Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 623874 times)

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #450 on: November 04, 2007, 07:49:32 PM »
Holy Crap! DE old school!!
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #451 on: November 04, 2007, 08:59:17 PM »
Haven't seen ones like that in awhile.  That's the kind my dad still uses.  Never tried one myself.  Are those classics???
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
« Reply #452 on: November 04, 2007, 08:59:46 PM »
I use one of these.

damn, that's cool!

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »
That is just sick! It just screams masculine! Im going to resesarch classic shaving and get back with yall on this!
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #454 on: November 05, 2007, 03:47:22 PM »
Haven't seen ones like that in awhile.  That's the kind my dad still uses.  Never tried one myself.  Are those classics???

The Gillette's in the top row date from the late 40s to early 60s.
The Merkur Progress (bottom row far right) was made in the last 10 years but I made the wooden knob and the brush handles. The wooden handle razors is a short Tech handle pressed in to the wood blank then turned, the head is from a Stahly live blade (wind up razor).
These are the razors in my collection that are part of my regular rotation. I use one till the blade dulls then switch to another razor.
I use feather, Derby and Israeli blades depending on the razor, different razors prefer different blades.
I'd been shaving my face with a DE but still using the Headblade on my head when I felt that my face shave was better then my head shave. I started to shave only with the DE and after a short learning curve I feel that I've mastered the beast.
Thanks to e-bay and the guys at SMF and Badger and Blade I have enough blades to last me 10 years at a blade a week.
Bob.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #455 on: November 06, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
i just bought a fusion cause the mach III was not getting my face close enough. since i spent the money on it, i figured i may as well try it on my head too. now it has been quite some time since my head got nicked. but the first time i try a critically acclaimed FUSION, i get a nick. did work a little better on the face. if i can get three or more shaves out of each replacement head then it will be equal in cost ($1 per shave ). but so far i have seen no clear cut advantage to fusion over machIII. i will let you guys know more in the next few days.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #456 on: November 06, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
i just bought a fusion cause the mach III was not getting my face close enough. since i spent the money on it, i figured i may as well try it on my head too. now it has been quite some time since my head got nicked. but the first time i try a critically acclaimed FUSION, i get a nick. did work a little better on the face. if i can get three or more shaves out of each replacement head then it will be equal in cost ($1 per shave ). but so far i have seen no clear cut advantage to fusion over machIII. i will let you guys know more in the next few days.

I pay between $.16 (Derby&Israeli) and $.25 (Feather) for DE blades and get 4 or more shaves for a cost of  under $.07 per shave. :/O
Gillette created the cartridge razor to make $$Money not provide the shaving public with a superior product. :x!

GASlick

« Reply #457 on: November 08, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »
Have used Mach3 on my face for years.  For some reason they cut my head.  I use Quattro and it works great with a little HeadSlick.

Offline Rulon

• Sly Jr.
    • myspace
« Reply #458 on: November 09, 2007, 12:17:46 AM »
I have been using a Fusion on my head but i'm planning on going back to headblade since they are cheaper. Next week im going to start shaving my face with a DE. Other razor just don't do it for me anymore....i come out bloody and hurting  every time i shave my face with the other razors.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #459 on: November 11, 2007, 06:02:58 AM »
I use a mixture of Wilkinson Xtreme3 (more expensive disposables with a flexible blade so they shave real close) and Mach III.  Sometimes when I'm goin out and want to look really slick and shining I use both one after the other.  I've never nicked my head with Xtreme3 but have done a couple of times with MachIII if I use it straight off without the Xtreme3 first.  I always shave against the grain and am lucky I guess that I don't get razor bumps or burns that often.

When I first started shaving 18 months back I was covered in bumps and spots, but once I got my shaving regime worked out the bumps disappeared.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #460 on: November 11, 2007, 05:11:32 PM »

I pay between $.16 (Derby&Israeli) and $.25 (Feather) for DE blades and get 4 or more shaves for a cost of  under $.07 per shave. :/O
Gillette created the cartridge razor to make $$Money not provide the shaving public with a superior product. :x!

Man I am very interested in this type of shaving! You shave your head with a DE razor? I just purchased a Merkur HD and a Pure Badger hair brush. I also ordered some Merkur blades, and some Proraso Shave cream. I am scared I am going to slice myself up with a DE though.
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline Rulon

• Sly Jr.
    • myspace
« Reply #461 on: November 11, 2007, 06:25:45 PM »
Man I am very interested in this type of shaving! You shave your head with a DE razor? I just purchased a Merkur HD and a Pure Badger hair brush. I also ordered some Merkur blades, and some Proraso Shave cream. I am scared I am going to slice myself up with a DE though.

When i was looking into this kind of shaving i came across this user on youtube that shows you how to shave with this kind of razor, i haven't tried it out yet still waiting on my razor to get here.

http://youtube.com/user/mantic59

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #462 on: November 11, 2007, 06:38:39 PM »

When i was looking into this kind of shaving i came across this user on youtube that shows you how to shave with this kind of razor, i haven't tried it out yet still waiting on my razor to get here.

http://youtube.com/user/mantic59

Bro! At first I thought these videos were going to be ghey, but this guys was funny and informative! Wow great find and thanks! I saved his profile so I can refer back for help.
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #463 on: November 11, 2007, 07:26:56 PM »

[/quote]

Since the Shaver controls the blade angle when using a DE razor there is a learning curve. I shave my face with a DE and my head with the Head Blade for over a year before I took the plunge to master shaving my head with the DE. I've been shaving exclusively with DE razors for a year and I don't cut myself any more then I did with a cartridge razor and actually less severely. Usually small nicks in the problem areas when I'm not being careful, while when I shaved with a Mach3 I would get those triple cut that would bleed forever and we know what the Headblade can do, I did a nose over and carved a divot out of the back of my head. :*)).
Razor are tools and it's the users responsibility to learn the skills to use them properly and safely.
Bob.

Offline BRANDADDY

• Brandaddy
  • Learning the way of Sly
  • Speak Easy...
« Reply #464 on: November 12, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »
I use Clippers Half the time and if I want to go Shiny I just use my Mach 3 Turbo.
My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.

Michael Jordan