Author Topic: Double Edge Safty Razors - Anyone tried them?  (Read 36162 times)

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
Re: Double Edge Safty Razors - Anyone tried them?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »
I got my DE razor this weekend. It needs a good cleaning and I need to get some blade but I will post up my results sometime this week.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

X The Hierophant

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 03:58:48 PM »
I got my DE razor this weekend. It needs a good cleaning and I need to get some blade but I will post up my results sometime this week.

Good luck man.  O0

I am waiting for the weekend myself so I can take more time with the first shave...  I'll be starting out with Derby blades.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 01:41:27 PM »
mark & X.....good luck with the DE razor that u guys recently purchased.  looking 4ward 2 your reviews... hopefully it will  b  all good. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 10:13:15 PM »
Marz and X how is the DE shaving coming?
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 04:19:44 PM »
I've been exclusively shaving my head with DEs for a year. I use Derby, Feather and Israeli blades depending on the razor. Certain razor prefer different blades.
:@`

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 04:33:23 PM »
I am awaiting the arrival of my blades.

should be here any time.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 05:28:15 PM »
Well I finally got some blades and gave the ol Gillette saftey razor a try.

I got an immaculate shave although it was a much slower process (most likely due to my fear of slicing my face open). The rinsing is great, it does not get packed with hair like the fusion or Quattro do.

Right under my nose and the ball of my chin were especially tricky but with a good mirror and a steady hand it turned out great.

All in all it was a very clean and smooth shave and although it wasn't as easy as the modern cartridge razors I didn't have to re-shave any spots (other than spots I missed due to my un-honed technique) and I got far less irritation on my neck.

I have also been using a brush and mug soap for some time now, so I am now officially "old timey".

I am going to use this for shaving for awhile and let you guys know how it works out after I am a bit more used to it.

It will definitely be awhile before I attack the dome with this thing but for the face its a winner.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 05:33:20 PM »
Sweet review, thanks Marz.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 08:31:54 PM »
marz.....thanks 4 the review.  i hope 2 one day purchase one as well.  i guess...the real test is when u scrape that dome. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

X The Hierophant

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 03:34:05 PM »
Well, I have tried my DE Safty razor several times now and suprisingly I hate it.  It gets a very close shave but takes forever and I cut my self VERY often.  I do however like the brush and shaving cream for face shaves, but do not use any of that with the head shaves.  I found that headslick works much better for me without a brush, so for me I use the following products now:

Face
(1) Gillete Sensor Excel
(2) Shaving cream used with brush

Head
(1) Headblade Sport with Sesor Excel blades
(2) Head Shed
(3) Baby Oil
(4) Head Slick
(5) Head Lube

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »
Well I finally got some blades and gave the ol Gillette saftey razor a try.

I got an immaculate shave although it was a much slower process (most likely due to my fear of slicing my face open). The rinsing is great, it does not get packed with hair like the fusion or Quattro do.

Right under my nose and the ball of my chin were especially tricky but with a good mirror and a steady hand it turned out great.

All in all it was a very clean and smooth shave and although it wasn't as easy as the modern cartridge razors I didn't have to re-shave any spots (other than spots I missed due to my un-honed technique) and I got far less irritation on my neck.

I have also been using a brush and mug soap for some time now, so I am now officially "old timey".

I am going to use this for shaving for awhile and let you guys know how it works out after I am a bit more used to it.

It will definitely be awhile before I attack the dome with this thing but for the face its a winner.

Congratulations; Once you've mastered shaving your face with a Real razor you'll start to become dissatisfied with the head shave your getting from your cartridge razor.
By then you will be in control of the blade not depending on the pivoting head to maintain proper blade angle. Once you shave your head with a DE there will be returning to plastic razor and their expensive cartridges. O0
Bob

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:49 AM »
I had one when i was a teen and it hurt a lot.... i was always in pain never had a clean face and they hurt so much mind you i didn't know how to use it properly i'm sure
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »
I had one when i was a teen and it hurt a lot.... i was always in pain never had a clean face and they hurt so much mind you i didn't know how to use it properly i'm sure

Check this out for information on the proper use of a DE razor.
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=1cb503dcd0fa5f35b0f60252386dcbac
Bob.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 11:57:35 AM »
Cool, thanks for the link Cooncatbob!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 12:01:48 PM »
quote author=X The Hierophant link=topic=3201.msg64256#msg64256 date=1197239645]
Well, I have tried my DE Safty razor several times now and suprisingly I hate it.  It gets a very close shave but takes forever and I cut my self VERY often.
[/quote]

Besides the above, I also feel it is much more time consuming with an old DE razor.
I'll stick with my trusty Atra or Sensor double or Mach III.

And as for the dome, why even consider this in this day and age, when we have a perfect tool for the job?

The HeadBlade does the job smoothly and easily, as it was intended to do.