Discussions About Being Bald > Advantages and Disadvantages to being Bald

No more awkward small talk at the barbershop

(1/2) > >>

cmac:
I had a conversation of my buddies who is also bald today and we both agreed that not only do you save money at the barbershop by not not going due to shaving your head, you also no longer have to have awkward small talk with barbers that you will never see again. I think its cool that some people have a consistent barber they see but a lot of people i know just get a random time slot with a random barber they will likely never see again and have to endure some form of awkward small talk during their haircut. I am now at two months sly and that thought definitely added more fuel to the fire in my decision to keep shaving outside of being addicted to a smooth shave.

chuck63:
When I had hair, I was friends with my stylist and enjoyed talking to her while she cut my hair.  I don’t miss calling to make appointments or the time involved in running back and forth, waiting my turn, etc.  I’ve thought about treating myself to a straight razor head shave in a barber shop but haven’t gotten around to it yet. 

reddog:
I don't miss the barbershop at all. When I had hair, I never knew if I was going to get a good haircut or a hack job. Before I started shaving, I was cutting my own hair, and got quite good at it! A few years after I started shaving, I grew my hair back for a couple months, and went to a barbershop for a high and tight flattop. It was so bad, when I got home and looked in the mirror, I went right into the bathroom and shaved my head. A waste of $25.00.

@chuck63 , I had two barbershop headshaves. Both were ok, but not as smooth as I could do at home. It was a great experience though. Especially the guys waiting, they kept sneaking looks.

Razorhead:
I didn’t mind having conversations with a barber. Most times I enjoyed it. What I don’t miss is the wait or the drive to and from. I live in a small town so most good barbers are at least 20 or 30 minutes away. So a haircut could be a 1.5 to 2 hour adventure every two weeks. I always preferred barber shops and not salons. And barbers are typically first come first served without an appointment. But it is a cost savings. I think my old barber is now $25 and before the pandemic he was $16.

Razorhead:
@reddog i think flattop barbers are just hard to come by anymore. My last flattop was also a hack job. I didn’t want to shave my head so the only way to correct it was to buzz the top with a #1. The flattop before was perfect but the barber was about an hour way and that’s not ideal for a regular haircut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version