Author Topic: Freezing cold in the northeast  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Freezing cold in the northeast
« on: January 11, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »
It’s been in the teens and low 20s here in NJ. Winter is finally here  >:( and I’m having to wear a winter knit hat out to keep my head warm. Putting it on is a bit like Velcro in the morning walking the dogs. But all is good after a shower and shave.

I got a new newsboy cap a couple weeks ago. So I have a new option to keep my head warm. It’s kinda funny walking up to the register with a bald head buying a hat. I felt a bit sheepish.  :/O So I handed it to my partner at the last second and said jokingly “cashiers always make fun of bald guys buying a hat”. He just looked at me like “for real”. So I got an extra Christmas gift and I bought him lunch. I really just wanted to take advantage of his Kohls discount.

Any funny hat stories?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Freezing cold in the northeast
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 11:44:06 AM »
Cold is right, been -20 degrees in Minnesota! Knit hats won't stay on my head if I just shaved, so when it snows over night I don't shave until after snow blowing.

I have discovered a simple pleasure when it's really cold. I usually take showers, but sometimes I'll skip a day shaving and next day take a long hot bath. Super hot water and I use my double edge safety razor to shave while soaking in the tub. At some point, I drain some water and add more hot water. Very relaxing and a super smooth bald head!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 02:53:11 PM »
Nothing like a hot bath on a cold winters day. I don’t take advantage of that enough. I’ve never shaved while in the tub. I may have to try that!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 04:36:37 AM »
I just wear my toke outside.  I can't take a bath anymore because I can't get out of the tub without help so showers will have to do for now.  I've been shaving with my electric this winter.  In the warmer months, I use my razor.  My scalp seems to be softer in the winter and nicks pretty easily.  My doctor goes mental if I get a nick on my head.  He doesn't seem to care if I get a nick on my face though.  I never get nicks in the summer months for some reason.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 10:15:42 AM »
For those who have to deal with cold winters, splurge and by an alpaca cap. Alpaca is super soft, itch-free, and much denser than wool, so it keeps your head very warm.  Because it denser than wool, it's more wind resistant.  Better yet, it's very light.  My wife gave me one as a Christmas gift a couple years ago and I couldn't make it through the winter without it.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 08:32:05 AM »
I live in the southeast and our winters are pretty mild.  For several years, I grew my hair out in the winter several years because I thought it would keep me warmer.   I’ve kept myself shaved over the past couple of years and realized that there’s not much difference between a buzz cut and a bald head as far as warmth goes.  Again, we don’t get too many days below 30 degrees.  I was walking the other day with a temperature in the 30s and had to pull the hoodie over my head to keep warm.  Speaking of walking there’s a young lady with a shaved head that walks in the neighborhood.  She’s bald by choice because sometimes her hair has grown out to a short buzz.  You don’t see too many bald girls out there. 

Enter your email address: