Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 626498 times)

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #1245 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:20 AM »
I picked up a Microtouch one safety razor, it works better than any razor I've tried. Not 1 nick/cut and 0 irritation/razor burn. I get smoother shaves with it than I ever got with anything else I've tried. It's lighter than a traditional DE but that just removes having to concentrate on no pressure and allows you to concentrate on the cutting angle.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #1246 on: March 12, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
I have a Microtouch 1 safety razor too. Can't beat the price. I have used it a few times but need to fine tune my technique when I use it. I have gotten a few nicks but fewer now than before. It reallly does give a close shave.

Offline richierich1220

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #1247 on: March 20, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
Just bought the Panasonic es8243a wet/dry.  It is awesome.  Nice comfortable shave on the head.  Almost as good as a razor.    I have a dumb question though.  I did half my head with shaving cream to test it out and it was so hard to shave with the shaving cream, the razor just like glided over the shaving cream and didn't shave the hair.  So I wiped it off and did it dry.  Do others have the same problem?

Offline BaldMark

• Sly
« Reply #1248 on: March 20, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »
I had the same issue with my Panasonic ES8077 it's an amazing razor but doesn't seen to shave well with cream.   I've tried it with shaving oil but it seems to clog up.   It works really well in the shower with just water or a little conditioner.   I've since switched to a merkur futur and won't be using anything else.

Offline richierich1220

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #1249 on: March 20, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »
I guess next I'll try it wet, without shaving cream.  I'm ok with a dry shave though.

This is a really dumb question but I looked up the razor your said........ what is a safety razor and how is it different than a regular one

Offline Jasonbtx

• Learning the way of Sly
Re:
« Reply #1250 on: March 21, 2014, 07:57:47 AM »
Merkur 38C FTW

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
Re:
« Reply #1251 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
A double edge safety razor (DE for short) is a traditional razor. Google wet shaving or search Youtube for Geofatboy.
-Winston Churchill

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1252 on: March 28, 2014, 03:10:20 AM »
Would like to try a DE. Not sure which one

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #1253 on: March 28, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »
The Microtouch one is essentially a lighter replica of the Weishi 9306-f. I only have a One, I highly recommend it; however the Weishi is about $10 less if you're looking to save some coin. If you're new to the DE world I strongly recommend starting out with the Microtouch One, and if you feel like it try out another razor later. I warn you that DE shaving is highly addictive. Pick up a blade sample pack to try out different blades to see which brand you like best. The pros of DE shaving aside from a vastly superior shave are that you save a ton of money and you aren't handcuffed to any one brand of blade regardless of what razor you use. DE shaving is a skill and starting out you'll have to unlearn bad habits from other methods of shaving. Once you master DE shaving, cuts/nicks will be few and far between. Since I mastered DE shaving I no longer have problems with razor burn.
-Winston Churchill

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1254 on: March 29, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Great advice. Cheers

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
Re:
« Reply #1255 on: April 02, 2014, 11:21:09 PM »
Read up on it before you do it for sure. I ended up getting an old Gillette at the antique shop. Love using the brush and mug most of all.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #1256 on: April 23, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »
Mach 3 is my favorite razor. I can't imagine using anything else.

andrewswenson

« Reply #1257 on: April 30, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »
So I want to give everyone some pretty awesome advice.

Sensor < Mach 3 < Schick Quattro Titanium

If you haven't tried out a Schick Quattro Titanium yet, DO IT. I thought the Mach 3 couldn't be beat, but I can tell you with confidence you will be very satisfied. It's got one more blade than a Mach 3, and a single blade on the other side for those hard-to-get areas but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Mainly, it just has a better lube strip that glides better, lasts longer, along with the blades. The blades also seem to be sharper and better performing than Mach 3's. AND they're cheaper than Mach 3 blades. I get the disposables so I'm not sure about cartridge prices.

Have fun.

Offline digitaldome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1258 on: June 02, 2014, 11:57:15 AM »
Just started headshaving a few months ago.  Before that it was the Classic 76 clipper with the 00000 blade.

I use my Edwin Jagger DE89...Or one of my Gillette New or Old Type DE's.
It is usually the DE89...Seems to be best for the headshave.
*Paul*
I don't believe in Fate...but I do believe in F8

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
Re:
« Reply #1259 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
Read up on it before you do it for sure. I ended up getting an old Gillette at the antique shop. Love using the brush and mug most of all.

Good!  Vintage is the way I go! :)
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"