Author Topic: Double Edge Safty Razors - Anyone tried them?  (Read 36519 times)

Offline brooklynlou

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Double Edge Safty Razors - Anyone tried them?
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 09:35:18 PM »
OK GUYZ, way earlier in this thread ONE of the MAIN pluses about the D/E razors was the savings, correct?  WELL after you buy this handle and that handle and then this type brush and that type bristle brush and then this brush and this type mug soap and the other type mug soap and you try blade a, then blade b, then blade c which you like but it wont fit in handle c so you have to buy a DIFFERENT handle , HOW can you HONESTLY say , youve SAVED ANY $$$ ?  And then MOST of the guyz STILL dont try to do the DOME with the d/e razor, ya have a DIFFERENT one for that .  I WANNA HEAR from ANYBODY , that has the testicular fortitude to STILL/AGAIN be shaving face and OR dome with the CHEAPEST razor , the ol' straped straight blade , COME ON GUYZ,  IMPRESS ME !!!

Boars head brush = $10
DE Razor new = $20 (you can get an old one cheaper off the bay)
Soap = you already have soap
Mug = you have a coffee mug
Razors = $2.5 for a pack of 10

So for an initial investment of $30 - 40 you have:
- A razor that will out last you
- You no longer have to spend money on gels and canned creams
- Since most people get one week of shave from each side, you basically spend $.50 a month to shave your face and head.
- Once the razor become too dull for your face its PERFECT to shave your head. No need for extra blades.

In my previous pic, the Black Handled Gillette super speed DE I use to shave my dome is probably the cheapest razor you can buy off ebay - around 2 - 4 dollars.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
Great advise brooklynlou, I have been having fairly good luck with DE shaving on my face.

I have a gillete simular to the one you have pictured and use mug soap and a brush.

I am getting a bit better at it and it does give me a great shave although I am not ready to give up my headblade for DE. The headblade works faster and better than any other I have ever used so I am quite happy with it, especially after taking the extra time it takes me to DE shave my face.

I will attack the skull with the DE after the holidays and see if there is any improvement over the HB.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline brooklynlou

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 11:39:01 AM »
I will attack the skull with the DE after the holidays and see if there is any improvement over the HB.

Definitely give it a shot. Its a lot easier to shave your head with a DE than your face. Those Gillette Super Speeds are very gentle razors. Like all DE's they have a personality. They have a small blade exposure and really can't hurt you and only work right within a certain narrow angle range. Too shallow, or too steep? You get a mediocre shave, but no nicks. Figure out the angle? Great shave all the time.

The way people get mangled with the Super Speeds (and DE's in general) is that rather than change the angle and let the weight of the thing do the shaving, they try to get a close shave by adding more pressure to the razor or holding it with clenched fingers. End result being the compressed skin gets stuck in the area where the blade is exposed and then "ouch".

Just lather up your head and drag the thing (holding it with your finger tips) lightly across your dome. You'll swear nothing is happening, but when you look down at the razor, it will be full of hair.

Offline froze

• Sly
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 12:47:12 PM »
May have to try also! Have the cup and brush but no razor!

I even have the old DE blade sharpener! Nostalgic!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2007, 06:25:49 PM »

Definitely give it a shot. Its a lot easier to shave your head with a DE than your face. Those Gillette Super Speeds are very gentle razors. Like all DE's they have a personality. They have a small blade exposure and really can't hurt you and only work right within a certain narrow angle range. Too shallow, or too steep? You get a mediocre shave, but no nicks. Figure out the angle? Great shave all the time.

The way people get mangled with the Super Speeds (and DE's in general) is that rather than change the angle and let the weight of the thing do the shaving, they try to get a close shave by adding more pressure to the razor or holding it with clenched fingers. End result being the compressed skin gets stuck in the area where the blade is exposed and then "ouch".

Just lather up your head and drag the thing (holding it with your finger tips) lightly across your dome. You'll swear nothing is happening, but when you look down at the razor, it will be full of hair.

