Author Topic: Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)  (Read 4613 times)

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)
« on: December 30, 2021, 05:27:44 AM »
Anyone of you dealing with this? It's scary as f**k. You wake up in the morning, and the world is spinning. I have had two events, one was very severe, but short lived. The next event, about 3 weeks later, is less severe but has lasted all day.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 09:18:18 AM »
Sorry you are dealing with this, I have no information to offer.
SlyBeard

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 07:38:54 AM »
I had vertigo about 15 years ago and it really was scary.  It came on during the night while I was sleeping.  I woke up suddenly and the room was spinning.  I felt nauseated and my heart was racing.  My wife took me to the ER where I received medication to quell the symptoms.  The diagnosis was vertigo caused by particles floating in my middle ear.  At the time, there was no treatment to get rid of the particles, so I took a low dose of the medication when the symptoms cropped up.

The good news: the occurrences quickly became less frequent and the intensity of the symptoms diminished rapidly.  The bad news: it took two years before they stopped altogether. During that time, I had to be careful not to move my head side to side or up and down too quickly otherwise I would get dizzy even if I was sitting or lying down. Fortunately it hasn't returned.

Good luck.  I hope your doctor can give you medication for the symptoms.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 01:43:58 AM »
@Laser Man What did they prescribe for you?

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 05:47:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, it was meclizine.  I went to the ER on a Friday and they gave me the medicine.  I ended up sleeping most of the weekend and when I went to see my doctor on Monday morning, he was surprised at the high dosage they gave me and said it was no wonder I slept all weekend because it is an antihistamine and induces drowsiness.  He cut it back to the lowest level available and that worked, i.e., it quelled the symptoms and I was not sleeping all the time. 

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 01:14:40 AM »
Thanks

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 02:58:38 PM »
I don't think I had the same thing but sometimes I get really dizzy and I hate it!  I usually take a sinus pill for a few days and it clears up.  I guess I'm lucky in that respect but there's no worse feeling than getting wicked dizzy.  Nothing to fool around with, that's for sure.  I think the best thing is to get to the er just to make sure nothing bigger is happening.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 11:41:05 PM »
Saw my Endo, yesterday, he said it could be viral, seeing my new GP on Wednesday. Here (Israel) you only go to the ER if you are dying... it's not getting worse, so I am waiting to see what the GP says.

Also having blood pressure issues, this might me tied in to it.

Thanks!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 08:03:38 AM »
Saw my Endo, yesterday, he said it could be viral, seeing my new GP on Wednesday. Here (Israel) you only go to the ER if you are dying... it's not getting worse, so I am waiting to see what the GP says.

Also having blood pressure issues, this might me tied in to it.

Thanks!

When I went to the ER for vertigo, my blood pressure was sky high (something like 230/150) and the ER doctor immediately treated that symptom.  Since then, I have taken medication for hypertension. 

Enter your email address: