Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 626538 times)

Offline 1GoZoom

• Sly Jr.
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #960 on: August 15, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
The Proglide got me. It got me good. There was just too many of them staring me in the face, plus this huge lit up display thing on the end cap of the shaving section at Walmart. I figured I can try Power blade heads if I am so inclined.

ummmmmmmmm, WOW! first shave this morning, my best in some time. it just glides so easily with zero irritation going on. so.friggin.smooth. big improvement on my sides and in the back. I was using headblade w/sensor trips prior to this.

Not sure how much these heads differ from the POWER ones but I kinda feel like I've been missing out. We'll see how long the smoothness lasts, how long it holds up of course. Just wish I could afford the refills:/ gonna try the keeping the blades dry/jean technique for sure.

Does anyone know if dousing the blades in mineral oil truly helps on prolonging blade life?

I had the regular then switched to the power.  It was night and day.  Its like a massage on your skin.  It eats batteries, but so does my nose trimmer, so I keep a set handy. 

Offline paragon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #961 on: August 21, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »
I've just found this video after posting another one with a DE shave.
The guy actually shaved his head with a straight razor. That I guess I'll never try... but total respect for anybody who can do that.

So his straight razor head shave:
And for the record, his DE head shave:

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #962 on: August 21, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »
Wow - not sure I have the coordination or skill to use a straight razor.  I can picture looking like I ran headfirst into a razor wire fence!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #963 on: August 24, 2011, 06:20:54 AM »
I just started shaving my head Saturday, so this is day 4 of daily shaving. Here's my introduction: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=15332.0

I always shave in the shower with hot water.  I started with what I'm accustomed to shaving my face with, a vintage Gillette DE.  Uber experience with my face, I know my way around a DE and can achieve a perfect shave (on my face).  I knew the dangers with regard to a virgin scalp, however, so I didn't get as close as I'd like. (I used mug soap applied with a brush).

Day 2, I purchased a Gillette Fusion. I used the Fusion gel.  Much closer shave, and I could be more careless.

Day 3, I purchased a HeadBlade Sport and HeadSlick.  I did NOT use the HeadBlade Sport, but I did use the HeadSlick with the Fusion.  Perfect shave.

I have a tendency for ingrown hairs at the nape of my neck, so I used Bump Patrol (original formula) for the first time for the last 3 shaves.  Very good results.  About 5 minutes later, I use Nivea lotion.

Since this is the "what razor do you use" thread, my comment is on the Fusion.  This sounds ridiculous, but my only complaint with the whole process is my inability to maintain a grip on the Fusion.  It gets slick from the shaving cream/gel and it is very difficult to hold on to.  I know, shaving in a shower is contributing to this.

Do any of you have this problem?  I expect you HB users do not, and that may be what makes me give it a try.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #964 on: August 24, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »
I used to use a HeadBlade, but switched to the Fusion a few weeks back because it gives an incredibly smooth shave with no irritation.  I use HeadSlick with it, so my experience matches yours.

I don't have a problem maintaining a grip on the Fusion.  After lathering up, I rinse my right hand thoroughly, but keep cream on the left hand so I can keep relathering as I shave since I shave in multiple directions (with, against, and across) to get the smoothest possible shave.  I also rinse the razor regularly as I shave so that the cream and stubble are washed off and the blade stays clean.  Seems to work.

Offline Naven

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #965 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
I've been shaving my head for about 10 years now.

I used to use the Mach 3 and loved it, with HeadSlick. It was an unbeatable combination, I thought.

Recently, however, I have been dissatisfied with HeadSlick, they seem to have changed the formulation and so I switched - I now use Kiss my Face Moisture Shave and it's amazing - I love it, can't imagine a better shave cream.

I also recently changed to Magnum 5 razors, Costco has them for $20 for 20 blades + handle - and they beat the Mach 3 by a mile too. The added benefit is that one blade lasts me about a month, whereas a Mach 3 blade was used up after about 6 days.

So, Magnum 5 + KMF shave cream - the best out there IMHO and I've tried 'em all.

Suchadeal.

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #966 on: September 08, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
I talk to a lot of guys who shave their head.  It seems that it's becoming a more popular thing to do now, or I'm just noticing it more.  Anyways, I usually ask what razor they use to shave their head.

