Author Topic: Shaving Regiment Suggestions  (Read 2304 times)

Offline KC-FireDog

• Learning the way of Sly
Shaving Regiment Suggestions
« on: December 21, 2022, 04:59:25 PM »
I’m thinking of using an electric shaver on weekdays & doing a good razor shave at the start of the weekend.  Have seen ads for head electric shavers like the Pitbull.  Should I get an electric shaver or stick with guardless clippers (own an Andis Envy.  I’d also love hot shaving cream when breaking out my DE Safety razor.  Any thoughts?  KC

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Shaving Regiment Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 04:02:28 AM »
Once in a while I use my Remington foil electric shaver, with great results. I find it easiest to razor shave daily in the shower. Sometimes I like to get out the shaving brush/soap and DE safety razor and take my time in front of the bathroom mirror.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline KC-FireDog

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 06:32:06 AM »
My barber uses a Remington foil electric shaver.  Maybe Santa has one for me. 🙏🏼😀

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 07:29:23 AM »
Panasonic makes great shavers that can be used wet or dry.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 08:25:00 AM »
I have an Andis foil shaver.  It works great and gets closer to a blade shave than any other electric I have tried, but I can still shave quicker in the shower with my Gillette Fusion.  I bought it because I thought it would be a quick touch-up between shaves and easier to use for traveling.  I rarely use it though because I still fine the blade quicker and closer.

BTW, since you are new to head shaving, you are likely still in the learning phase of head shaving.  It took me 30 minutes for my fist head shave in front of a bathroom mirror.  After daily head shaving for a couple of months, I had the time down to less than 10 minutes in the shower with an anti-fog shower mirror.  Now, it takes me less than 5 minutes in the shower.  The steam from the shower helps, and there is no clean-up afterwards.
SlyBeard

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 10:57:25 AM »
I’m thinking of using an electric shaver on weekdays & doing a good razor shave at the start of the weekend.  Have seen ads for head electric shavers like the Pitbull.  Should I get an electric shaver or stick with guardless clippers (own an Andis Envy.  I’d also love hot shaving cream when breaking out my DE Safety razor.  Any thoughts?  KC
The roteries don't work well for me but the electric foil shavers do.  I made the mistake of buying stuff out of curiosity and I spent a lot of money on things I don't even use to shave with.  I found that hair conditioner works best for me but things like shea butter don't seem to work for me.  It's an experimental thing and what works for one guy might not work for you.  It will take some time but sooner or later, you'll find your way.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 05:08:57 AM »
When I first started shaving my head, it was fun trying different soaps, creams, and razors. It took a long time to find the right products and routines, and yes, A few dollars were wasted. I still like to try different products once in a while, but I usually stick with my regular routine. It would be nice to only shave two or three times a week, buy I'm one of those guys that has to shave every day because I want it smooth.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 01:32:03 PM »
When I first started shaving my head, it was fun trying different soaps, creams, and razors. It took a long time to find the right products and routines, and yes, A few dollars were wasted. I still like to try different products once in a while, but I usually stick with my regular routine. It would be nice to only shave two or three times a week, buy I'm one of those guys that has to shave every day because I want it smooth.
Yeah, I'm in the habit of shaving every day too!  If I skip a day, I'll have twice the work when I do shave.  As long as my haircut looks good, I'll shave as often as possible.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 12:33:39 PM »
There is one thing I don't understand. I shave daily in the shower, and one day I get an absolutely BBS close shave. The next day, using the exact same routine, I can't get the top smooth no mater how many times I go over it. Im sure there is a reason, but haven't found the answer yet.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 06:55:19 AM »
There is one thing I don't understand. I shave daily in the shower, and one day I get an absolutely BBS close shave. The next day, using the exact same routine, I can't get the top smooth no mater how many times I go over it. Im sure there is a reason, but haven't found the answer yet.
Dry skin.  The blade scrapes the skin.  When that happens to me, I go over my head with an electric and it smooths it real good then I put some moisturizer on it.  Never used to happen but now it does.  I think as we get older, we make less oil then we used to.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 09:20:43 AM »
@clint902 , thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try exfoliating a couple times a week, too.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 09:51:53 AM »
That dry, flaking skin drives me nuts!  Exfoliating is good but don't over due it!  Winter's an especially tough time because the air is dryer.  Once I exfoliated after a shave and so much dead skin came off I could feel the nubs again but I left it alone because If I shaved again, I'd get all irritated.

Enter your email address: