New Member Section > Introductions

Shaving After Hair Transplant - Could Really Use A Supportive Community

(1/4) > >>

yankees12345:
Hello,

My story is far from unique, but I could really use a supportive group helping me through the next couple steps in my journey toward self acceptance.

Like everyone, I had a full thick head of hair for most my life and internalized it as part of my identity.  Catching covid twice really seemed to accelerate my male pattern balding and boy was I not prepared.  I made the really bad decision to get a hair transplant at 32–and of course it looked awful, didn’t stop my thinning, and left me with a linear scar on the back of my head.

Now I would like to move on and accept the bald (or close shave) look.  Its been a rough year and a half, trust me, total collapse in confidence and body image.  I could really use a supportive community as I work through this pickle I have placed myself in.  I feel very alone and isolated grappling my way through right now.  I’m too embarrassed to open up to my friends, and don’t want to burden my folks.

Browsing though these forum has helped a lot.  But, man, just having like some active voices out there helping me accept the sly guy look (scar and all) and work through the practical aspects of tidying up the scar and camouflaging it would be really helpful.  It’s gonna be a process but by January, I want to have it concealed as much as possible and shave everything off for the new year.

Let me know if you’re out there and down to help me through a little bit?

Thanks a million.

reddog:
Hi @yankees12345 , and welcome!

I'm much older than you, but I will share a couple things from my experience. I had a full head of beautiful silver hair when I decided to shave it off one time out of curiosity. Most of my life, I lived with a terrible skin condition on my head. When I shaved my head, the dermatitis healed up in a few days. My dermatologist tried several treatments, none worked, so the only cure was to shave my head daily. After a year or so, I actually grew to love wearing a bald head. It just takes some time to get used to it.

One thing that helps when I start missing my hair is seeing so many other guys sporting completely shaved heads. Everywhere you look there are guys of all ages with smooth shaved heads, and the numbers are growing fast! So hang in there, give it some time.

If you do a search here, I remember there were several discussions about minimizing transplant scars.

slybeard:
Talk to a dermatologist about the scar.  The are some good treatments to reduce the scar available. As far as missing the hair, it is an initial shock, but most guys that totally shave and give it some time really like it.  And some guys just accept the scar and shave.

There is also SMP.  If you don't know about that, it is basically a scalp tattoo consisting of small dots that give the appearance of a short buzz/shadow.  Depending on the scar, it may be enough hide it. But I suggest you go down the route of reducing the scar first.

Razor X:
I didn’t think that the transplant technique that results in a big scar was still being used.

Razorhead:
@yankees12345 welcome to sly guys. We are a great supportive community. I know a couple guys who didn’t care for their hair transplant surgeries and just ended up shaving their heads. One is a barber and didn’t like the outcome and appearance. I think the other guy had a similar reaction but I think it was also more about his hair in general…….it was alll white and just made him look older. Both of them just ended up shaving their heads. Personally I think the shaved head looks better on both of them, it’s just their authentic look. They do have a scar but it’s not noticeable.

I think guys put too much emphasis on their hair and in reality hair loss among men is just going to happen.  A buddy said it best “guys are just expected to be bald and no one cares.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version