Author Topic: Bald wanna be's  (Read 4144 times)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Bald wanna be's
« on: May 19, 2022, 07:34:01 AM »
I think there are some guys that secretly want to be bald. A guy I know, A neighbor of a good friend, always comments about my shaved head. He wears a grey pony tail about halfway down his back. I see him a couple times a year, and he always asks about my haircut.

I ran into him yesterday going into a grocery store. He mentioned that barbers aren't making any money from either of us. I told him I haven't needed a barber for over 10 years! Then as usual he compliments how good my shaved head looks. It always makes me think he would like to try going sly.

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
Re: Bald wanna be's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 08:56:14 AM »
I was a bald wannabe for a long time before I first shaved my head.  After shaving the first time I let it grow back after a few days.  I went back and forth several times before I decided to stay bald over two years ago.  I’m have a good shaving routine and I’m happy with my look.  Believe it or not, I’ve heard more women make comments about shaving their heads than men.  Of course, it was in a joking way, and you never see any bald women. 

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »
I was there once myself.  Not with the pony tail, but with a full head of hair.  I had always said I would shave at the first sign of thinning, but then that was not happening soon enough for me.  I really just want to shave it, but needed the excuse of thinning.  Once when leaving town on a two week vacation I did it.  My wife was totally surprised and shocked.  She was most disappointed because I was going to "ruin" all that vacation photos. That was a one time shave, and was probably 5 to 10 years before I actually starting shaving full time.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 10:13:01 AM »
Before I shaved for the first time, I was thinking of getting a buzzcut. As I said, two of my neighbors had shaved heads, and I started wondering how it would feel. So I decided to surprise my gf, and I got up before her and got the  out. I started with a 1/4" attachment and went to work. I didn't like it, with the white hair it looked like a Qtip. So I went with a #2, better but still didn't like it, so I tried a 0000 blade. Of course it was just subtle by then, so I got in the shower and razor ed it smooth!

So, my gal was shocked, and not very happy. By the end of the day we discussed it, and when I asked her what she thought, she said I think you should keep it that way! That was the beginning of shaved head journey, 9 years ago.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 10:19:06 AM »
I think a lot of guys are curious about shaving their heads, but most are afraid to try.

Offline BaldBlindAt20

• ŁYSY ALE ZNA PRZEPISY
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 01:40:00 AM »
I think a lot of guys are curious about shaving their heads, but most are afraid to try.

Yeah I was curious about it when I was 15, back then I was a fullhead who just wanted to see how is it like. Nowadays I don't have to imagine lol, the person who touches my head the most is ME. I like being shaved more than I want to admit lmao

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 12:31:59 PM »

I agree.  I think a lot of guys don't know how to (or don't want to) handle the barrage of questions and comments that come when you first shave your head. 

There's a huge asymmetry between men and women when it comes to changing hair styles.  A woman can have her hair cut differently or have it permed or dyed and it's treated as an everyday occurrence.  Guys on the other hand aren't expected to change their hair style very much or very often.  Before shaving my head, I had the same basic hair style for about 30 years, like most of my male friends and co-workers.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 05:17:58 AM »
Definitely, a lot of men wants to shave their head bald,even if they have all their hair, is something that is more common that people thinks. It's just that many don't express that desire.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:19:41 PM by Barbero Pelón »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 06:49:13 AM »
True. The first time I decided to shave my full head of silver hair was a huge decision. I went to bed after deciding to shave it all off the next morning. Well, I didn't sleep all night, so I got up at 4am, and got the clippers out. As I fired up the clippers, I remember my hand was shaking and my heart was racing, but I just told myself my hair would grow back. Luckily, everyone thought I looked good bald, now I have enjoyed years of sporting a smooth shaved head. Like I tell guys, you never know how you will like having a shaved head until you try it.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 08:39:07 AM »
Oh all the time. When I first shaved my head, I too started with a buzz. I liked the buzz,  however I upped and shaved it all. And if you don't like it you ca grow it back!
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 10:38:34 AM »
I've tried to grow it back numerous times, but always end up shaving it again. A couple times I made it long enough to have a short flattop, but at some point, I start thinking I look like an old man with it. Then when I see a few guys with great looking shaved heads, I get bald head envy, and I shave it smooth again. I think I'm destined to bwear a shaved c head for life!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 10:41:12 AM by reddog »

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 03:25:52 PM »
I was never crazy about shaved heads when it started to become a trend. I wasn’t a fan at all. I loved military haircuts and buzzcuts. But when a buddy of mine buzzed my hair without any attachment I was surprised at how much I liked it. I looked almost  bald headed. Curiosity got to me and a few months  later I worked up the nerve to razor shave my head. I loved  it ever since. So a style I really didn't care for ironically became my signature look. And surprisingly, it’s not just the look I love, but the feel of rubbing a smooth noggin.  I think the feel  always takes headshavers by surprise. That and feeling like your hair doesn’t define you.

@reddog i will always be envious of that flattop of yours. My flattop days are in the past.😩

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 04:02:02 PM »
@Razorhead , I had a couple neighbors and a friend with a shaved head, so I decided to go super short just one time, My honey agreed(kind of) to a buzzcut. So as I buzzed in stages, I didn't like it, and the shortest buzz looked bald with my white hair. I thought what the hell, might be my only chance to shave it, so I got in the shower with a razor and went to work. We all know how you can get hooked on that smooth head, nine years later it's my signature look too!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 08:07:06 PM »
@reddog Silver hair is tough with a buzzcut. My right side below the part line always reflects more light. So it looks like I didn’t fade that side correctly —- looking like a sloppy haircut and not symmetrical.. The hair on the left side in the same spot isn’t as dense. Shaving or a very high hight-and-tight  is the only way to go.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 05:38:51 AM »
I haven't shaved for the last couple of weeks but yesterday at the doctors, I looked in the mirror and my hair was a grungy brown/grey combination and just looked gross.  I'm getting bloodwork today but after I think I'll shave it off.  My wife says I look much younger when I'm bald plus my hair(if I let it grow) looks gross and dirty so I'll just shave it off.  No big deal.