Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 627041 times)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #555 on: June 15, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »
BJ, you're right.  I shouldn't generalize, 'cause I haven't tried every disposable razor on the market.  I'll pick up a pack of your favs and give them an unbiased trial.  I do however doubt that any all-plastic disposables have the weight in the handle that I'm used to.  I started shaving at thirteen (that was in 1964).  Way back then, in the olden days, we had all metal razors with double edge safety blades.  So come on now, be nice to your elders.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 01:16:23 PM by SimplyRed »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #556 on: June 16, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »
Thanks Red, that's great. O0

had no idea they did non-disposables 8)

Rob, finally found myself a Schick Xtreme 3 (System) with replaceable blades.  It was quite a task.  Considering the product choice we ought to have here in the US the companies really dictate what we can actually buy.  I'll report back next week after I've received the razor and used it.  Replacement blades are readily available.
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

KentBaldGuy

« Reply #557 on: June 16, 2008, 02:25:27 PM »
I use Wilkinson Sword Extreme 3 with changeable heads, and I'm just trialling Gillette Fusion (5 blade) but the improvement is only very marginal and doesn't justify the price premium. I like the Gillette Mach3 Power as well.

Ironically, for my face I use a rechargeable shaver as wet blades always nick my face - they don't do that on my head though.

Tony

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #558 on: June 16, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
I think I'm going to try my new Braun electric out tonight. I just shaved last night, so I'm hoping shaving tonight doesn't give me too much irritation. I've never shaved two days in a row, so wish me luck!
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #559 on: June 16, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »

Rob, finally found myself a Schick Xtreme 3 (System) with replaceable blades.  It was quite a task.  Considering the product choice we ought to have here in the US the companies really dictate what we can actually buy.  I'll report back next week after I've received the razor and used it.  Replacement blades are readily available.

Good one, Red: look forward to see how you get on with them.  I had a look locally today, but think I'll need to get to the bigger stores to find them, or the internet.

maybe I'll wait till you test em out for me!! O0 8)

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #560 on: June 17, 2008, 07:13:17 AM »
I hate the wimpy feel of a disposable. 
There are many new disposables out on the market. Have you tried the  Gillette Mach3 Jetables or Gillette CustomPlus Sensor3?
Those are NOT wimpy at all.

BJ, got a pack of the Custom Plus 3s and tried one out this morning.  Though the weight of the razor is still what I'd call 'lightweight' the shave is very, very good.  I'm going to do my complete headshave in the morning with this razor and I'll let you know how it does.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #561 on: June 17, 2008, 09:41:52 AM »
I just picked up a pack of the Custom 3 plus this week. Going to give them a shot.

One thing I have found is these razors are great for cleanup. The last couple of days I have been doing a quick scraping with the Custom plus double after I'm done with my HeadBlade, and I have to say I've been getting smoother than smooth lately.
Try the Custom plus with lubricating oils, guys. Gives a good shave, and the oils really help with keeping irritation at bay, especially when going against the grain.

I'll let you know how it goes with the Custom 3.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:23:39 AM by xnewyawka »

buuckkweet

« Reply #562 on: July 01, 2008, 06:40:44 PM »
HeadBlade for the main stuff and use a Mach 3 Turbo for shaving around the ears. 8)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:28:37 PM by buuckkweet »

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #563 on: July 01, 2008, 09:09:11 PM »
I tried a pack of the custom 3 plus razors out this weekend. Very impressed! However, the base of my neck did suffer the slightest irritation, although this was most likely due to going against the grain for the first couple of times. The rest of my head did just fine, though. Good call, BJ!

I will still use my HB, but the custom 3 plus is my new backup
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #564 on: July 02, 2008, 08:20:11 AM »
I still have a partial pack of the Gillette Custom Plus 3s.  They are great for touching-up, as they're not as wide as my Schick Xtreme 3.  The Custom Plus is easier to manuever around the ears, which is where I have the most problems.

Red

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #565 on: July 07, 2008, 09:11:13 AM »
In order of ones I've tried:

1. Fusion - Great shave, never got so much as a nick. I do find myself having to go over spots quite a few times however.
2. Headblade Sport - Constant nicks and cuts, not for my head.
3. Panasonic 8043 - Great shave, no irritation on my head but another story for my neck.
4. Atra - Close shave, but near same results as the Headblade Sport.
5. Mach 3 - Picked up this morning, will update tomorrow.

Offline J Digory

• My head's like my bass playin': Smooth
  • Super Sly
« Reply #566 on: July 07, 2008, 06:43:26 PM »
What is the point of a vibrating razor blade? Who's bright idea was it to take 5 razors and make them shake violently? Come on...this doesn't help you cut your whiskers!

Offline Mclovin

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #567 on: July 10, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »
Just started shaving me noggin and tried the Headblade and now am into the Fusion. Headblade shave cream is my choice. Have a restaurant in the Pittsburgh are and want to have a SLY BALD GUYS NITE anyone have ideas on what to do. Open for any suggestions.
Thanks Brothers

Offline J Digory

• My head's like my bass playin': Smooth
  • Super Sly
« Reply #568 on: July 11, 2008, 12:53:10 AM »
Offer a discount to any ladies with a bald guy?
Have some food specials that are shaped round and smooth? ok, maybe not that one.
Come up with a drink called the Sly Bald Guy and really push it that night?

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #569 on: July 11, 2008, 12:57:37 AM »
I would hold a St. Baldrick's event ;)

Enter your email address: