Author Topic: How do you fight the "itch" to shave it all off and start all over again?  (Read 6387 times)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: How do you fight the "itch" to shave it all off and start all over again?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 09:50:18 AM »
@DoberDaddy , I think you looked great bald with the mustache! I think if you were clean shaven you would look 10-15 years younger.

If I ever shave my face again, I think it would be a good idea to keep it shaved for 30 days. Just like we suggest to new headshavers, it would give you time to get used to the new look, then decide to keep it or not.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 11:54:36 PM »
@slybeard thanks... I don't have one of those thick, lucious, natural handlebars that I so crave. It takes too much product to keep mine in place.

@reddog thanks for the compliments, I can't shave... my skin breaks out in terrible rashes.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 03:20:32 AM »
I have had a beard since before i shaved my head, so i have no clue what completely shaved would look like.  i do occassionally see someone and think maybe it would be a good look, but that feeling never seems to last, lol

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 05:42:21 AM »
I have had a beard since before i shaved my head, so i have no clue what completely shaved would look like.  i do occassionally see someone and think maybe it would be a good look, but that feeling never seems to last, lol

It’s a great look on some and terrible on others.  There doesn’t seem to be any in-between.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 05:49:26 AM »
@DoberDaddy i think you look great with walrus mustache and shaved head. That mustache stands out.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2021, 12:51:11 AM »
Told BF thoughts of shaving beard... showed pics of just mustache.

The look on his face said it all.

So that would be a NO! LOL

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2021, 09:17:33 AM »
Told BF thoughts of shaving beard... showed pics of just mustache.

The look on his face said it all.

So that would be a NO! LOL

If my opinion counts, I agree with BF.  I am a beard guy and have always admired full beards.
SlyBeard

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 12:10:20 PM »
LOL

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2022, 03:04:01 PM »
I am at the two-year mark, after shaving down a full, long, 3-year beard.

Right now the beard looks great, and getting lots of good feedback, but I am DYING to shave it off. The joke is that I always regret it for a few weeks.

I never shaved the mustache in the 37 years of being bearded. This time I am dying for a clean sweep.

Advice?
Can't fight it man!  Once the urge sets in, it's in and doesn't leave you alone until you shave.  Two years is a long time but it is what it is. 

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 10:32:53 PM »
I vote for not fighting inches - it can be fun to indulge them! Last year I wore a full beard for about six months and then one day I took out her of clippers and cut the whole middle out of it into big mountain chps and to my surprise I got all kinds of compliments!  since then I’ve gone to a cowboy stash and I’m back to a goatee when I shave my head again at the end of the month I’m gonna go to something between a full beard and a goatee with a beard fading to zero as it moves away from my mouth

Change is good!

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 11:25:33 PM »
Well, maybe for you... we fight urges all the time. I just keep looking a the pic of my fat face... that is enough to dissuade me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 11:27:12 PM by DoberDaddy »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 05:10:47 AM »
Well, for some reason, I've been growing my hair for almost 5 weeks. Finally long enough to see the white hair. My dermatitis issue broke out a couple of times on the sides and back, so I've had to shave them to stop it. The longer it gets, the less I like the fine white hair. It's a constant fight of the urge to shave.

So yesterday, I went to lunch with some friends. Of course, sitting right behind me was a guy with a beautiful shiny shaved head. We both went up to load up at the buffet, and I complemented him on a great haircut. We chatted for awhile, and he said he's been shaving for 20 years. So, I kept sneaking a few looks at him, and now I have a huge urge to go back to the baldie. Funny how something like that can trigger those urges. I think the only thing stopping me is the 20 degrees below zero weather here.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 06:00:48 AM »
Well, for some reason, I've been growing my hair for almost 5 weeks. Finally long enough to see the white hair. My dermatitis issue broke out a couple of times on the sides and back, so I've had to shave them to stop it. The longer it gets, the less I like the fine white hair. It's a constant fight of the urge to shave.

So yesterday, I went to lunch with some friends. Of course, sitting right behind me was a guy with a beautiful shiny shaved head. We both went up to load up at the buffet, and I complemented him on a great haircut. We chatted for awhile, and he said he's been shaving for 20 years. So, I kept sneaking a few looks at him, and now I have a huge urge to go back to the baldie. Funny how something like that can trigger those urges. I think the only thing stopping me is the 20 degrees below zero weather here.

"Bald Envy" is a real thing.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 07:59:16 AM »
Well, maybe for you... we fight urges all the time. I just keep looking a the pic of my fat face... that is enough to dissuade me.

Maybe instead of a total shave, a change in beard style may satisfy the itch.  Something like a little shorter, lower cheek lines, or a big goatee/circle beard.  You have very good beard growth and coverage, so any facial hair style would work for you.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 12:38:21 PM »
The last time I shaved my face was in 2008.  I did it because I didn’t like the grey that was starting to creep into my beard.  I maintained a shaved face for a few months but I just could not readjust to it. Eventually I decided that a grey beard was better than no beard at all.  I grew it back and I have never been tempted to shave it off again.  It’s significantly greyer now than it was back then, and I still struggle with that but shaving isn’t an option.