Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 623901 times)

Offline Metch

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #825 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »
thanks man i tried now im kinda stuck between that and my headblade :)

Offline jerry020653

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #826 on: August 16, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »
I've been using the Shick Hydro 5 for a couple of weeks now.

Best, smoothest shave I have had so far. No nicks, cuts, or bumps.

Also it is extremely easy to keep clean as the debris just rinses right out.

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #827 on: August 16, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
The usual mach 3.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #828 on: August 17, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »
@ Tyler.  Can you tell us what Remington you use?  I have been trying to find a good electric to shave my head and haven't found anything that can match a blade.  This is sad because I take blood thinners and a bad cut on the head from a razor can become a big deal for me.

By now you've probably heard of the Conair Cleanhead. It may not be as good as the Panasonic Linear (which I don't have so I don't know) but I'm happy with the Conair.
For $40 or less, it's hard to go wrong. Even if you need to shave twice a day instead of once a day (depending on how fast your hair grows or your tolerance for shadow), it's quick and super easy.
I find it gives a pretty decent shave.

@ Everyone:
But back to blades, all in all, from reading the many posts in this thread, it's obvious that no one razor is really "better" than another. It all seems to depend on the person;  skin type, head shape, whatever.  One man's golden choice is another's butcher knife!
The best thing to do is just try them all and see what works best for you. That'll take a while with all the choices out there, including 2,3 4,or 5 blades, but eventually, you'll find the right one for you.
I do okay with my CC for the back, and my HB for the top/sides, but I"m going to keep experimenting.

Here's a question:  do you guys prefer disposable blades or regular?  Does less or more weight help or hinder?

Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #829 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »
@ Tyler.  Can you tell us what Remington you use?  I have been trying to find a good electric to shave my head and haven't found anything that can match a blade.  This is sad because I take blood thinners and a bad cut on the head from a razor can become a big deal for me.

By now you've probably heard of the Conair Cleanhead. It may not be as good as the Panasonic Linear (which I don't have so I don't know) but I'm happy with the Conair.
For $40 or less, it's hard to go wrong. Even if you need to shave twice a day instead of once a day (depending on how fast your hair grows or your tolerance for shadow), it's quick and super easy.
I find it gives a pretty decent shave.

@ Everyone:
But back to blades, all in all, from reading the many posts in this thread, it's obvious that no one razor is really "better" than another. It all seems to depend on the person;  skin type, head shape, whatever.  One man's golden choice is another's butcher knife!
The best thing to do is just try them all and see what works best for you. That'll take a while with all the choices out there, including 2,3 4,or 5 blades, but eventually, you'll find the right one for you.
I do okay with my CC for the back, and my HB for the top/sides, but I"m going to keep experimenting.

Here's a question:  do you guys prefer disposable blades or regular?  Does less or more weight help or hinder?

Never got the hang of the HB, too much changing positions, tricky on pressure, etc., so I had the Fusion Addiction until I found the M5.  I'm faithful to the M5, for me at least, the easiest, fastest, long lasting shave w/ an absolute minimum of nicks, and never, I mean never a slice. 

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #830 on: August 17, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »
"Never got the hang of the HB, too much changing positions, tricky on pressure, etc."

That's too bad saint, if you had stuck with it, you would probably be a pro by now ;)

Phigg, I think I've posted in another thread about how many blades preferred in a cartridge, and you're right, each man, or woman will have a preference that suits their head, face, etc., style of shaving.
I am a fan of double blades (Atra, Personna), but I also use the Mach III (one of the best), and I really like the new ProGlide.
I usually alternate with these as my base.

Offline CliffCoultas

• GUITARIST WITH MYSTIQUE
  • Sly Jr.
    • MySpace
« Reply #831 on: August 18, 2010, 03:52:01 AM »
Used to use a Sensor Excel until I tried a Fusion. Now I tried Mach 3 and it works great too. Need to use good razors though and they are expensive. Has any of you ever tried to have with like a single blade Bic or anything? Man they'll cut you up.
Cliff Coultas

Offline Bald Kahuna

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Paddling outrigger w/Princess Kahuna-Maui coast
« Reply #832 on: August 18, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »
Stick with the 3-blade razors-I love my Mach 3-buy blades at Costco.
Bald Kahuna

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #833 on: August 18, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »
That's too bad saint, if you had stuck with it, you would probably be a pro by now ;)

For me, shaving tools must be a matter of chacun à son goût.  I get a fantastic shave w/ my M5, HS, Shave Secret, brush routine.  So, as was attributed to Lucille Ball when asked why she never changed the format of her TV productions, "Don't F___ w/ success!"

Offline Duke

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #834 on: August 20, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
I use Fusion ProGlide New England Patriots edition. I also have a Head Blade classic. I dont like the HeadBlade due to the fact  that the blade gets all gunked up and takes forever to clean it out. The Gillette ProGlide is by far the best razor I have ever used.
Duke

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #835 on: August 21, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
Headblade Sport/Headslick.  When I shaved my head 5 years ago, the Original Headblade didn't work for me.  Couldn't get the hang of it.  Shredded my head.  Shaved with the Gillette Fusion but it was expensive and I went through blades quick.  I let my hair grow out again in 2007.  When I started shaving it this time around, I was using my Fusion again and then my son in law told me about the Headblade Sport, three blades, wheels instead of a pad.  Yeah, I feel like I'm shaving with a hotwheel but it shaves so close and with much less irritation for me and it took about two weeks to get the hang of it to the point that it takes no time to shave.  I still don't shave if I'm in a hurry, but it takes off the hair the first pass.  If the Headblade didn't work for you before, give the Sport a shot.  I think you'll like it.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #836 on: August 22, 2010, 12:58:27 AM »
Current list of blades used or using: (score out of 10)

Headblade Sport triples HB type (8 for touch up after a scrape)
Fusion (8 for first pass)
Fusion proglide (9 First pass easy to clean)
Hydro 5 (9.5 Great fist pass but never close enough)
M5 (Second pass 10 smooth)

Oils used
King of shaves (10)
Secret Shave (9)
mixed (11)

Sink shaver currently daily
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #837 on: August 22, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »
Mach 3 is still my favorite by far, the schick extreme 3 is pretty good too though
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #838 on: August 22, 2010, 09:03:56 AM »
Gillette Fusion.

Offline reb123161

• Sly
  • I like my women a little on the trashy side!
« Reply #839 on: August 22, 2010, 09:32:20 AM »
I use the Fusion, also.....does me well.