Discussions About Being Bald > Advantages and Disadvantages to being Bald

No more awkward small talk at the barbershop

<< < (2/2)

reddog:
@Razorhead , yes, I agree, it,was great when I had a regular barber that I enjoyed talking to. About 15 years ago, I was living in a small rural town. I was wearing a great flattop and tried several barbers in town but none were very good. There was a tiny little town about 10 miles away with a small one chair barbershop. That barber was very talented, and did a great flattop. Great conversations with him and also his customers.

One thing I liked, I would walk in, hop in the chair, get caped up and he would start cutting without asking how I wanted it! He also finished with hot lather and a straight razor around the ears.

Razorhead:
@reddog yes, what you described is the ideal barbershop situation. I love the one chair shops too. Sometimes they are an extra long wait, but well worth it. Especially for the nice finishes like a a razor shave clean up on the neck and around the ears.

The one chair shop I went to, the barber caped me up and asked me what I wanted. I said a flattop and then started to go into more detail. He stopped me and said “I know what you want. You want to look like a drill instructor.” This became one of my all time favorite shops. Generally, barbers that weren’t afraid to go short (and then shorter on the next cut) and didn’t require a lot of instruction were my favorites.

reddog:
@Razorhead , about 30 years ago, I passed a small barbershop with a big sign in the window that said "FLATTOP EXPERT" . I finally got the guts to go in, thinking I would try a flattop. At the time my hair was medium long and a little over my ears. So when I went in, he was doing a fatty on a guy.

He must have seen me watching him do the flatty, because when I got in the chair he said, I'll bet you want a flattop! I said maybe, can you leave the top a little long so I can brush it to the side? He said no, A flattop has to be short with sharp edges. Well, I chickened out and just got a trim. To this day I wish I would have told him to go ahead and go really short! A year or so later, I ended up getting a flatty at A different shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version