me and caught me off guard. I had forgot that I was being monitored and I guess they got concerned at having my heart rate at that level right now.  Oh, well, I hit my target calorie burning before they shut me down anyway.  I guess I will have to tone it down and remember that these sessions are not meant to be pushing my endurance.

I did the elliptical during my cardio workout tonight and also got up in the 170-something heart rate range, so you were going at it pretty hard.  140 seems VERY conservative, though.  Barely moving, in fact.    But at least you burned some calories and proved you can go up to 170 without feeling any ill effects.

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »

I did the elliptical during my cardio workout tonight and also got up in the 170-something heart rate range, so you were going at it pretty hard.  140 seems VERY conservative, though.  Barely moving, in fact.    But at least you burned some calories and proved you can go up to 170 without feeling any ill effects.

I am by no means a fitness expert, but the nurse/fitness monitor (I'm not quite sure if they are nurses or not) said that anything above my target range didn't do me any good.  I don't know if she meant that from a health or fitness perspective.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »

I am by no means a fitness expert, but the nurse/fitness monitor (I'm not quite sure if they are nurses or not) said that anything above my target range didn't do me any good.  I don't know if she meant that from a health or fitness perspective.

From a fitness perspective, you're going to get better results from a higher-intensity workout so going above your target range DOES do some good.  But that's not what you are there for right now and she probably said that to prevent you from doing it again.  I think they're being conservative.  They probably deal with more than their fair share of people with severely damaged hearts and obviously, they would not want them to push themselves that hard.  Before you start to work out on your own, ask your doctor what the maximum level you can push yourself to is.

The cardio machines always tell me that my target heart rate is 147.  I always go way beyond that because 147 isn't even going to cause me to break into a sweat.   Your doctor may not want you to push it to 170, but I'll bet he'll let you go a good bit higher than 140.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »
SlyinKC:  You're on the road, great news.  Just be patient, you didn't get in trouble, although unknowing, in a month and it will take time to get in shape.  Listen to the nurses, just like learning shaving, you've got to learn the gym life, and learn to listen to your body.  You should feel "high" after a workout, not tired--pull back until you leave the joint w/ a high.  When you find that high, you'll be in the gym for life, better than single malt Scotch.  Life is sweet.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:28 AM »
Hey Rick, sorry I'm late on this, but glad to hear you're doing well and working on getting into top shape. Remember not to push yourself too hard, you're body will tell you when it is ok. I think you will need some time to let things heal and adjust.
I do think the rate of 140 is low, but that is what was recommended to start. Maybe as you go week by week, you can bring it up a notch (if you get the OK).

I feel for you on the diet thing, it really is hard to let go of old habits and cravings. The best thing to do is pick your times when you can have a little treat. Also replacing unhealthy snacks with fruit and other good snacks will eventually become second nature to you.
Good luck with everything, and keep us posted. We can all benefit from your input. Us older guys especially.    O0

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 10:38:27 AM »
Hey Rick, sorry I'm late on this, but glad to hear you're doing well and working on getting into top shape.

Yeah Rick...sorry to be late...keep up the good work....I'm right with ya on my end, bro.

Offline SLYinKC

• Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 06:23:03 AM »
Just a quick update.  The cardiac rehab/workout sessions are still continuing, until the end of the year anyway.  After that my insurance probably won't pickup the cost, so I may just try to go it on my own.  I went to my doc yesterday for my 1 month checkup after the procedure.  All appears to be doing well and the heart sounded fine.  He also stressed that I should not be trying to push the heart rate beyond the target range of around 140 (for now anyway).  So I will continue to try to behave and hold back in the workouts.

I will go back to my cardiologist in January for another stress/treadmill test and cholesterol check to see how my heart (and body) is responding to the drugs and the procedure.  Even though my cholesterol is not that high, the doc mentioned that he will probably want to add an additional cholesterol drug to help the (good) cholesterol and a blood pressure med because it has some additional heart benefits.  I feel like I already have a whole drug store in my bathroom the way it is.  But I guess the results without the drugs would be worse. :Xo!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 07:12:48 AM »
rick.....keep up the updates and listen 2 your cardiologist.  whatever it takes.... your family needs ya and besides i need someone  2 make fun of when baseball season starts. :*))

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 07:13:21 AM »
Rick, great to hear the positive progress underway.  Know the feeling about the drugstore in the cabinet business, but it is all for the good.  Keep up the good work
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 07:22:47 AM »
Keep it up. Hopefully the weather will let you get outside for some cardio.
All the Best!
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Just a quick update.  The cardiac rehab/workout sessions are still continuing, until the end of the year anyway.  After that my insurance probably won't pickup the cost, so I may just try to go it on my own. 

I'm sure your physical therapist can recommend a good place to continue and give you an outline for a one year plan.  Considering the benefits, a gym/health club membership is cheap. It's a habit, and although a good one and hard to get into, at least you know it.  Plus, you're setting a good example for your kids. Don't worry about the meds, at least they have them now and they can help provide you with a reasonable assurance of keeping the problems under control.  You have to remember, you're going to LIVE with this, not suffer it.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 10:17:38 PM »
Just a quick update.  The cardiac rehab/workout sessions are still continuing, until the end of the year anyway.  After that my insurance probably won't pickup the cost, so I may just try to go it on my own. 

I'm sure your physical therapist can recommend a good place to continue and give you an outline for a one year plan.  Considering the benefits, a gym/health club membership is cheap. It's a habit, and although a good one and hard to get into, at least you know it. 

Be sure to inquire if your health insurance will reimburse part of your membership fee.  I get $150 a year towards mine -- not a fortune, but every bit helps.