Author Topic: Restarting a Morning Ritual  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Restarting a Morning Ritual
« on: October 27, 2022, 12:13:52 PM »
For the past several years, I have been shaving my head and face in the shower.  It's quick and the results are good.  My wife mentioned that I take "long" showers because of this.  It was not a complaint, just more like a passing remark, but it got me thinking, so yesterday, I decided to shave both my face and head at the sink. I rinsed with hot water, used my brush to get HeadSlick into a nice lather and slathered my head and face.  I used my Gillette Fusion and slowly shaved, relathering as I went.  I finished off with a cold rinse and then aftershave balm. 

It was really relaxing and it felt good to go back to my original shaving ritual, which I admit I haven't used in about seven years.  I'm retired, so the extra few minutes aren't a problem (when I was working, five minutes more in the morning was a big deal!)

I don't know if I'll I will stay with the sink shave or just do it occasionally, but it was enjoyable to bring back the old ritual. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Restarting a Morning Ritual
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 01:01:46 PM »
@Laser Man , I know exactly what you mean! Lately I've been trying to to do the same thing. My five minute showers are more like 15 + minutes when shaving my head. With the price of natural gas going so high, I've been trying to shave at the sink too, it's just hard to change the routine. Also, if I shave at the sink, I like to lather up with the shaving brush and often break out the double edge safety razor. When I have the time, it's very enjoyable and the results are great.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 04:02:47 PM »
@Laser Man , I know exactly what you mean! Lately I've been trying to to do the same thing. My five minute showers are more like 15 + minutes when shaving my head. With the price of natural gas going so high, I've been trying to shave at the sink too, it's just hard to change the routine. Also, if I shave at the sink, I like to lather up with the shaving brush and often break out the double edge safety razor. When I have the time, it's very enjoyable and the results are great.

@reddog  I have a DE that I've used on my face, but I am not good with it on the scalp - too many nicks especially on the back.  I can't seem to get the angle right on my scalp and either nick myself or end up with some stubble.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 04:25:45 PM »
Yeah, I have to be really careful with the DE. I think you have to have the right razor and blades that work for you. I still have to use the Extreme 3 around my ears. I guess I just like the tradition of using a DE. There are so many ways for guys us dedicated baldies to scrape our heads smooth, I guess that's some of the fun of it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 04:30:31 PM »
Yeah, I have to be really careful with the DE. I think you have to have the right razor and blades that work for you. I still have to use the Extreme 3 around my ears. I guess I just like the tradition of using a DE. There are so many ways for guys us dedicated baldies to scrape our heads smooth, I guess that's some of the fun of it!

When I first bought the DE, I was committed to mastering it for my scalp and then progressing to a straight razor!  Turns out I simply didn't have the time to devote to getting the DE right. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 05:04:59 AM »
Occasionally, I like to soak in a really hot tub. Once I get the tub full, I scootch down and get my head under water, then take my time and use my DE razor. Very relaxing, and use alot less water. It's nice to be retired too, and have time for relaxing. The hot tub is also good for those achy joints!

Offline Thathawkguy001

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 03:18:49 PM »
I fill the sink up and just shave with my razor and if In a hurry I use my foil.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 08:06:24 PM »
I admit. I’m the guy that makes a huge mess at the sink. Water everywhere. So I stick to the shower to shave. But at the sink is where it all started. Probably many of us did start at the sink to rely on the mirror while learning to shave our heads. I remember being very uncoordinated first starting out because I relied too much on the mirror and overthinking how everything seemed opposite.  Now I rely on just the feel.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 05:18:26 AM »
My house was built in 1958, and still has the triple mirror in the bathroom. The two ends fold out so you have several different views, including the back of your head. Very easy to see your progress and you still have both hands to work with. Glad I kept the mirror when I remodeled!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 12:50:35 AM »
I've tried a few different razors including an electric foil.  I really like my de though.  I hardly ever nick myself.  I get my hair soft enough to cut but I notice I have to exfoliate more often because the razor scrapes the skin as well so there's that.  One thing I've recently discovered is that a wet shave with an electric gets me closer than a blade so I'm doing that right now.  Holding a de isn't a huge deal.  It's pretty automatic for me but the angle of the razor seems to find itself.  I go entirely by feel and when the skin is smooth then I can tell I have the right angle.  Right now my scalp is getting kind of pale so I'll exfoliate today and hope for the best.  It's hard to tell if it's dry skin or just my tan fading so I'll exfoliate today with a mild scrub.  I can't even remember the last time I went to a barber.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 09:28:35 AM »
I normally shave in the shower in the late afternoon or early evening.  I had some extra time this morning, so I did a quick shave in the sink.  I think the shower helps to soften up the stubble, which makes for a closer shave.  It was nice to start the day with a chrome dome!

Enter your email address: