Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 623919 times)

Offline BBatts

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #495 on: January 22, 2008, 09:42:13 AM »
Hey, new to the site and relatively new to shaving my head.  I've tried the Extreme3 disposables (worked great) the Mach 3 (worked better), the HeadBlade (great feel, too many knicks), and the Fusion (close shave, but because the blade head is so big, it does not contour as good as the Mach 3).  So as of now, I am sticking with the Mach 3, but headblade also just came out with a triple blade, so I am waiting for a pack of those to arrive.  I am thinking with the ergonomical feel of the headblade, and the shave quality of three blades, I may have found a winner.

I've had much success with the Schick Quattro disposable blade (3 in a pack), but I would have to say the Mach 3 (MP3) blade is a little better. The one advantage to the Quattro is that it's cheaper ($6.89).

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #496 on: January 22, 2008, 08:14:29 PM »
Have you been to the Titanic Museum? It's well worth the trip for the History buffs.   O0 Although I wouldn't recommend it for children under 10.

Sure I have been to the titanic museum. I think it is killer. I like how they give u the identity of a real person. Well worth the time.
Saw the display twice, Tampa and the US opening in Memphis; very sobering but a great exibit
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ryebread

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #497 on: February 04, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the last two times I shaved my head I had to switch from the head blade I just bought to the Power Fusion that I have been shaving my face with for a while now. It seems that when I take a stroke that almost no hair comes off with the head blade. Also I know I can't be the only one that has a lumpy head. It seems like no matter how many stroke I take the blade just wont get a smooth shave in some of the dips. Any Ideas?

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #498 on: February 04, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the last two times I shaved my head I had to switch from the head blade I just bought to the Power Fusion that I have been shaving my face with for a while now. It seems that when I take a stroke that almost no hair comes off with the head blade. Also I know I can't be the only one that has a lumpy head. It seems like no matter how many stroke I take the blade just wont get a smooth shave in some of the dips. Any Ideas?

I had the same problem with the Headblade.  That, along with the cuts, made me give up on the Headblade.  It doesn't matter what you use, just find what works for you.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #499 on: February 05, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »
RYEBREAD-

Did you recently change b;ade types/brands or the HB? I changed a while back to doubles and tore up my scalp... back to the triples and no problem. i also have a bit of a "wavy" bean and just slow down in those areas or shave in multiple directions.

And then there is the obvious and I hesitate to even mention it..... make sure whenyou loaded the blade you put it in facing the correct direction.... ::)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline ryebread

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #500 on: February 05, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »
RYEBREAD-

Did you recently change b;ade types/brands or the HB? I changed a while back to doubles and tore up my scalp... back to the triples and no problem. i also have a bit of a "wavy" bean and just slow down in those areas or shave in multiple directions.

And then there is the obvious and I hesitate to even mention it..... make sure whenyou loaded the blade you put it in facing the correct direction.... ::)
Well I only used the triple blade that it came with and it was already loaded. I tried the multiple direction thing it just seems like the blade can't get into the dip. I mean i feel which way it's growing and shave the oppisite way using multiple strokes and it won't get it.

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #501 on: February 17, 2008, 02:21:43 AM »
I talk to a lot of guys who shave their head.  It seems that it's becoming a more popular thing to do now, or I'm just noticing it more.  Anyways, I usually ask what razor they use to shave their head.

The number one answer I get is...you guessed it...the Mach 3.

Now, I don't use the Mach 3.  In fact, I don't even use a straight razor.  Instead, I use a Remington!  That's right...I use an electric razor!  It's the only way to go for me.  I get just as smooth of a shave as using a Mach 3, but without the cuts and razor burn.  Plus, the overall cost is much cheaper in the long run.

Tell us, what do you use?

Hi Tyler

Just curious as to your routine for head shaving with the electric razor.  I managed to unearth a rather antiquated Remington electric razor and I am considering trying it instead of shaving my head with the Mach 3 razor. 

