Author Topic: How do you fight the "itch" to shave it all off and start all over again?  (Read 6359 times)

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
Re: How do you fight the "itch" to shave it all off and start all over again?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2022, 02:46:25 PM »
I last shaved my face in 2010.  I can't see me ever not having a beard.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2022, 08:19:15 PM »
Getting use to a naked head and face is challenging. I went with a clean shaven face for a couple weeks. Then this past week I Started to let the beard grow back. I think facial hair frames the face nicely. But like Razor X I struggle with the grey hair.  I looked at some pics of myself with the naked head and face, and i do like the look. So I’ll probably shave clean again. But like I said, it is a challenge to get use to it. And being pasty from winter does not help!

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2022, 11:41:22 PM »
How is gray hair a "struggle"? Disease, homelessness, poverty, are all struggles. I can't see how gray hair being anything that approaches a "struggle".

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 05:53:18 AM »
How is gray hair a "struggle"? Disease, homelessness, poverty, are all struggles. I can't see how gray hair being anything that approaches a "struggle".

I've heard a lot the phrase "The struggle is real", guess doesn't have that serious connotation.

Have grey hair, specially if you dont like it can be problematic.
I dye my beard and it grows so fast that that grey roots appears in less than a week

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 06:34:27 AM »
My dark hair started tuning grey in my late 20's. By the time I was 40, it was mostly grey. Never really liked it, but coloring it never looked right and was a pain in the butt! So when I shaved my head at age 58, it was a pleasant surprise not to see that grey head. I know my beard is still white, but not having that grey hair definitely makes me look younger.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »
I started going gray very early, mid 20's for my head hair and around 30 for my beard.  I have been keeping dye in my beard for years, and like Tony, the white roots start showing in less than a week.  I just turned 60 and decided maybe it was time to let the natural gray come in, so I am in that process now.  I did try once before and just did not like the way it looked gray and started the dye again.

I would not call it a struggle, it just is what it is for me.  I have used dye for some many years that it is just routine. 
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2022, 09:51:55 AM »

Different people have different things that they struggle with: aging, weight, body image issues, etc. Just because those issues aren’t catastrophic doesn’t mean that they aren’t challenges for some people.  That’s the whole reason this site was created: to help people who are having difficulty dealing with hair loss.  Nobody, aside from the occasional over-the-top hysteric, is saying that these concerns are the end of the world. But nonetheless  they are real and valid concerns for many people.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 11:59:56 AM »
@slybeard , I think I mentioned before that I tried some spray in temp color in MT goatee one time. I liked it, and thought about permanent color, but I think my friends would really give me a hard time!

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2022, 12:49:46 PM »
@reddog with your beard colored, and the shirt and tie you look like a security guard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2022, 04:06:27 PM »
@slybeard , I think I mentioned before that I tried some spray in temp color in MT goatee one time. I liked it, and thought about permanent color, but I think my friends would really give me a hard time!

It’s not bad.  🤔

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2022, 04:11:25 PM »
I started going gray very early, mid 20's for my head hair and around 30 for my beard.  I have been keeping dye in my beard for years, and like Tony, the white roots start showing in less than a week.  I just turned 60 and decided maybe it was time to let the natural gray come in, so I am in that process now.  I did try once before and just did not like the way it looked gray and started the dye again.

It can be a hard habit to break. But eventually we all reach an age where we are expected to have grey hair and it can look a little strange if we don’t.  Everyone has to decide for himself when it’s time to stop; the right time varies from individual to individual.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2022, 07:37:29 PM »
Razor is right ,there comes a time when coloring beard or head  looks to obvious or unnatural. Plus its probably not healthy for your skin or what else. And the weekly application is problematic in my opinion. I tried it and decided natural is best and easiest.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2022, 12:33:41 AM »
When it gets grey and brittle?  Now that's a real struggle!  I know so many people in this world have much worse struggles but grey and brittle hair is just one of them.  I just can't razor shave in the winter!  I have tried.