Thanks for the tips!  And welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline sgbsteve

• BBC And Lovin It
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2007, 07:11:32 AM »
I too have been shaving my face with a DE for a while now and I love it.  I haven't tried it on my dome yet but perhaps one day.  I have also been experimenting with straights but the learning curve on them is higher than with the DE and I haven't put in enough practice time yet to become proficient.  I usually end up doing one or two passes with the straight and then finishing up with the DE. 

Shaving with a DE or a straight can be either very expensive or very inexpensive.  If you stick with the basics you will end up saving a lot of money.  What often hapens is you browse the forums and develop one or more of the various "Aquisition Disorders" (Razors, Soaps, Creams, Brushes, Etc.) and that is when it gets expensive.....and starts eating up valuable bathroom real estate.

P.S.  As stated before there is no reason you can't use a brush and a nice soap/cream with a cartrige razor.  Lathering up with a nice hot brush is just a wonderful experience.  I personally like Colleens at The Gentlemens Quarter but there are many brands to choose from and even the Williams you can get for a buck at the drug store gives a really good shave.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
I have been DE shaving for about 2 month now and at first I did not enjoy it. I started out with a Merkur HD and Merkur blade. This combination was very rough and cut me alot. I bought several vintage Gillette off of Ebay and fell in love with them.

I now use a Gillete Tech and Personna blades. It is so soft and smooth and I never cut even on the neck. I use a badger brush and alot of different kinds of British creams. I used to totally dread shaving but now I look foward to it. There is nothing better than rubbing hot later on your face that smells like rose, lavender or lime.

DE shaving take concentration and more time than regular shaving. But IMO the rewards from it are soo much better.
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline sgbsteve

• BBC And Lovin It
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2007, 01:54:16 PM »
I'm using a Tech and Personna blades also.  One of these days I'll get a sample pack and experiment with some other brands.  I got these because the were $11 shipped for 100 on Ebay.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2007, 12:15:35 PM »
I'm using a Tech and Personna blades also.  One of these days I'll get a sample pack and experiment with some other brands.  I got these because the were $11 shipped for 100 on Ebay.

Steve, I have tried many brands of DE blades. I bought a sampler pack and for some reason nothing is as gentle as Personna blades. Everything else seems way to aggresive and lead to nicks. have you tried DEing the head yet? I was going to last night but got scared  :*))
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline sgbsteve

• BBC And Lovin It
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2007, 09:32:48 PM »
I haven't tried the DE on the head yet.  I did try about half a pass with the straight this morning.  No nicks but it was pretty painful so I swithched back to the headblade.  That learnin curve on the straight can be painful until you get the angles etc down.

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
Re: Double Edge Safety Razors - Anyone tried them?
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2008, 09:51:16 PM »
here is some info i found on DE shaveing. i found it pretty informative. it gives some great info for double edge shaving and web sites to buy brushes and shave creams that seem pretty reasonable yet high quality.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:02:12 PM by sparkster123 »

Offline sgbsteve

• BBC And Lovin It
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2008, 07:14:28 AM »
good article sparkster.  I enjoyed reading it.

Offline waliguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
Another DE shaver here.  DE on the face, Mach III on the dome.  It's a great combo for me.

Quick story.  Yesterday, I was rushed in the morning, and cut my normal shave routine into a shortened version.  I used the Mach III on the face and dome.

By midday, the stubble has started.

If affirmed my belief that the DE is a better way for me to go on my face.  Gives me a significant closer shave.  Plus it adds to the enjoyment I get from the creams, soaps, and badger brush.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »
I gotta get into these magical creams and soaps you guys are using. I just use williams and it works good but sounds like there are some better ones out there I should try.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »
I gotta get into these magical creams and soaps you guys are using. I just use williams and it works good but sounds like there are some better ones out there I should try.

Dude there are amazing soaps and creams out there to use. Everything from Proraso, to Geo F Trumper, Taylor Of Bond Street, Billy Jealousy ect...
==SLY SERGEANT==