Author Topic: Change of career for being bald  (Read 9022 times)

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
Re: Change of career for being bald
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 05:04:49 AM »
A clear, concise, well thought out presentation to an employer can go a long way. Whatever you do, don;t go in coming off as though you are complaining, or even asking for permission. But rather, in sort of seeking clarification as in:

"I understand why our company dress code prevents certain kinds of physical appearances, like tattoos, piercings and long or unkept hair as a cleanliness issue. However, baldness being what it is in this day and age, and what with so many popular figures, including actors, athletes, politicians and military personal shaving their heads these days (provide examples), as an employee and a valued part of the company, I'd like to suggest that the company look at this particular part of the dress code and consider revision as this seems a bit discriminatory in our modern world. By saying that employees cannot shave their heads, our company could be seen as implying that baldness (a natural human state) is undesirable, unpleasant, unwanted and unacceptable. Thanks for listening to me, and discussing this topic with me."

Or something like that... anyway, like I said, don't complain, but certainly verbalize your thoughts and feelings. Mike it clear that you are simply interested and concerned. Explain your own point of view and listen to the reasons offered. A number of major corporations, especially older ones, wrote their employee materials a long time ago and they don't revise them until someone speaks up. Heck, you might be the one that changes this particular policy.

I never knew my employer would let me wear my black UtiliKilt to work, until I asked... and I work with th puublic every day. so, ya never know.

If it's approached respectfully, reasonably and openly, there's never anything wrong with privately questioning a companies policies.

Just my own 2 cents...
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 08:40:51 AM »
shdwwlk the company´s dress code clearly states that no shaved heads are allowed but it doesn´t say to which guard.

There´s some folks where i work who have shaved heads, not to a zero but to a #1 and they look better than with hair so i think it´s a matter of looking good and clean but like i said above i think the company sees a zero shaved head too agressive and that can go against some passengers beliefs or thoughts, like thinking we are skinheads and that our country is nazi lol

Vash someday i will speak with my major boss to see if she agrees or not but as i do know her i don´t think she will agree. Anyway my confidence is more important and i really wouldn´t feel comfortable with that horseshoe pattern speaking with the public...i´m just 24 years old ffs.

My hair still covers my head but by the time i´m 26 or 27 years old i will be bald.

My life isn´t just work, i have something more outside of an airport and i would be more comfortable if i get used to having a shaved head now than waiting for the hair to fall out.

What i´m affraid of is going against the decision of my boss and still shave it and that IS GOING TO HAPPEN   >:D

I hope the degree i´m taking can get me a good job though

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »
I guess I am lucky.  I work for a medium sized company (6000 employees).  Our company dress code only has a vague statement prohibiting "extreme hair styles". 

I had a manager make a comment to me once, and I just replied, "Maybe you should ask Mr. X if he thinks it's 'extreme'."   Mr. X is a senior vice president who has been sly since they hired him several years ago.  Nothing more was ever said.

Another interesting thing is that I recently saw an article in a business magazine about one of the large shampoo companies.  I forget whether it was Helene Curtis or Alberto Culver, but they had a picture of their president and CEO in the article, and he  is SLY.

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 08:02:18 AM »
Stuff like that .. thats EXACTLY why I work for myself.  I'm tired of that crap!

jp_bald

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »
hey fabio!!!
shaved your head!!!

marty22

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
Vash: after seeing your earrings, I'm getting my re-pierced.  LOL

Offline nicolasraage

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »
so does this company allow naturally bald people, or do they just discriminate to the bbc crowd?    :o

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »
I still haven´t shaved my head (or should i say hair  :*)) ) because i still have lots of it and i´m still working in the same company.

I´ve changed my plans a little since i´m only a year from finishing my degree then i have more possibilities to change jobs and then finally shave the hair. :)

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
well let me say for me........... I work for one of the largest telecomunication company in canada..... also an affilate from the US of A.........Primus Canada.......and discrimination is something that every company should be worried about. either be skin color, religious background, and yes even a hair cut.........

you should not ask for permission to die your hair, cut your hair, shave your head.

when I first shaved my head .. they where LIKE WTF Dan..what's your problem..........

ME I asked....................... I have no problem. why .. Well why did you shave ur head. well to be honest I don't need to answer that.......... Me is me........ it doesn't interfere with my duty's.
You Sir are one Bonafide Sly Guy, You have the correct ATTUTUDE
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline stevos148

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »
I work in healthcare as a physician. Before going sly just a few weeks ago, I always had pretty short buzzed hair ~#1 or #2. Nobody was bothered.

When I went sly I was really anxious about going back to work, but the reaction has been amazingly positive, from both patients and fellow professionals alike. Just because my head now shines under the hospital lights, I am still the person I have always been. It makes absolutely no diffrerence. I am still perfectly capable at doing my job.

I hate hearing about company policies etc. So outdated and discriminatory. I would have a field day with any manager who tried to confront me about my choice of hairstyle.

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

Enter your email address: