Author Topic: SBG & RSS feeds  (Read 2361 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
SBG & RSS feeds
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:21:17 PM »
Does anyone else use RSS feeds to keep up-to-date on the SBG site? I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I use Thunderbird 2's feed reader. The problem is that it downloads each feed twice. Has anyone else come across this? And, does any one know how to fix it?

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: SBG & RSS feeds
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 02:40:43 PM »
Does anyone else use RSS feeds to keep up-to-date on the SBG site? I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I use Thunderbird 2's feed reader. The problem is that it downloads each feed twice. Has anyone else come across this? And, does any one know how to fix it?

I use the RSS feeds with Google Homepage and I don't have any issue with duplicates.  Let me see if I can try out the Thunderbird reader to see what's going on.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:49:20 PM »

I use the RSS feeds with Google Homepage and I don't have any issue with duplicates.  Let me see if I can try out the Thunderbird reader to see what's going on.

I have no idea WTF either of you just said.  :/O

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »

I have no idea WTF either of you just said.  :/O

LOL! 

RSS (really simple syndication) is a way to monitor websites that get updated on a regular basis without having to go to the website.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:55:52 PM »
Doug, are you having it download the entire web page or just the content of the post?  On the duplicate message, are the time stamps the same or is it just that the content is the same?

I just tried it with Thunderbird and I'm not getting duplicate entries when I look at the time stamps.  But, if I download the entire web page, the content in the 1:15 post is the same as the 1:25 post because it downloads the whole web page containing all the posts when you look at the post, not when it gets posted.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:22:55 PM »
I am downloading the entire post because I like to see the content of the entire post.

Something just dawned on me. I have a plugin for RSS feeds. I wonder if I am double downloading the feeds because of TBs built in setting and because of the plugin's setting.....hmmmm....

I'll have to test in in the morning on the computer that has TB on it. I'll let you know what I find out.

Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 06:23:44 AM »
Something just dawned on me. I have a plugin for RSS feeds. I wonder if I am double downloading the feeds because of TBs built in setting and because of the plugin's setting.....hmmmm....

That was it! I was downloading it twice. Once through Thunderbird's default settings and again with the plugin's settings. Some of this content is so good that I just had to read it twice! :D :D

Thanks for bearing with me as I thought this through out loud.