The number one answer I get is...you guessed it...the Mach 3.

Now, I don't use the Mach 3.  In fact, I don't even use a straight razor.  Instead, I use a Remington!  That's right...I use an electric razor!  It's the only way to go for me.  I get just as smooth of a shave as using a Mach 3, but without the cuts and razor burn.  Plus, the overall cost is much cheaper in the long run.

Tell us, what do you use?

I use a merkur HD 34C, and just upgraded to a Merkur Futur.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #967 on: September 13, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
After over 3 weeks of shaving my head and trying the following, I feel I can be more objective than I was when I first responded to this thread:
  • Double Edge
  • Gillette Fusion
  • Schick Hydro 5
  • HeadBlade Sport w/ HB triple cartridge

Double Edge: takes too long, but results in close shave. Mild irritation.

Gillette Fusion goes a little faster.  Not as close as using the double edge and it feels like it pulls even with one 1 day of stubble. A surprisingly uncomfortable shave given what I expected from the reviews on this site.

Schick Hydro 5.  Hate it.  Comfortable shave, but inconsistent.  There's no tactile feedback, I suppose due to the large head on the razor. I had patches of stubble when I was done.  In all fairness, I gave this razor only two tries, but it was due to my disappointment.

HeadBlade Sport: I guess I drank the Kool Aid.  I was prepared to dislike this "gimmick", but this is the most awesome shave ever.  Every time.  Comfortable.  Fast.  Close.  Least amount of irritation.  It did not entail the "learning curve" I was prepared for.  It worked great the first try with no nicks.  There have been all these warnings about keeping the pressure off the blade, etc.  It just felt natural cupped in my hand, that the pressure is naturally distributed correctly.

And since the razor is only as good as the prepared surface over which it is used, I'll comment on the products I used:  I've been using St. Ives Naturally Clear Apricot Scrub exfoliant about 3 times per week. Over the three weeks I've tried various combinations of King of Shaves Shave Oil & Alphagel, Billy Jealousy's Hydroplane, and HeadBlade HeadSlick. All of these products provided the same results with each razor tried, although I had to use larger amounts of Alphagel vs. the Billy Jealousy's and the HeadSlick.  Thus, as far as bang for the buck, HeadSlick is winning so far. The only time I used William's soap in a mug applied with brush was the first shave using the double edge.

I shave in the shower with hot water.  Due to advice on this site, I let the product sit on my scalp for at least 2 minutes.  For the past 5 days, I've quit doing this.  I simply shower, shave my face as usual, then apply HeadSlick and immediately shave with the the HB.  I noticed no difference in allowing the product to soak on my head, and I have thick coarse hair with no natural thinning.  I'm not disputing the need for this practice for some, as it makes sense, but for me it made no difference.

Bottom line, the HeadBlade Sport blew the other razors out of the water.  I've been using it daily for the past 5 days now with excellent results.

As far as my face, I'll never use anything other than my Double Edge.  I've grown too accustomed to my face, hair pattern and the nature of the double edge such that I can shave my face very quickly with few passes and get a very close shave.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #968 on: September 13, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Good report on all the razors and other products, though only one mans opinion. On prepping the head with a long soak I agree its also not necesary , as the hair is not as coarse and tough as a mans beard.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:59:29 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #969 on: September 13, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
Good report on all the razors and other products, though only one mans opinion...
I couldn't agree more.  I kept going back to the Fusion because so many guys speak highly of it.  Two bald-by-choice coworkers with perfect domes even swear by it.  I even ordered a case of cartridges for it.

Conversely, there are a good number of guys that report a terrible shave with the HeadBlade, while it's the best shave for me, yet.

That just goes to show how unique our scalps and styles are.

Offline jordan12

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #970 on: September 14, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »
I haven't been shaving my head too long yet.

But I use the headblade for the top and back, and use my mach 3 for around the ears and general finish work so I am as smooth as I can get it.

And I gotta say, nothing like getting done shaving, rinsing your head off with cold water and then just putting a hand on it. Feels fantastic...

