New Member Section > Introductions

Hello and introduction

<< < (3/3)

Razorhead:

--- Quote from: Bencito on October 12, 2023, 12:47:34 PM ---Sometimes it is strange to look at myself with a shaved head rather than hair, but this feeling is fading. Now whenever I see my older photos with hair, they start to look strange. I think that society as a whole prefers men with hair to being bald, and that is why it can be a struggle to be bald, whether by choice or by nature.

--- End quote ---

@Bencito   I‘be been shaving since 2007. During that time I did regrow my hair and shave again and repeat. Although I am used to being bald, I still find myself surprised that I shave my head and love doing it. Imguees it’s because it’s a daily ritual. I will look in the mirror and catch myself thinking “who is that melon head” all with a laugh. I think my hair hair days are over. In my mid 50s, being bald is just easy.  I am not sure how so society feels about bald vs hair. I think there is just general acceptance of baldness in all forms. I think we are more self conscious about ourselves when in reality no one everyone else isn’t taking notice. To any guy who wants to be bald by choice, I say just do it.

cmac:
@Bencito it was a great experience! I was a little nervous but as soon as I asked for the smooth shave the barber ran the clippers right down the middle of my head and there was no going back. I talked to the barber about how i had always wanted to be bald while he shaved my head and he said some guys are just like that and he does a lot of head shaves. I agree with @Razorhead if you want to be bald you should just be bald. Once the idea pops into your head its like an itch that has to be scratched. There should be a term for bald by choice guys who now can’t go a couple of days without shaving. I feel like I am bald but no longer by choice after shaving so long, I don’t think I could get myself to grow it back for long without compulsively grabbing the razor. I am not complaining though, i am a bald guy to everyone in my life at this point. Fresh barbershop head shaved photo attached.

Razorhead:
@cmac that is an amazingly smooth head shave at the barbers. What’s his process? Straight razor and foil shaver combined or just a razor?

Love your story about the barber running the clippers straight down the middle and there was no turning back. My first shave I did it myself in the bathroom. I was excited but very nervous. I took my first swipe with the razor across the side of my head. I guess I was probably thinking that I can probably save myself with a bald fade. Then in a flash, my thinking became “this is your first time shaving. Take it like a man and go right up the middle”. So up the middle I went. So worth it.

Bencito:
@Razorhead  well said, and thanks for sharing your experience. I agree that our society has come a long way towards acceptance of baldness. That may be why I have not got a lot of comments since I shaved my head regularly. Of course, this varies with different cultures and societies. It seems like it gets easier with age. Yes, we are lucky to be able to enjoy this great style (bald by choice)!

@cmac  this looks like a good, smooth head shave at your barbershop. I have had a few of them, and it was nice to be pampered. I had them before I decided to maintain the bald look. I want to go for one from time to time but I also like the convenience of shaving my head myself.

Below are some of my experiences.

Some barbers would only do clipper head shaves.

One barber was very surprised when I asked for a straight razor head shave. He used the clippers to buzz around the sides before buzzing the top of my head. He asked a few times whether I wanted a full straight razor head shave before proceeding.

Another time, another barber did not hesitate to run the clippers down the middle of my head and lather it up after I asked for a straight razor head shave. Afterwards, he used the straight razor to dry shave the rought spots.

The most enjoyable one I had was in Istanbul, Turkey. The barber gently confirmed that I wanted to have a straight razor head shave before running the clippers down the middle of my head and buzzing my hair off. Then he lathered my head up and shaved my head with a straight razor twice before washing it and applying aftershave.

Similar to you, I have not been able to grow out my hair since I decided to adopt the bald look as my main look. The longest I have lasted was around 5 days and it felt very unkempt for me.  That is also why I decided to renew my driver’s license with the bald look because I want my ID to match with my look as a bald guy.

Sir Harry:
Late to the party, but welcome!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version