Author Topic: Anyone one old enough to remember being told "Get a haircut" as a kid/teen?  (Read 6006 times)

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
I was thinking about this the other day.

It was a major battle between myself and my dad me. Threats of "if you don't go to the barber, I will shave it off myself," etc.

Of course, once I started shaving it, that was never an issue, and it became the opposite, "when are you going to grow some hair" until he realized I couldn't.

I think the fight over hair length went out with the 8-Track player in cars.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
I definitely remember it! I was fired from my job in 1973 for refusing to get a haircut.

A few years before that, when I was about 13 yo, my mom picked my brother and I from school to go to the barbershop. The Beatles were getting popular then so we had longer hair growing over the ears. My dad ordered crewcuts for us, and we weren't happy! So my brother went first, and with his light colored hair, looked nearly bald. When it was my turn, I bolted out of the barbershop and refused to get it cut. Well, my dad was furious, and took me back the next day. I got the crewcut and it wasn't that bad, just got ribbed a little at school the next day.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
Oh I remember the term "hey hippie!"  Back then I thought long hair was cool(at least according to my friends).  Well, turns out it wasn't really that cool.  I just went with the flow then a couple of my friends got bald on top.  There's no way I can describe the shift in attitudes.  I guess it was just a "peer" thing.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
I never really got into the "long hair" thing that was going strong in the 70's, so it was never really an issue for  me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 02:03:58 PM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Yeah I remember those days! I hated getting a haircut. I had that classic 80s look with the center part and hair over the ears. Dad didn’t like it at all. For my one haircut, my dad told the barber to “sandpaper” the sides. I went from having the longest hair in my class to Army short. Going to school was brutal.  I grew it back out though.

Once I got into my 20s, it was a different story. I wanted my hair short and eventually worked up the nerve and got my first flattop. Eventually, I started getting high and tights, then clipper shaved.  I was getting a haircut every 2 weeks.

In hindsight, instead of teen rebellion with my Dad I should have just fallen in line and kept that sandpaper short haircut.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 05:27:12 AM by Razorhead »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
When I hit the 1980's, I started going a little shorter, and I liked it. Then I married a hairstylist, and she hated short hair. I went though several hairstyles, including perms! I was the guinea pig for everything new my wife was trying out. I did convince her to let me get a long flattop once, and she hated it.

It was great to get to the point where I didn't care what anyone else wanted, and I discovered how awesome it was to sport a shaved head.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
@reddog  Ugh perms. I had a teacher with poker straight hair and his wife talked him into a perm. What a mistake!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
I trusted her, she was the best stylist. It didn't look bad, I kinda had a mullet thing going on. I always hated the smell from a perm, made me gag!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
I trusted her, she was the best stylist. It didn't look bad, I kinda had a mullet thing going on. I always hated the smell from a perm, made me gag!

OK, you have got to find us an old photo of the perm/mullet hair!
SlyBeard

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
If you are going to do a mullet, you might as well go big and do it right. That’s awesome.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
I was thinking about this the other day.

It was a major battle between myself and my dad me. Threats of "if you don't go to the barber, I will shave it off myself," etc.

Of course, once I started shaving it, that was never an issue, and it became the opposite, "when are you going to grow some hair" until he realized I couldn't.

I think the fight over hair length went out with the 8-Track player in cars.

Oh yeah!

Is my forelock  got anywhere near my eyes I got told to get a haircut or my mother would grab a pair of shears  and she would cut it!  And that was always a fate worse than death!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
The 70's and 80's must have been devastating for traditional barbers! Then in the 80's and 90's guys were all going to salon stylists.

Remember when there were basically only two guys with shaved heads? Yul Brenner and Telly Savalas were way ahead of their time! I wonder why shaved heads didn't catch on back then? Just too radical I guess.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
The 70's and 80's must have been devastating for traditional barbers! Then in the 80's and 90's guys were all going to salon stylists.

Remember when there were basically only two guys with shaved heads? Yul Brenner and Telly Savalas were way ahead of their time! I wonder why shaved heads didn't catch on back then? Just too radical I guess.
Yes it was definitely radical but I remember even then thinking that those guys were  “way cool”! But it wasn’t until the 1990s and the advent of head shaving fundraisers that I had the balls to try it myself.

Offline BaldBlindAt20

• ŁYSY ALE ZNA PRZEPISY
  • Sly Jr.
I was fighting with my parents in 2010s because I never wanted to go to hairdresser so I had an abhorrent mullet for 3 years haha

I bet kids today also fight with their parents because of their hair

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

60 Minutes did a feature on Yul Brynner shortly before he died. It included some brief footage of him shaving his head with a razor just before going on stage.  I remember being simultaneously fascinated and appalled.  It was something I could t imagine anyone ever doing but at the same time I did wonder what it would be like to do it. It didn’t occur to me then that I’d ever try it myself.