And this was describing the non sexual head part on top of the neck.  >:D

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #971 on: September 14, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
:o

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #972 on: September 14, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »
After over 3 weeks of shaving my head and trying the following, I feel I can be more objective than I was when I first responded to this thread:
  • Double Edge
  • Gillette Fusion
  • Schick Hydro 5
  • HeadBlade Sport w/ HB triple cartridge

Double Edge: takes too long, but results in close shave. Mild irritation.

Gillette Fusion goes a little faster.  Not as close as using the double edge and it feels like it pulls even with one 1 day of stubble. A surprisingly uncomfortable shave given what I expected from the reviews on this site.

Schick Hydro 5.  Hate it.  Comfortable shave, but inconsistent.  There's no tactile feedback, I suppose due to the large head on the razor. I had patches of stubble when I was done.  In all fairness, I gave this razor only two tries, but it was due to my disappointment.

HeadBlade Sport: I guess I drank the Kool Aid.  I was prepared to dislike this "gimmick", but this is the most awesome shave ever.  Every time.  Comfortable.  Fast.  Close.  Least amount of irritation.  It did not entail the "learning curve" I was prepared for.  It worked great the first try with no nicks.  There have been all these warnings about keeping the pressure off the blade, etc.  It just felt natural cupped in my hand, that the pressure is naturally distributed correctly.

And since the razor is only as good as the prepared surface over which it is used, I'll comment on the products I used:  I've been using St. Ives Naturally Clear Apricot Scrub exfoliant about 3 times per week. Over the three weeks I've tried various combinations of King of Shaves Shave Oil & Alphagel, Billy Jealousy's Hydroplane, and HeadBlade HeadSlick. All of these products provided the same results with each razor tried, although I had to use larger amounts of Alphagel vs. the Billy Jealousy's and the HeadSlick.  Thus, as far as bang for the buck, HeadSlick is winning so far. The only time I used William's soap in a mug applied with brush was the first shave using the double edge.

I shave in the shower with hot water.  Due to advice on this site, I let the product sit on my scalp for at least 2 minutes.  For the past 5 days, I've quit doing this.  I simply shower, shave my face as usual, then apply HeadSlick and immediately shave with the the HB.  I noticed no difference in allowing the product to soak on my head, and I have thick coarse hair with no natural thinning.  I'm not disputing the need for this practice for some, as it makes sense, but for me it made no difference.

Bottom line, the HeadBlade Sport blew the other razors out of the water.  I've been using it daily for the past 5 days now with excellent results.

As far as my face, I'll never use anything other than my Double Edge.  I've grown too accustomed to my face, hair pattern and the nature of the double edge such that I can shave my face very quickly with few passes and get a very close shave.

Thanks for the report. I have also been using the Headblade from almost day 1, with great results. No cuts,  no irritation, just a fast clean smooth shave, time and time again.
Over the last 2 weeks or so I have tried different shave gels and creams with my HB Sport and S4 Shadow, as well as different blades:
I haven¡t really noticed big differences between the following, got close, baby smooth shaves with all combinations
1- HB Sport + HB triples + Headslick
2- HB Sport + Personna Twin Pivot Blades + Headslick
3- HB Sport + HB triples + Nivea Sensitive Shave Gel
4- HB Sport + Personna Twin Pivot + Nivea Sens Gel

Same with the S4

As I say, no major differences but would point out

S4 or HB Sport -  Only difference was with the Personna blades on my S4, applied too much pressure and got a cut, does not happen at all with the HB Triples  (as suggested, I too can't really say what you find all over the forum 'Don't apply any pressure on your HB'

Sensitive Nivea Gel or Headslick - I like both but if I had to choose one I would go with the Nivea, plus it's a little cheaper. I will continue to buy the Headslick though as I like the bottle it comes with, fits my needs when I travel.
I don't like regular available foams at all, as I say Gel or my Headslick

Personna Blades - Seriously considering only using these once I finish off my remaining HB Triples and Doubles. These are great blades for an even better price, I would encourage you to try them
I still want to give the Wilkinson Sword and Sensor Excel a try....but will eat my stock first

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #973 on: September 14, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
You are right about how good it feels!

Offline jordan12

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #974 on: September 14, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »
I added a new profile pic right after shaving.  My head just feels great.  Hair sucks. O0