Author Topic: How do you fight the "itch" to shave it all off and start all over again?  (Read 6385 times)

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
I am at the two-year mark, after shaving down a full, long, 3-year beard.

Right now the beard looks great, and getting lots of good feedback, but I am DYING to shave it off. The joke is that I always regret it for a few weeks.

I never shaved the mustache in the 37 years of being bearded. This time I am dying for a clean sweep.

Advice?

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
Re: How do you fight the "itch" to shave it all off and start all over again?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 06:24:11 AM »
Are you going for the Amish beard (without mustache) or totally smooth like Mr. Clean?

Is hard to fight against the desire,once you think on shave your head or beard is over...you wouldn't be in peace until ia done.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 06:38:45 AM by Tony Dadá »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 06:24:44 AM »
Ah yes, I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes I see a guy with a shaved head and face that looks great, then I think how clean it looks.

But, one year ago, I thought it would be a good time to go clean shaven for the first time in 35 years. I was mostly staying home because of the pandemic. So one morning I got out the trimmer and I immediately knew it was a mistake! I definitely did not like how I looked. Well, I thought I might as well take a razor to it while shaving my head.

So, I learned my lesson, and probably won't try that again. But, just like we tell new headshavers, it grows back. Funny how I love wearing a shaved head, but not a shaved face?

So, @DoberDaddy , sometimes it's hard to fight the urge, and you just have to scratch that itch!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 07:16:07 AM »
Every "bald and bearded" man should try go Mr. Clean at least once in their life's,be truly BALD.

The first time I shave my beard as a bald man didn't like it too much and let it grow again immediately.

But some months later,after try a lot of beard styles decided to do it again and like it.

Is great to rub your chin and go until the nape and feel nothing except for smooth shaved skin.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 01:34:21 AM »
I was thinking of a clean sweep... but might keep the mustache. Not sure. Still on the fence. New BF loves the beard... so, we will see.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 07:17:27 AM »
Just think long and hard before shaving - you know how long it takes to grow back.

But if you do, consider going down in stages (and post photos for us).  You could trim to a shorter beard, then maybe carve out a large circle beard, then a biker (horseshoe) mustache with a soul patch, then without the soul patch, and then solo mustache.  Maybe live with each style for a week or so.  That may be less "shocking" and cause less regret since the change would be gradual over several weeks.  It would also give you some photo history of how you look with the different styles and what style may become your new goal when you do grow back. 

I always tell guys with facial hair to have fun with it and change it as they like.  I also tell the young guys that still have a full head of hair the same thing, try any hairstyle you like, while you still have the option.
SlyBeard

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 09:56:50 AM »
I have done biker staches and all sorts of goatees in the past. It's probably going to be an all or nothing thing. And then grow big, again.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 01:10:40 PM »
When I first thought about shaving my face last year, I kept thinking about it too much. Everytime I looked in the mirror, I wondered  what it would be like. I know I looked much younger without my grey hair, but always wondered if I would look even younger without the grey beard. I'll add a photo, but don't laugh!

You will never know what you will look like, unless you go for it.

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »
Like another man...

You look younger tho.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 06:12:16 PM »
I did the same over the summer — pondered the idea of going clean shaven. I had a nice thick goatee going earlier this summer but was growing tired of it. So I started growing my beard back in but kept thinking how a clean shaven head and face would look nice and clean. I like it on other guys. So I took it down in stages. Shaved the beard but kept the goatee. Then I shaved it down to a mustache and soul patch combo and then I did just a a mustache. Nice thick one… chevron style which I really liked. I also realized to grow a nice mustache you need to let it grow a few months. Then I did the deed and went fully clean shaven. Like every guy I was like “what the hell did I just do”. Then I committed to stay clean shaven for several weeks. That took longer than I realized to get used to it. The look finally grew on me…bald headed, clean face. I kept it a couple months. I liked the look and going back into the office was nice too… so I polished my office look with pressed dry cleaned shirts and nice trousers. Definitely polished. Heading into winter I did grow the beard back but keep it trimmed close. But this year was a fun year on experimenting on facial hair. I say experiment withchange and have fun.  I will say getting rid of the grey facial hair was refreshing. And I’m contemplating on going back to a clean shaven face again.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 10:17:23 PM by Razorhead »

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 01:00:52 AM »
@reddog you look like a totally different person, I prefer the goatee.

I will probably not do anything, for now.

It's also too damn cold to go around with a bare face LOL.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 05:22:54 AM »
The last time I went for a clean-shaven face was in 2008. I did it because I thought my beard was getting too grey - although looking back it was nothing compared to the amount of grey I have now.  I kept my face clean shaven for about five months but I just could not adjust to the look.  I decided that a grey beard was preferable to no beard, and I’ve not been tempted to shave my face again.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 07:39:15 AM »
I am afraid of how many chins I may discover under there.  I have had different styles, but my chin has been covered for over 25 years, and I only had one back then.
SlyBeard

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 08:19:00 AM »
Just looked at pics the last time I TOTALLY shaved the beard...

NOT a good look. Scared the hell outta me.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 09:23:31 AM »
Just looked at pics the last time I TOTALLY shaved the beard...

NOT a good look. Scared the hell outta me.

Well, the mustache looked great!
SlyBeard