Author Topic: Sun....In Cancun  (Read 3816 times)

Offline thebaboun

• Sly Jr.
Sun....In Cancun
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
Hi guys,

I have an important question. I was living in Montreal for a while and now I am in Cancun...big weather change. I was wondering if I should WEAR A HAT or if I can go out there in the sun (every day) while having some sunscream

If I can use sunscream....how many times should I put it every dayand what factor should I use ?

the sun is really strong here, but I do not know if a cream could be enough for that, or if I would really have to wear a hat!

thank you!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Sun....In Cancun
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
I'd say use both sunscreen and a hat.  Try an SPF 30.  There've been news stories that the SPF's higher than that are not very effective. 

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »
I just got back from the Sinai peninsula in Egypt a couple of days ago. The sun/heat/UV is much higher there than in Cancun, and I wore a cap occasionally but most of the time my head was exposed, and I used a high factor (SPF30 and SPF50) sunscreen. I was there for just over 2 weeks and I didnt have any problems, and I was probably out in the sunshine for 5-6 hours a day. I'm very dark skinned though, and I used to live in the middle east, so my skin is kind of used to intense sunshine. I think the general rule should be 'if in doubt, cover up'. Better safe than sorry  :)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »
Sunscreen to be effective has to be reapplied on a regular basis during the day--see package instructions.  Also, make sure you buy one that is effective against both UV-A and UV-B sun rays.  Because sweat will reduce the effectiveness of the product, no matter what they say, in extreme sun such as Cancun and similar places, a good hat is also wise if you're one who burns rather than tans easily.  

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
I burn easily, so sunscreen and a hat are a must for me.  Another reason for the hat is to keep the direct heat of the sun off the scalp and keep you a little cooler.

If you are going to be active and sweat a lot or go in the water, then you'll have to reapply sunscreen frequently.  Also remember that sunscreen blocks the sun for a period of time, but even with sunscreen, over exposure can lead to a burn.  So use caution until you feel adjusted to the different climate.

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:52:18 PM »
I'm molting. I decided last week I wanted to finally get rid of my white head while I knew I would be out in the AZ sun for 4 hours last Saturday. I put "Deep sun tanning lotion" on every hour that morning, needless to say, I came away from it with a pretty good burn.  WEAR A HAT WITH SUNBLOCK!  :) LOL

Interesting fact, SPF 30 is NOT twice the strength of SPF15, the numbers really don't mean anything, that's why the FDA is changing that this year.
AKA Gimpy

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »
A hat and sunscreen are both a must and, oh yeah, don't drink the water.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
The protection provided by an SPF number depends on your skin and coloration. A person with darker skin will get longer protection from a 15 than a fair skinned person will get from a 30. That's what's so confusing about it. Plus none are truly sweatproof. That's a false claim. Hence I say be prepared with both sunscreen and a hat. Better to be careful and develop great coloration over a little longer time than to burn and peel!