Cheers

Offline Barbarian

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #502 on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
Hey Bro's

I've just changed over to a Fusion from a Mach 3 and I am happy with the improved closeness it gives me, quicker and smoother shave, gotta be good !!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »
I talk to a lot of guys who shave their head.  It seems that it's becoming a more popular thing to do now, or I'm just noticing it more.  Anyways, I usually ask what razor they use to shave their head.

Now, I don't use the Mach 3.  In fact, I don't even use a straight razor.  Instead, I use a Remington!  That's right...I use an electric razor!  It's the only way to go for me.  I get just as smooth of a shave as using a Mach 3, but without the cuts and razor burn.  Plus, the overall cost is much cheaper in the long run.

I now use the HeadBlade, but the electric was a good stepping stone for me when I decided to take it all the way down to the skin.  I used the remington that I mentioned in that post and then that died on me so I moved to the Philips Cool Skin 7700.  It worked better but neither gets as close as you using a blade.

Hi Tyler

Just curious as to your routine for head shaving with the electric razor.  I managed to unearth a rather antiquated Remington electric razor and I am considering trying it instead of shaving my head with the Mach 3 razor. 

Cheers
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2008, 07:46:20 AM »
Ive tried a variety of razors over the years including the Mach series and have always returned to the Schick Extreme.  The blade bends laterally, where the Gillette does, and it really does a good job on my scalp.  I've tried both types of electrics and have never had much succuss with them.  I use a rotary head to do touchups in my patrl car if I missed a spot.  You get some great looks when shavng your head in public by the way.

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #505 on: February 22, 2008, 03:29:50 AM »

I now use the HeadBlade, but the electric was a good stepping stone for me when I decided to take it all the way down to the skin.  I used the remington that I mentioned in that post and then that died on me so I moved to the Philips Cool Skin 7700.  It worked better but neither gets as close as you using a blade.

Hi Tyler

Cheers

Thanks for info Tyler

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #506 on: February 22, 2008, 05:55:50 PM »
You're welcome!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline slickmick

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #507 on: February 23, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »
I'm a Quattro non-disposable man all the way.  Believe it or not, I get FOUR MONTHS out of a blade, shaving head and face against the grain four times aweek.  I find them most "irratating" when they're new, for the first two weeks or so.  Once they dull down a little, they're perfect for three and a half months or so, then they get too dull.

Offline Nixx

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #508 on: February 27, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »
I'm the new guy here, so I'll letcha all know what I do:

When I first started shaving-and up until just a couple months ago-I used the Mach 3.  Always worked perfectly for me.  I tried the Quattro once and absolutely hated it.  Even with the extra blade it didn't seem to work all that well at all.  Obviously this is my head, so this in no way means it doesn't work for the rest of you guys...  Anyhow, recently I've changed over to a Panasonic Wet/Dry electric razor, and I must say that I get just as close with it as I did with the Mach 3. 

A couple caveats though...  To get this closest shave they tell you to use it in the shower.  This is how I've always shaved, so that didn't change my routine.  I can't speak for how close it would get out of the shower...  With my particular razor you really want to maintain your melon every couple days when you have very short stubble.  I have found that it takes more time and effort if you let your junk get too long.  For most of us, this isn't a problem since we shave every couple days as it is. 

The thing that I like most about it is that its self cleaning.  When I'm finished, I rinse it off and put it in the base.  It gets charged, cleaned and dried.  When I'm ready to use it, the razor is fresh for my next use.  If you do use it in the shower, you still need shave cream for lubrication.  This isn't an issue for dry shaving...
"...We're bigger than U.S. Steel."
-Hyman Roth, The Godfather: Part II

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2008, 02:33:59 PM »
RYEBREAD-

Well I only used the triple blade that it came with and it was already loaded. I tried the multiple direction thing it just seems like the blade can't get into the dip. I mean i feel which way it's growing and shave the oppisite way using multiple strokes and it won't get it.

Try a different blade, such as the Atra or Sensor.  I "tested" the HB triple before they put them on the market, and it didn't do anything for me.  I couldn't tell that I had shaved.  The Atra works best for me.