Author Topic: How big is the difference between buzzing no guard and going sly bald?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline BaldBlindAt20

• ŁYSY ALE ZNA PRZEPISY
  • Sly Jr.
So I have been going shorter and shorter with my buzzcuts, to the moment I buzz with no guard. My skin is shown perfectly, yet still when I tell people I want to go sly they think it's a bad idea to look like a cancer patient. Is there really this much of a difference when you go sly? There were some theories bout framing your face with hairline etc. but should it be something to worry about? Also is it much more time and effort consuming to shave with razor rather than buzzcutting?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: How big is the difference between buzzing no guard and going sly bald?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »
Ok, first, that association of a shaved head to a cancer patient is absolute bs! Shaved heads are very common and mainstream today. Just another trendy haircut.

There is very little difference between a no guard buzzcut and razor shaved. About three days growth I would say. The big difference is the feel of a totally smooth head. It feels awesome and that smooth feel is why so many of us shave every day.

Yes! Razor shaving is alot more work to maintain. I have a full head of hair, and I can shave it completely smooth in the shower in about 10 minutes. I think you should give it a try a couple of times to see if you really like the feel. If you don't like it, it only takes about 3 days to get back to the no guard length. Be prepared though, a razor shaved head is like nothing else!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 09:52:33 PM »
You can shave your head on Friday evening and have soft visible stubble by Monday. That’s how I first shaved my head. Personally the difference between a shaved head and zero guard is pretty big in appearance especially if you have dark hair. Blond hair will not be so noticeable. But the first pass I took over my head with a razor…. I knew my appearance would be different. It’s the complete absence of hair. And as @reddog described, it’s not so much the change in appearance that will mesmerize you but the feel of a smooth shaved head. After a day’s growth, you will miss the smooth feel and wish that it lasted longer. And you will be tempted  to shave again.

Just take a long weekend and do the deed! It’s time.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 06:28:28 AM »
There is not a lot of difference in the look.  Unless you mention it, most will not even notice that you have shaved.  There is a big difference in the feel.  Most guys that shave love the smooth feeling.

The visual difference is even less if you have a shadow when you shave.  If your hair is dark, you will likely have a shadow that looks much like a no-guard buzz.  But some guys, even with dark hair, have little shadow.

If you are concerned, try it when you don't expect to be around friends for a day or two.
SlyBeard

Offline BaldBlindAt20

• ŁYSY ALE ZNA PRZEPISY
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 04:44:54 PM »
Ok, first, that association of a shaved head to a cancer patient is absolute bs! Shaved heads are very common and mainstream today. Just another trendy haircut.

There is very little difference between a no guard buzzcut and razor shaved. About three days growth I would say. The big difference is the feel of a totally smooth head. It feels awesome and that smooth feel is why so many of us shave every day.

Yes! Razor shaving is alot more work to maintain. I have a full head of hair, and I can shave it completely smooth in the shower in about 10 minutes. I think you should give it a try a couple of times to see if you really like the feel. If you don't like it, it only takes about 3 days to get back to the no guard length. Be prepared though, a razor shaved head is like nothing else!

Yeah I am tempted more and more to shave it off completely, mainly because of that coarse feel on scalp, which has damaged my headphones and my wintercaps, I also don't believe I will look like a cancer patient lmao, I have eyebrows and facial hair still

You can shave your head on Friday evening and have soft visible stubble by Monday. That’s how I first shaved my head. Personally the difference between a shaved head and zero guard is pretty big in appearance especially if you have dark hair. Blond hair will not be so noticeable. But the first pass I took over my head with a razor…. I knew my appearance would be different. It’s the complete absence of hair. And as @reddog described, it’s not so much the change in appearance that will mesmerize you but the feel of a smooth shaved head. After a day’s growth, you will miss the smooth feel and wish that it lasted longer. And you will be tempted  to shave again.

Just take a long weekend and do the deed! It’s time.

People don't believe me when I say I am blonde because you can't see it in my buzzed hair lmao, but I hope the absence of hair altogether will make me feel a lot better about not having to worry about hairloss

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 10:45:05 PM »
Get rid of that millimeter/shadow of hair is going to make your head very very shiny and the lack of harline is going to change the proportions of your face.

But the biggest difference is the feeling....a bare scalp is so sensitive.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 07:18:49 AM »
I like the feeling of my head when it’s shave smooth.  I wish a shave lasted longer than 8 hours.  After 24 hours, mine feels like sandpaper.  If I put on a dri-fit shirt or toboggan after going a day without shaving, they stick like Velcro.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 09:27:46 AM »
Just give it a try , if you don’t like the look wear a hat for 3 days you will be back to a short buzz cut. Personally I find shaving every 2 or 3 days easier than a buzz cut weekly or bi weekly.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 06:50:35 PM »
I used to shave with an electric foil shaver(there are some good ones out there) but then started razor shaving.  The biggest thing I noticed was dead skin and flaking so when wet shaving I rinse off good after then when my scalp dries, I use a good moisturizer which makes it feel so much better.  Never looks like chemo head though.  The thing with the raised white part of my scalp is the dryness.  I also exfoliate the get rid of some of that.  I do the best I can.  A nice tan makes a huge difference plus an oily scalp helps(if you get into the habit of wiping it down).  So anyway, without making a podcast here.  The biggest advantage to razor shaving is keeping the scalp nice and clean.  The rest is up to personal preference.