Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 626839 times)

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #1170 on: May 06, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
Recently, I gave the Headblade ATX a 2 week trial run. First time using any Headblade razor. I like how it looks, and the fluid motion of shaving with it, but it doesn't seem to shave close at all. I have to go over random spots several times to achieve smoothness. Now, this could be because I wasn't holding it correctly, or maybe the Headblade brand 4 blade cartridge doesn't provide that close of a shave... Or a bit of both. The Headblade just couldn't catch on with me... Oh well. 'Least I can say I tried it.

Still feeling experimental after my Headblade trial, I tried a Sensor 3 disposable I had in the back of our bathroom closet. Never used that razor before, either.
Holy crap, what a close shave! No nicks! I loved it! My new favorite razor. IMO, beats out the Mach 3 and Hydro 3, in terms of a close/comfortable trade-off. Can't believe it's been around for so long and I've never tried it in my 6 years of taking a razor to the dome...
Now, I know you can use Sensor cartridges on Headblade razors, but I have yet to try it out. Perhaps I will in the near future.

"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Johnny_T

« Reply #1171 on: May 11, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
Recently, I gave the Headblade ATX a 2 week trial run. First time using any Headblade razor. I like how it looks, and the fluid motion of shaving with it, but it doesn't seem to shave close at all. I have to go over random spots several times to achieve smoothness. Now, this could be because I wasn't holding it correctly, or maybe the Headblade brand 4 blade cartridge doesn't provide that close of a shave... Or a bit of both. The Headblade just couldn't catch on with me... Oh well. 'Least I can say I tried it.

I haven't tried it but to be honest I'm not getting the whole thing, which is why I haven't.   I've seen the videos of how it works and the tutorials and I see no difference between it and how I shave with any cart. I use a Fusion by the way and a 4 pack of carts lasts me 4 months. My shaves are quick, clean and close.

But I shave the same way as I've seen the Headblade in action,  and always have. I start at the front of my head and take one long pass all the way to the back. Top and sides done, I move to the back of my head starting at my neck and one pass to the top of the back of my head. I touch up around my ears (and a dent I have on my crown) and I'm done. BBS with one pass (ATG). I very rarely have to touch up unless my cart is nearing its end. So for this I don't see the difference other than the shape of the razor. 

I like having the razor in my fingertips because fingers have dexterity and I feel in control and can maneuver with precision. I don't see the same control or maneuverability by palming it or wearing it like a ring.  I've choked up on my razor in the past (the fusion has a sort of finger post behind the head) and used it more flat like a headblade but don't feel the "touch" I have with it in my fingers. But the shave strokes are the same so I'm not getting the whole idea behind the Headblade.  Difference?  Maybe I'm just  missing something  :)  In the videos the shave/passes/strokes looks the same as how I shave. The headblade just happens to look cooler  8)

I've tried many different cartridges and the Fusion really works for me. Of course what works for one doesn't work for the next guy. 

Offline DonM

• Sly Guy in Training
  • DonM
« Reply #1172 on: May 29, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
A little over 2 weeks ago I did a bunch of research on shaving and bought a Headblade Sport with a pack of Sensor 3's. my first cut was a learning experience for sure and I had a little learning curve with the headblade, I wasn't getting as close and smooth as I was expecting, with a few patches I was touching up with the Mach3, my facial razor of choice.

A trip to the local supermarket, Publix, and they had the ATX in stock so I picked one up. With a lot of Sensor blades left, I used the Sport adapter with a Sensor blade. What a difference, smooth as a baby's butt smooth, easier to go against the grain, no nicks, I like it and haven't tried the HB4 yet. For me the pull action rather than push action really made the transition to Sly a lot easier

So my ATX sports a straight axle instead of off road suspension powered by a Sensor blade.  Head Slick is great stuff for a newbie as well!

Offline jpw94

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #1173 on: June 03, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
Call me crazy but I find a MASSIVELY better shave from the Twin blades over the HB triples. I cannot understand why.
I would have thought 3 was better than two.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #1174 on: June 08, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »
I use an edwin jagger de 89 for my face daily, and head at weekends. ..and a fusion pro glide on the noggin during the week if im in a rush

Offline Mikali

• Sly Guy in Training
Re:
« Reply #1175 on: June 09, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
I use an edwin jagger de 89 for my face daily, and head at weekends. ..and a fusion pro glide on the noggin during the week if im in a rush
Is shaving with your Edwin J. that much slower compared to the fusion?

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #1176 on: June 09, 2013, 06:57:18 AM »
for me yes, I'm still perfecting my technique, there is a higher risk if nicking myself with the de...but it gives me a smoother shave, I don't like to risk having to deal with a cut on a work day

Offline Stewie

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #1177 on: June 10, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
I use a Schick Hydro for my head and face for almost a year now, but I recently got a DE safety razor (Merkur Futur) to replace it. I'm planning on using that for my head as soon as I get the hang of it by using it on my face first. Hey, we've all had to use training wheels at one point in time. Haha!
Stewie

Offline jedge01

• Sly Jr.
  • Jim
« Reply #1178 on: June 10, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »
Still feeling experimental after my Headblade trial, I tried a Sensor 3 disposable I had in the back of our bathroom closet. Never used that razor before, either.
Holy crap, what a close shave! No nicks! I loved it! My new favorite razor. IMO, beats out the Mach 3 and Hydro 3, in terms of a close/comfortable trade-off. Can't believe it's been around for so long and I've never tried it in my 6 years of taking a razor to the dome...
Now, I know you can use Sensor cartridges on Headblade razors, but I have yet to try it out. Perhaps I will in the near future.

I've been using the Sensor 3 pretty much since day one. Almost 12 years now and it's still the best head shave I've ever had.

Offline howieLookAlike?

« Reply #1179 on: June 17, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
Started out with the electric (kind of messy but pretty close and needed to shower to rid the dust after), the mach 3 (loved it but so close of a shave that you nick if you rush) and now the hydro 3 which shaves close and doesn't nick unless your digging, which you don't need to do. Seems more likely on the first or second shave using a new blade only. Been wanting to try the HB but not sure their is any benefit.

As for shaving cream/gel/soap, I've tried the HB HS (love it), King of Shaves Alphagel (love it, they also make a travel size pump spray called Kinexium Shave Oil for traveling which fits into your bathroom travel bag easily. It's not a aerosol or tube of gel that can  leak out either.) and the King of Shaves Alpha Oil (worked well but oily on the hands and felt I needed to wash hands with soap after applying to get off so razor didn't slip out of hands). I'm thinking about trying the soap next but wonder about it running, anyone using soap that can recommend or comment on that?

BTW, I've been shaving now since 2008.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #1180 on: June 22, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you think of Headblade. It really comes down to personal preference I think. Your current system seems to work just fine based on your picture. Keep posting.

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #1181 on: June 22, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
For years, I used the Mach 3. After joining the forum and reading some posts, I decided to try the Fusion. I bought the Power Fusion. I shave in the shower, as we have super soft water, and the Fusion gives me as close a shave as the Mach 3 and feels much better. I am now a Fusion user.

Offline TheWickerMan

« Reply #1182 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »
For years I just used some Wahl clippers. I actually liked the stubbly look. Then my wife mentioned she'd like it closer, smoother. I was hesitant to put a blade to my head. I'm all about the matte finish and I didn't want to get super shiny. I discovered matte lotions and decided to go for it. So I bought a Norelco I could shave with in the shower. It worked well. But not great.

I bought a HeadBlade, but I just couldn't get used the pushing motion. Finally, I started using my old Mach 3. I use a DE on my face and the Mach 3 was a razor I bought a year ago during a road trip. It was a LOT cleaner, smoother and faster.

I just ordered an HB ATX and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I'll let you know how that goes...
Onward and upward.

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #1183 on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »
As a newbie to shaving so far all I've used is the Mach 3 which so far I like.  Planning on trying one of the HB razors at some point.  As looking at the Sensa 3 and the Schick Hydro.  There's so many razors LOL  And me being a gadget guy it's easy for me to get obsessed with trying them (danger will robinson!)

As far as gels/creams, I tried HB Head Slick and I really like it so until I graduate to a boar brush, I probably wont bother trying anything else unless someone REALLY recommends I try it LOL
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Thebaldnation

• wanting to bring our Bald community closer together
  • Sly
    • ThebaldNation
« Reply #1184 on: June 30, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
Hey bald brothers this is the bald guy, been gone for to long doing bald guy stuff, anyways, i was a faithfull user of the mach 3, would not use anything else, would have took it to my grave untill the schick came out with the hydro, whenever a new razor comes out its like candy to us bald guys, we just gotta try it, doesnt mean we will switch razors, because as we all know you have a relationship with your razor so-to-speak, but sometimes you find a razor that you like more. That is exactly what happened with the hydro, if you havent tried it YOU SHOULD!!!!, and remeber here at the bald nations best being bald is always a step above perfection.
<!-- Facebook Badge START --><a href="http://www.facebook.com/people/Baldguy-Thebaldnationsbest/1827707468" title="Baldguy Thebaldnationsbest" target="_TOP" style="font-family: &quot;lucida grande&quot;,tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-
[url=http