Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 628027 times)

Offline os1019

• Sly Guy in Training
Re:
« Reply #1260 on: June 04, 2014, 10:18:25 PM »
I was going with the Headblade Sport but moved onto the Profusion Glide but now my weapon of choice is the Gillette Body Razor.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #1261 on: June 08, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »
These days, using a Harry's Razor and Blades.  Well-made, less expensive, great shave.  I'm not sure if I like their creme yet or not.  I seem to use a lot of it.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline baldlyshine

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #1262 on: June 08, 2014, 05:11:42 PM »
Gillette Fusion for me with Head Lube. If I need a second round, I use either Barbasol or something with good lubrication. Tried the new HeadBlade and just didn't get as close as the Gillette. Always wet the head first, then give it a through lathering with the lube. Coconut Oil with some essential oils helps to keep it in shape, along with a dose of HB matte or glossy and a non-pore clogging SPF50 sunscreen (Been using L'Oreal Liquid Silk that's made for the face and it doesn't burn or get sticky). Been shaving it steady now since Easter and feel ungroomed without my morning head shave now. O0
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:14:42 PM by baldlyshine »

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #1263 on: June 09, 2014, 06:36:29 AM »
Current rotation:

'72 Super Speed
'69 TTO Black Handle
Maggard M3
'77 Tech w/ Muhle Handle

** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #1264 on: June 17, 2014, 09:06:07 PM »
Hey all...  new to head shaving and new to the forum... this place is great..  I got a lot of great info here.... 

My first shave about a month ago was with a Mach 3... my regular razor for probably 15 yrs now, when it first came out.  Then I tried a headblade a couple weeks ago with the HB4 blade, and now the HB6, although I realized now the HB6 is as much a gimmick as I suspected and that (I feel) the Gillette Fusion is.  I really like the mechanics and ease of us, but it doesnt shave the closest everywhere and using it is difficult for me to coordinate around the ears.  So until I come up with or hear about something better, right now I:
1.  Use HeadSlick
2.  Use the headblade front to back and back to front (includes basically going sideways along the side of the head)
3.  Followup with my mach 3 rig: (I say "rig" because I dont use the standard handle -- I have a heavy chrome handle I bought that makes it more like shaving with a DE razor).  I use the Mach 3 around the ears and going against the grain anywhere I still feel rough spots.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1265 on: June 18, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »
Welcome Shoot, try a DE. Its an awesome shave! Less blades which, for me, gives a great shave

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #1266 on: June 19, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
Goatee... yeah... I use DE sometimes for my face, but even then not all th time because I tend to find myself sometimes wanting/needing to shave quickly...  I never perfected technique in DE shaving to the point of no nicks or razor burn, so rushing it is no way to go either.  As for the head....since I'm still somewhat 'clumsy' with the DE face shaving, nothing scares me more than the idea of putting that thing in areas around the head that are hard to reach and can't easily see in the mirror...  :)

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #1267 on: June 19, 2014, 04:40:53 AM »

Goatee... yeah... I use DE sometimes for my face, but even then not all th time because I tend to find myself sometimes wanting/needing to shave quickly...  I never perfected technique in DE shaving to the point of no nicks or razor burn, so rushing it is no way to go either.  As for the head....since I'm still somewhat 'clumsy' with the DE face shaving, nothing scares me more than the idea of putting that thing in areas around the head that are hard to reach and can't easily see in the mirror...  :)

Yes I agree with you and am in the same boat as for saving my face with An DE. I love my DE razor for my face but can't get the courage to use it on my head yet.

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1268 on: June 19, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
I dont use a mirror when i shave the back of my head. Used my 37c today and shave went great!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #1269 on: June 19, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
I initially was scared to use my DE on my head, but I couldn't resist trying. So after doing my face a few times, I did my head. I got a few crappy shaves the first couple of times, but I realized it's not as scary as I thought. I just go slow and use short strokes. I do at least three passes on my head and I use my hands to feel if I missed any spots.  I really didn't want to spend the money on a cartridge razor any more! And I love the process of wet shaving.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1270 on: June 20, 2014, 01:44:23 AM »
Very true Mike, spending money on carts is a total waste of money. DE blades a re so much cheaper and as i have come to realise, a single blade is so much better than multiple blades!

Offline Roatanguy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #1271 on: June 21, 2014, 07:23:48 AM »
Hello All,
 New to the forums "again". Was around a little many moons ago but have been away since. Been shaving head for 15 years or so and been with Headblade since I started. From the HB classic then the sport then the original S4. I was happy with the 3 blade HB and felt the 4-6 were a gimmick but then came across a bunch of the 4 blade packs at a closeout for $2 pack and bought them all, I tried the 4 and it makes the razor taller and a little getting used to around the ears but shaves a little closer and best thing is it doesn't clog up like the 3 blade does. I like the Headlube and am curious as to what this new take off is, the one with same colors and similar labeling I have added to my HB collection overtime due to closeout specials as well as necessity for travel and such. Anyway, that's the story

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #1272 on: June 21, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »
Just a note if you havent already tried this.  I am very new to head shaving, but got the ATX and 4-blade carts.  I was happy with it, but since I started getting a lot of the commonly recommended products for headshaving, I went and bought 1 pack of the HB6 blades as well.  In my newbie opinion, those ARE a gimmick.... I never used a 2 or 3-blade headblade because those models were before I got started, but I think the 4-blade is as good as it will probably get. 

I hold this opinion also from having been a 15-yr mach-3 user and trying the fusion... I thought the fusion was a lesser shave, and just more difficult to use.  Just no need for those extra blades and larger cartridge head.....

Offline jwalker23

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #1273 on: June 23, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
Well I tried out the safety razor yesterday just on the right side of my head, I ended up finish it up with wahl shaver...lets just say I need more practice with it lol. Right now, Im trying to figure out what would be the best cartridge razor out there for a beginner like myself. Any suggestions?

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #1274 on: June 23, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »
If not using the headblade tools (made special just for headshaving)....it looks like most people prefer the sensor excel or Mach 3.  Before I got the headblade...I used the Mach 3, same as I used for my face for 15 yrs.... and it gave just as clean and close a shave as it did for my face.