Author Topic: Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel  (Read 3526 times)

Offline kojakJR

• Sly Jr.
Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel
« on: November 23, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am planning to purchase one of these bad ass trucks. I have been driving japanese cars all my life but none of my past vehicles had 610 lb ft of torque >:D. Anyways has anyone had any experience with the dodge cummins diesel trucks? Are they really as reliable as they say? If anyone has had experience working of them or even has one please let me know what you think of the truck.

Thanks

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:27:40 AM »
I have not personally owned one, but the guys that I hunt with in Montana every year swear by them.  I've seen them pull a huge trailer through the snow and mud like it was nothing. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:03:55 AM »
I have never owned one either but the other day while driving thru town I had to stop for a train and I thought it was the strangest looking engine i have ever seen.  It was a dodge pulling the train.  But heck you should have seen who was all riding in the box cars....it was all of the SBG guys!  ...... :*))

On a serious note though....I have heard they really do live up to their name...and are very good.  But like anything else....you mentioned about working on them.  Heck anymore with how they build things...I just take the car in to the mechanic anytime it needs something serious....not worth the trouble of tryin to figure it out.  Not like it was about 20 years ago when you could reach and grab anything you needed to reach without removing this or moving that....

Offline kojakJR

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:59:13 AM »
Well I test drove one today guys and all I can say is AMAZING! You really do feel like you are driving an 18 wheeler especially with the 6 speed. But one thing I was concerned about was the transmission. I have heard that Dodge has really crappy automatic trannys but what about the 6 speed manual? Are they as bad? Also I asked the dealer if I could get a hold of maintainence records for the 2500 model but they said they couldn't really pull them up (It's the auditor in me sorry guys). I just dont want to shell out 33000 thousand and then find out my transmission is gone only after 18000 miles.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline kojakJR

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 04:16:13 PM »
Hey Tyler thankyou for the links, well looks like I am planning to get one now I just need to look for a good price, thanks again.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 05:52:59 PM »
Hey Tyler thankyou for the links, well looks like I am planning to get one now I just need to look for a good price, thanks again.

You're very welcome!

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 07:39:54 PM »
I had a Diesel F350, I loved it, just got to where fuel was killing me, so traded it in for my Miata and bought a 97 chevy 1 ton gasser that sits unless I need a truck.  I will say I loved my diesel when towing, it was a beast.

I've a friend selling his 97 Dodge Cummins, general consensus is that the auto tranny's are crap, they go out, the manuals are good.  He upgraded his tranny with a custom built $5k tranny that just tows awesome, and he's got the power now.  I like the Cummin's engines, the best on the market, their bodies seem to be cheaper the the other two, Ford has the best in that department IMO.  Chevy's diesel's seem to be weaker and not long lasting, but they have the Alison automatic tranny's that rock. 

If your going to tow with it, you will want a pyro gauge, I had a digital one that told me what my exhaust gases were, you will want one that can go in the exhaust manifold, not pre turbo.  Will save your turbo from overheating.  Also a boost gauge so you don't over boost.  Diesels rock for towing, but are very expensive to maintain.  My fuel filters were $30 a pair, air filter was $60, oil filters were $16, and took 15 qts of oil, and parts and labor charges are out of this world.

I did the math on daily driving my F350, maintenance, etc and getting my chevy gasser with a 454 was a better option.  I don't get the milage a diesel does, but parts are cheap, maintenance is cheaper, and it more the makes up for not having the diesel.

Do lots of research, there are several dodge cummins boards out there, good luck in your hunt.
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 08:20:32 AM »
Everyone else pretty much covered it. All the guys I know with a Cummins say get the 5 or 6 speed. Sure there are some upgrades for the autos, but you'll see better mileage and have better command of the vehicle when towing. IMHO.

When you have found one ya like, post a pic! That's what I wanna get when I grow up....he he he
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline kojakJR

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:36:13 AM »
Thank you for all the help, and yes I definately will post a pic when I get it  O0

Enter your email address: