Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 623829 times)

Offline Rick S.

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #1350 on: September 20, 2018, 11:32:36 AM »
I just got an amazing deal on ebay for the Blade Torq 3 that fits the mach 3 handle, 30 cartridges for $9.00 I received them today and it was a BBS shave. So I ordered a bunch more.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1351 on: October 15, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
I am going back to DE shaving the dome. Been using the DE on the face and its awesome. Only with the grain though. Will try that approach on my head.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:42:02 PM by Goatee »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1352 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »
I am going back to DE shaving the dome. Been using the DE on the face and its awesome. Only with the grain though. Will try that approach on my head.

I use a DE on my face , tried on my head , just not as good or as fast as my 2 blade disposable . Also too easy to get cuts. I don’t find any advantage IMO.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Catalyst

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #1353 on: November 14, 2018, 10:03:02 PM »
I’m pretty new here and  have been shaving the dome for about two months now.   I’ve only used the extreme 3 so far and no nicks yet.  Pacific shave cream also, gonna try and find some cremo shave cream and possibly some shave oil.  Thank you all for all the info here!

Offline nohairnow

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #1354 on: November 17, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »
I just bought a DE and some blades today.  A Van Der Hagen that I found at Walmart.  I plan to use it on my face to see how it goes and if well I'll see how it goes on the head. 

Prior to shaving my head for the first time earlier this week, I had been using disposables for years.  Now that it looks like head shaving is going to be a regular thing, I figured I'd play around and find the best way to do it.  I'm looking for the least amount of irriation.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1355 on: November 18, 2018, 06:21:39 AM »
That's part of the fun of headshaving, trying different products and razors. I use a double edge sometimes, just take it very slow! You will know if you have the right angle by the scraping sound of the razor. Just be sure to use quality blades.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Catalyst

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #1356 on: November 18, 2018, 07:58:14 PM »
I do have a headblade moto on the way!   I’m hopeful that will help to make the shaving routine a little quicker.  I know there’s going to be a learning curve I’ve always used a stick razor for my face.  And just recently for scraping the dome.   I’ll look into getting the dot I blades as replacements also

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1357 on: January 18, 2019, 02:00:02 PM »
I tried the Harry's because of all their advertising on podcasts. But I found the head flies off the handle with only a mild tap.

Gillette Fusion 5-blade works the best for me.

Offline HANDSHAVED

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1358 on: July 09, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
I am mapping out my favored "GO-TO" shaving method as we speak.

I prefer a very close shave and a smooth result, so it seems most of the lower number blade cartridges tend to leave more stubble, which is not very efficient for me. No one wants to have shave twice. With all of the noise surrounding the Mach 3, I decided recently to give it a try and it didn't seem to consistently give me a close shave all over my dome.

However, the 5 blade cartridges seem to do rather well, but I'm still exploring the various shaving methods available.

Anyone have any new and improved insights as to your favored razor???

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” (Viktor Frankl, Holocaust Survivor)

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #1359 on: October 28, 2020, 06:18:04 PM »
I use a 1918 Gillette with the Dorco st-301 blades.  Works well for me.  I prefer this type of razor because it's a three piece design.  I've always had a hard time with the kind when you twist the bottom and the barn-doors open up.  I somehow manage to break em :/O

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1360 on: October 31, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »
I use a 1918  with the  st-301 blades.  Works well for me.  I prefer this type of razor because it's a three piece design.  I've always had a hard time with the kind when you twist the bottom and the barn-doors open up.  I somehow manage to break em :/O
For my face I use a1954 Gillette Super Speed , it was my farthers . It’s a TTO , never had a problem with the doors. Quality is the reason.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #1361 on: October 31, 2020, 12:45:57 PM »
Gillette Fusion against the grain

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1362 on: November 01, 2020, 06:46:50 AM »
Is it ok to use ordinary moisturiser on the dome after shaving? I splash on some  combined with tea tree first.

Then, i have been using  moisturiser

Using a cheap Wilkinson DE as its mild with same brand blades.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #1363 on: November 01, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
Is it ok to use ordinary moisturiser on the dome after shaving? I splash on some  combined with tea tree first.

I used ordinary moisturizer when I first started shaving and never had a problem so I guess it's alright but there are lots of moisturizers out there that contain all the good ingredients as well.  As far as razors go, it doesn't have to be expensive to be good.  I've tried all kinds of razors but the expensive ones don't necessarly do a good job.  It's all in what works for you.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1364 on: November 01, 2020, 11:05:38 AM »

I used ordinary moisturizer when I first started shaving and never had a problem so I guess it's alright but there are lots of moisturizers out there that contain all the good ingredients as well.  As far as razors go, it doesn't have to be expensive to be good.  I've tried all kinds of razors but the expensive ones don't necessarly do a good job.  It's all in what works for you.

Thanks. I agree.

I been using the same DE on my face for a very long time (got a goatee but now growing a beard)

Enter your email address: