Author Topic: The best DE Safety Razor on the Planet  (Read 1975 times)

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
The best DE Safety Razor on the Planet
« on: July 27, 2022, 05:40:00 PM »
A month ago I bought an amazing DE razor from Canada.

The Henson AL 13. It's made by a company that makes parts for the Mars Rover and The Space Station. They are use to making parts with very tight tolerances. Their razor is without exception the best made razor on the market. I bought the "Mild" which is perfect for head shaving and those who shave every day. Also good for people with sensitive skin.

I could see myself buying a "Medium" version for face shaving down the road but for now the Mild is amazing. Closest shave I have ever gotten by far. I use a 3 pass system  to achieve shaving nirvana.

They do make the same razor in Titanium although most of their line is Finely milled aluminum. They have their own blades made for them and I got a 100 pk free with a promo online. Check them out. Let me know if you try them.

https://hensonshaving.com/

"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: The best DE Safety Razor on the Planet
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 10:12:05 AM »
Looks pike quality piece, would love to try one.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Thathawkguy001

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 11:19:22 AM »
If the gifted me one I'd try it, I've been loving my leaf while on clinics. I can shave BBS in about 7 minutes while brushing my teeth. I go over it with my foil shaver to get any missed spots.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 01:32:26 PM »
I couldn't find the razor blades.  I thought you were talking about the blades.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »
I just ordered a Henson AL-13 from the factory. Delivery is said to be 3-5 days and post up just as soon as I scrape the grape.
Just for grins I looked it up on eBay and they're selling for $190 on there with free shipping from Japan. $70 from the factory. Tell your friends.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 01:51:00 PM »
Okay, I received my AL-13 about 3 weeks ago and, believe it or not, there was a learning curve to prevent my dome from looking like a rotten strawberry after a shave. In the past, with cartridge razors, I got used to shaving against the grain, especially on the sides and the back, (Not much going on up top). So I reverted to the whole "against the grain" thing, and, VOILA!. The strawberry look had made a painful comeback.
What I then experimented with was shaving with the grain, which I found to be less than effective. Not much cutting of hair and I must, subconsciously, have a yen for inflicting physical punishment on myself for perceived past wrongs because my response was to press harder. That led to a week or so using the old Panasonic so as not to disrupt the body's natural instinct to create scabs to prevent exsanguination. Then I decided to go horizontal so my shaving satisfaction could go vertical. Not with the grain, not against the grain, but, kind of across the grain. That was the secret for me. No cuts or scrapes, no irritated skin, and a nice close shave.
I started off using Feather DEs and I have a few different varieties of blades but unless I notice a perceivable difference between the current blades and any other just assume that everything is going fine.
Thanks to sellitman for bringing this razor into the light. Good find! Kudos, sir.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 07:45:58 PM »
Okay, I received my AL-13 about 3 weeks ago and, believe it or not, there was a learning curve to prevent my dome from looking like a rotten strawberry after a shave. In the past, with cartridge razors, I got used to shaving against the grain, especially on the sides and the back, (Not much going on up top). So I reverted to the whole "against the grain" thing, and, VOILA!. The strawberry look had made a painful comeback.
What I then experimented with was shaving with the grain, which I found to be less than effective. Not much cutting of hair and I must, subconsciously, have a yen for inflicting physical punishment on myself for perceived past wrongs because my response was to press harder. That led to a week or so using the old  so as not to disrupt the body's natural instinct to create scabs to prevent exsanguination. Then I decided to go horizontal so my shaving satisfaction could go vertical. Not with the grain, not against the grain, but, kind of across the grain. That was the secret for me. No cuts or scrapes, no irritated skin, and a nice close shave.
I started off using Feather DEs and I have a few different varieties of blades but unless I notice a perceivable difference between the current blades and any other just assume that everything is going fine.
Thanks to sellitman for bringing this razor into the light. Good find! Kudos, sir.

I shave down, then sideways, then on my third pass up. After that I spot shave areas that I missed. The result is baby butt smooth all over. Having fun with shave soaps now. Phoenix Shaving of Arizona has a real nice offering. Bought a sweet brush off of them and now I'm in shave nirvana.

Cheers!
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 07:51:28 PM »
I couldn't find the razor blades.  I thought you were talking about the blades.

They went to a blade manufacturer in India and private labeled their own brand. Apparently they tested many brands and this company produced a blade that had the best profile and extreme tolerances they they use. I have a 100 pack. Love them. If you want I can send a link that would get you a free 100 pk when you buy a razor.

Cheers.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 05:38:35 AM »
I have a ton of razor blades I need to use up but maybe another time, I'll take you up on that offer.
I think guys are comparing the de to a cartridge in which there is really no comparison.  In the end, will anyone notice if the hair is short or shorter?  I keep my head smooth, in fact if it got any smoother, it would be burned.  If a day or two goes by and I don't shave, I doubt that anyone would notice.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 07:10:55 AM »
Good points, @clint902. Using any razor or even an electric shaver, you will appear shaved bald to others. Like me, it's all about having a super smooth, stubble free feel. Yes, us guys with white hair can go several days without shaving and still look shaved, but I have to be totally smooth. I guess we are our greatest critics when it comes to our baldness!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
I have super dry skin so I hardly ever get it really smooth until I put a moisturizer on it.  When I was younger, my scalp was always oily and was always wiping it down but now, it's just the opposite.  Such is life.

Enter your email address: