Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 624159 times)

BlackHawkA4

Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
I bought the blades from the website. Yea, I was shaving the right way and actually watched that video. It just doesn't work for me.

I think I'm going to stick with the Mach 3 unless I can find a good electric shaver to get that close.

jusbnme

« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2007, 03:41:56 AM »
I bought the blades from the website. Yea, I was shaving the right way and actually watched that video. It just doesn't work for me.

I think I'm going to stick with the Mach 3 unless I can find a good electric shaver to get that close.

Welcome BlackHawk.  Great to have you aboard. 

I was also a "non-believer" in the HB when I first tried it out.  I actually tried it off and on for about 3 months before I "mastered" it.  I even got so disgusted by it once when it gave me a real bad razor burn that I posted a thread on this forum titled "Finally putting the HeadBlade to rest."  But let me tell you I kept at and now I love the thing.  It is the best quality shave you will ever find in a razor.  I also use to use the the Mach 3 and I know what you mean about the blades.  I would get a pretty decent shave from it with little to no irritation but the damn blades would dull up so quick it was ridiculous.  If you can get use to the HB it will save you a lot of money as far as blades go.  You can use a few different types of generic cartridges with it.  Anything from generic Atra, Sensor, and some type of flex blades.  I think Tyler uses those so he could be of more help there.  Another thing that has helped me out with the HB is using some type of oil under the HeadSlick.  Even plain, cheap baby oil helps tremendously.  It creates a barrier between the blade and your scalp to protect against nicks.  I was using J&J baby oil w/ Aloe and Vitamin E.  You only need a few squirts.  Rub it in then apply the HeadSlick.  A while ago I switched up to "King of Shaves" Kinexium Shave Oil.  Actually about a week or so ago I experimented and just used the KoS oil by itself and it works great alone.  Almost better than applying the HeadSlick on top.  This was a suggestion from another sly bro named Baldrob here.  It's probably the best shave I get against the grain.  This stuff leaves me with no irritation and it protects great against nicks.  When I'm done I just pat it dry and apply a little after lotion.  I was using HB HeadLube but now I've switched up to Kos K-GL Soother which is really great after a shave.  I hope this has maybe helped in your search for a great shave.  Damn, I just realized I probably should have put this under "Product Reviews."   ???

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2007, 07:19:05 AM »
Welcome to the new brothers, Cooncat and Blackhawk
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

KALBO

« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2007, 08:36:19 AM »
For me, I easily adapted to the HeadBlade once going SLY!  I was always a die-hard Sensor Excel user for my face, but during my last deployment converted to a the disposable Schick Extreme 3 which I use to touch up my head now, if I miss anything with the HeadBlade(which doesn't happen very often anymore).  8)

[img width= height=]http://www.ballbeauty.com/images/schick_extreme.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:16:43 AM by KalboArnie »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2007, 08:39:34 AM »
I'm the same Kalbo. Was an Excel guy for years until going SLY. I also went with the Extreme3, but decided to get the "non-disposeable" handle. The cartridges are pricey ($1.80 ea), but the shave quality is awesome. Even at $1.80 a blade, they are still cheaper than Mach3 or Fusion.

And you're right, the HeadBlade doesn't miss too much.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

BlackHawkA4

« Reply #275 on: May 01, 2007, 09:07:51 AM »
I think the problem with the Mach 3 is actually what makes it so good. Soft blades. Wear too easy.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #276 on: May 01, 2007, 11:29:54 AM »
The Mach 3 is what I started shaving with but lost the slick feel way too early in the day.  Don't have that problem now that I use the HeadBlade.  I almost quit using it at first too.  It does take a little practice but once you get the hang of it, there's nothing like it.  Oh Yeah, Welcome to the forum BlackHawk glad to have ya with us.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

BALDANDRE

« Reply #277 on: May 01, 2007, 11:34:10 AM »
I'm a mach3 guy....worked for years for me, lasts long great shave.

BTW, Welcome Blackhawk...yet another young sly guy joinin' the ranks.... sweet!

The bald, sly, Mr. Clean look is working for ya dude!

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #278 on: May 03, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »
I stand in stark contrast to the Mach Three.  I think that it gives a great shave, but it can get a little too close.  When I was using it it was hard to have a consistant shave all around, & it would always bite into my ears & parts of my scalp  :-[

Been sticking with the HeadBlade Trips.  Give me a great shave, last pretty long, and they bite me less.

By the way, welcome Blackhawk.  I always thought that the Mach Three Blades were great on the face (less surface area, softer hair), but once it touched the head, it just did not have the staying power.  Unfortunate for such potential.
Peace

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2007, 12:49:37 PM »
Blackhawk...welcome to the site bro

I have had trouble with the HeadBlade too, I have used it a couple of times and it just doesn't feel right. I like the Mach 3, it feels good and I can shave in under 10 minutes with it.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2007, 01:19:36 PM »
Blackhawk...welcome to the site bro

I have had trouble with the HeadBlade too, I have used it a couple of times and it just doesn't feel right. I like the Mach 3, it feels good and I can shave in under 10 minutes with it.

I can do the Headblade in the shower in about 5 minutes... gotta keep trying YOSP.  Just yanking your chain -- whatever works best for you is what you should use -- being sly is the key.  I just can't imagine life without my headblade.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2007, 01:25:26 PM »
I'll keep trying, there are a lot of rave reviews on this site, maybe I need the sport with the wheels to cruise on my head...

Either way though I love the SLY look...and this site as well! O0

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2007, 01:32:45 PM »
The sport would probably be a major improvement.  I've never tried it; I went straight from the original HB to the stainless steel S4 which has wheels.  It definitely helps to have the wheels because I don't have to wonder if I'm making optimum contact using that back pad.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2007, 01:38:37 PM »
Yosp, the wheels do make a drastic difference.  easier to actually keep the weight of your hand over the rear side of the HeadBlade.  I realize that it just does not feel right, it will probably not feel "right" for a little while.  Its just due to the fact that your use to using the traditional Razor handle.  Imagine when your using it that you are just slicking back your hair with your hand.  That is basically the motion.  Now the backside is a little different if you go against the grain, but its much like itching the back of your head.  It took a majority of us a few goes with the HeadBlade before it really started feeling routine, and we could appreciate the consistancy that the razor delivers.  A majority of the guys on here also have a preference of blade to use with the HeadBlade as well.  Generic Atras are a favorite, I prefere the HeadBlade Trips though [less bites than with other blades].  Just keep giving it a go.  Relax, & remember to keep the force over the rear of the HeadBlade, & not over the blade.  
Peace

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #284 on: May 03, 2007, 01:48:41 PM »
Thanks for the info...

I'll give it another go or 3

Enter your email address: