Author Topic: Anyone one old enough to remember being told "Get a haircut" as a kid/teen?  (Read 5966 times)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
I was fighting with my parents in 2010s because I never wanted to go to hairdresser so I had an abhorrent mullet for 3 years haha

I bet kids today also fight with their parents because of their hair

They absolutely do!  And sometimes they are still fighting with their parents tell them to get into my barber chair1

These days the late middle schoolers that early highschoolers like to let the whole forelock long and curly and falling down in front of the rise and some of them their hair is so long that they have to wear a baseball cap or false in front of their faceS!

On the flipside ——-  About 10 years ago or more my nephew kept wanting to shave his head and his mother refused to let him do it.  She finally Allowed him to try it when he was 14.  After that she fought with him about it until he was 16 and she just gave up fighting and he’s kept that shaved clean ever since he was 16 years old right through high school college and everything and still to this day in his 20’S!

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
I was fighting with my parents in 2010s because I never wanted to go to hairdresser so I had an abhorrent mullet for 3 years haha

I bet kids today also fight with their parents because of their hair

They absolutely do!  And sometimes they are still fighting with their parents tell them to get into my barber chair1

These days the late middle schoolers that early highschoolers like to let the whole forelock long and curly and falling down in front of the rise and some of them their hair is so long that they have to wear a baseball cap or false in front of their faceS!

On the flipside ——-  About 10 years ago or more my nephew kept wanting to shave his head and his mother refused to let him do it.  She finally Allowed him to try it when he was 14.  After that she fought with him about it until he was 16 and she just gave up fighting and he’s kept that shaved clean ever since he was 16 years old right through high school college and everything and still to this day in his 20’S!

Wow,so young and already chose the cueball life.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!

Yeah there was definitely a generation that was the opposite. They didn’t want any of their hair! I worked with a guy who clipper shaved his head since high school. So he’s going on 25 yrs.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
In the early 2000s a lot of kids were asking their parents to let them have their heads shaved, but it was just a passing fad.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
In the early 70’s I was in the Texas Boys’ Choir which required us to keep our hair cut in the extremely unfashionably short style of the early 60’s. As soon as my voice cracked, and I was “retired”, I grew it as long as I could to make up for lost time. My dad only stopped me when it got to my jaw line.
Then the Saturday Night Fever disco feathering thing came around. I am so glad I got over that one quickly and very few pics exist to remind me of that period.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline clipped

• Sly
I have not visited in a while, but this post caught my attention. I never had hair longer than bottom of my ear in the ‘70s but do remember dad saying, “get a haircut”.  In the ‘80s as I entered a conservative profession, I adopted a “businessman’s regular” around the ears and quite liked it. in the ‘90s, my barber once suggested a “High & Tight” but didn’t explain that it would look better with my advancing thinly covered dome.  I wish he had been more forceful. In the mid-2000s, a new barber suggested a crew cut. I was hesitant. He surprised me one day with a 3-2-1 Ivy League which I liked. We moved onto to buzzcuts and eventually a #00000 clipper shave (he didn’t do razor head shaves). That’s when I found this site, which was very helpful.   He also did a few H&T flattops for me but eventually said that I didn’t have enough left for him to do that.  I switched to doing my own buzzcuts and first head shave in 2004, alternating between buzzcuts and occasional razor shaves.  I had to do my over version of the 30-day rule (mine was a-365-day rule) to totally accept being shaved &/or clipper shaved bald.  I love the look now and it fits with my conservative profession.

Now I am struggling with the idea of being bald and bearded, which doesn’t exactly fit with my conservative profession.  I have grown my beard a few times, but never more than 11 weeks.  After getting past the first 3-4 weeks, I quite like the look. My hair is all white and I am pale. My wife is not fond of my having a beard. She thinks it makes me look older.  It does.  But I am in fairly good physical shape, not overweight and I think being bearded I look “age appropriate”. I am not obsessed with looking younger although most people think that I am about 5 years younger than my 71 years. However, I am fortunate in having a wife who looks quite a bit younger than her age; she is 6 years younger than I am.

I also have tried a solo mustache, which I had for 5 years or so in my early 20s.  But now, I would like a larger casual handlebar style. Again, not exactly very conservative.  I find that accepting the changed appearance of being bearded or having facial hair of some type is similar to the process of accepting shaving my head and accepting being bald. it can be a long process.  Negative reactions of friends and family doesn’t help.   Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
@clipped I am a similar age and had a similar experience. Consultative family, consultative job and lifestyle. As such, I always wanted a beard and a "more aggressive) hairstyle, but never dared anything beyond the business man haircut, with a solo mustache, or close trimmed circle beard (mustache with goatee).  in the 80's, I wanted a mullet but did not dare to try it.  In the 90's, I wanted the high-n-tight, but again did not.   By the time I turned 50, I finally told myself i no longer want to just please others.  It was too late for my hairstyle wishes as I had started headshaving around age 49.  But it was time to let my facial hair go, and grow.  Since then it has been big full beard and handlebar length mustache (sometime styles as a handlebar, mostly not).  I have been having fun with it for nearly 12 years.

My wife and mother were not fond of my style choices for the first 6 to 12 months, and after that accepted it, and maybe even liked it a bit.  But I also learned the in my profession and life in general, no one really cared about my hairstyle or facial hair choices.  All the years I spent holding myself back from what I wanted due to my own perceived restrictions were wasted.

So my advice, ignore the negative reactions from friends and family.  They will accept your style, or at least stop commenting once they see that their comments have no effect.  Even if they do bother you, keep it to yourself, or make a joke out of it.
SlyBeard

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
@clipped I am a similar age and had a similar experience. Consultative family, consultative job and lifestyle. As such, I always wanted a beard and a "more aggressive) hairstyle, but never dared anything beyond the business man haircut, with a solo mustache, or close trimmed circle beard (mustache with goatee).  in the 80's, I wanted a mullet but did not dare to try it.  In the 90's, I wanted the high-n-tight, but again did not.   By the time I turned 50, I finally told myself i no longer want to just please others.  It was too late for my hairstyle wishes as I had started headshaving around age 49.  But it was time to let my facial hair go, and grow.  Since then it has been big full beard and handlebar length mustache (sometime styles as a handlebar, mostly not).  I have been having fun with it for nearly 12 years.

My wife and mother were not fond of my style choices for the first 6 to 12 months, and after that accepted it, and maybe even liked it a bit.  But I also learned the in my profession and life in general, no one really cared about my hairstyle or facial hair choices.  All the years I spent holding myself back from what I wanted due to my own perceived restrictions were wasted.

So my advice, ignore the negative reactions from friends and family.  They will accept your style, or at least stop commenting once they see that their comments have no effect.  Even if they do bother you, keep it to yourself, or make a joke out of it.

I have to absolutely agree with this advice!   You really must do what makes you happy and what makes you feel good about the inner man inside of you.  Please don’t waste a single day of your life compromising your true self because of what you “think”

Offline chuck63

• Sly
I was told to go get a haircut many times as a teenager.  I never would have done it at the time, but looking back, I should have asked for a head shave. 

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
On a related note:   Does anyone remember their parents getting fed up with their long hair and sitting them down and chopping off their hair?

My mother chopped off my forelock once and my father a few times threaten to shave my head- But I knew that was an idle threat!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
My dad cut our hair up to about 10 years old. He wasn't very good at it! It was a tradition in our neighborhood that the day after school was out for the summer, our dads would give us a "heinie" haircut. Basically it was a no guard clipper shave. It was the late 50's, so short hair was the norm.

One time, my mom tried to trim our bangs, it was a disaster.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
I was told to go get a haircut many times as a teenager.  I never would have done it at the time, but looking back, I should have asked for a head shave.

If we only knew then what we know now. I would have stayed with a short military haircut with sandpaper sides instead of fighting with my dad over wanting longer hair. Missed opportunity on my part. After college I started cutting my hair super short. It would have saved everyone a lot of aggravation.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 04:56:23 AM by Razorhead »

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
My dad cut our hair up to about 10 years old. He wasn't very good at it! It was a tradition in our neighborhood that the day after school was out for the summer, our dads would give us a "heinie" haircut. Basically it was a no guard clipper shave. It was the late 50's, so short hair was the norm.

Red dog:  How old are you that you brought up the term; “Heinie” haircut.  When I was a kid we called that Haircut the same name ——AND ——- One of our neighbors down the street or a family with the last name; “Heinie”!  They had two boys and their family just like we did one my age and what about four years older who was my brother’s age.  Mrs. Heinie was a real tyrant.  She dictated every aspect of life in that household

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau

Red dog:  How old are you that you brought up the term; “Heinie” haircut.  When I was a kid we called that Haircut the same name ——AND ——- One of our neighbors down the street or a family with the last name; “Heinie”!  They had two boys and their family just like we did one my age and what about four years older who was my brother’s age.  Mrs. Heinie was a real tyrant.  She dictated every aspect of life in that household

Mrs. Heinie gave both of the boys their haircuts .  They We’re both blonde guys.  The one who was in high school was allowed to have a short back and sides with a side part comb-over.  With the one who was my age hated getting his haircut and always gave his mother a bad time about it.  Sooooo….. She always made short work of it and every Saturday gave that kid a zero buzz cut!  With that blond hair that kid looked positively bald!  Even for the 1960s that was pretty extreme for a kid to have what looked like a shaved head.  The kid absolutely hated it but she kept doing it to him until he got to be a junior in high school.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
@Semi-Sly , I'm 69. I think hienie  was a term for a German.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Enter your email address: