Discussions About Being Bald > General Discussion

Restarting a Morning Ritual

(1/3) > >>

Laser Man:
For the past several years, I have been shaving my head and face in the shower.  It's quick and the results are good.  My wife mentioned that I take "long" showers because of this.  It was not a complaint, just more like a passing remark, but it got me thinking, so yesterday, I decided to shave both my face and head at the sink. I rinsed with hot water, used my brush to get HeadSlick into a nice lather and slathered my head and face.  I used my Gillette Fusion and slowly shaved, relathering as I went.  I finished off with a cold rinse and then aftershave balm. 

It was really relaxing and it felt good to go back to my original shaving ritual, which I admit I haven't used in about seven years.  I'm retired, so the extra few minutes aren't a problem (when I was working, five minutes more in the morning was a big deal!)

I don't know if I'll I will stay with the sink shave or just do it occasionally, but it was enjoyable to bring back the old ritual. 

reddog:
@Laser Man , I know exactly what you mean! Lately I've been trying to to do the same thing. My five minute showers are more like 15 + minutes when shaving my head. With the price of natural gas going so high, I've been trying to shave at the sink too, it's just hard to change the routine. Also, if I shave at the sink, I like to lather up with the shaving brush and often break out the double edge safety razor. When I have the time, it's very enjoyable and the results are great.

Laser Man:

--- Quote from: reddog on October 27, 2022, 01:01:46 PM ---@Laser Man , I know exactly what you mean! Lately I've been trying to to do the same thing. My five minute showers are more like 15 + minutes when shaving my head. With the price of natural gas going so high, I've been trying to shave at the sink too, it's just hard to change the routine. Also, if I shave at the sink, I like to lather up with the shaving brush and often break out the double edge safety razor. When I have the time, it's very enjoyable and the results are great.

--- End quote ---

@reddog  I have a DE that I've used on my face, but I am not good with it on the scalp - too many nicks especially on the back.  I can't seem to get the angle right on my scalp and either nick myself or end up with some stubble.

reddog:
Yeah, I have to be really careful with the DE. I think you have to have the right razor and blades that work for you. I still have to use the Extreme 3 around my ears. I guess I just like the tradition of using a DE. There are so many ways for guys us dedicated baldies to scrape our heads smooth, I guess that's some of the fun of it!

Laser Man:

--- Quote from: reddog on October 27, 2022, 04:25:45 PM ---Yeah, I have to be really careful with the DE. I think you have to have the right razor and blades that work for you. I still have to use the Extreme 3 around my ears. I guess I just like the tradition of using a DE. There are so many ways for guys us dedicated baldies to scrape our heads smooth, I guess that's some of the fun of it!

--- End quote ---

When I first bought the DE, I was committed to mastering it for my scalp and then progressing to a straight razor!  Turns out I simply didn't have the time to devote to getting the DE right. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version