Author Topic: What is your favorite 5 blade brand?  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
What is your favorite 5 blade brand?
« on: March 01, 2022, 01:05:09 PM »
I recently switched to using five blades. I always used my trusty Mach 3 for many years. I decided to give a 5 blade razor another try. I tried the fusion a long time ago and really didn’t care for it. I don’t think I liked the way the head pivots if I recall correctly. I recently tried the Gillette 5. I loved it and was hooked on using 5 blades. It has a decent price point and it effortlessly cuts through stubble. I feel that it requires less strokes and leave my head very smooth. A big improvement over a 3 blade. I’m now giving the hydro a try.  My first reaction was that I’m having to use more strokes and the swath doesn’t seem so wide for whatever reason. However, I noticed one thing. It’s left no irritation. A little more work but less irritation. It also feels a lot more comfortable on the dome while shaving. Not so bad.  I’m going to keep using it to see how it does. With the Gillette 5, I gave myself a nice gash on my head. Rookie mistake and not paying attention.

What do you guys use?

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: What is your favorite 5 blade brand?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 08:12:35 AM »
I use the Fusion and like the results.  I have not tried the Gillette 5, so I cannot compare.  But I did use the Mach 3 for some time, and I liked the fusion much better.
SlyBeard

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 04:34:31 PM »
For a long time I was a fan of the Personna M5 Magnum. I can't recall ever cutting myself with that razor, it was really a smooth shave. It was available cheap at WallyWorld and the carts lasted pretty well before I felt the need to change to a new one.
Suddenly Wally decided not to carry the M5 anymore and they started slinging Harry's razors. I kept looking at them but the day came that my last M5 cart bit the dust and I broke down and bought a Harry's razor. That proved to be a sound decision as Harry's makes, in my opinion, the second smoothest razor for head shaving that it has been my privilege to experience. It's a 5 blade system and so far I've had good results with it.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 05:19:46 PM »
Gillette Fusion gives me the closest shave.  The cartridges last a long time too