Author Topic: Where are the negative reviews?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
Where are the negative reviews?
« on: August 31, 2021, 02:33:23 AM »
Whenever I buy a shaver, I read nothing but positive reviews.  The pitbull was one which I think sucks, then I ordered the omnishaver which I haven't received yet but don't know what to expect because almost every review I see on the interweb involves someone trying to sell something.  If they're selling something, I doubt they're gonna say anything negative about the item.  So, anyway, what's the deal on these omnishavers?  Any honest reviews out there?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Where are the negative reviews?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 06:06:10 AM »
I'm interested to hear how it works for you.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 12:33:58 PM »
Well this is my first time using it and it does require one to press down firmly.  I did the best I could I'll have to use it a few more times before I can say one way or the other.  I do have a problem holding it but so far, it wasn't any quicker than my regular shave but like I said, I just got it today so maybe it will work better tomorrow.  One thing I can say for certain.  This shaver isn't for newbies because their scalp is more tender and prone to irritation.  I've been shaving awhile so the pressure I had to apply and the back and forth motion didn't irritate me.  I wonder if I need to use their lotion to make it work? I do feel some roughness  on my neck but the rest of my scalp feels pretty smooth(definitely not the best shave of my life) but like I said, this was the first time I've used it.  I'll give it more time.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 02:05:37 AM »
I tried the omishaver, but I found it wasnt any quicker than a normal cartridge and the shave wasnt as good.  I then tried it again when the replacable blades came out but again i wasnt impressed.  However, different people like different things, but the omishaver, not for me. In fact if you want the block that the blades fit in I can send it to you!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 03:21:33 PM »
I used the  again this morning with different results.  After washing my hair, I put on my shave gel then shaved.  I watched youtube videos showing these guys going fast and one had a stopwatch to time himself but I found if I took my time with it, I got a better shave.  The company that makes the  omnishaver arn't giving out trophies to those who can go the fastest but I took my time.  I'm supposed to press down firmly but I pressed down a little too firmly on the side of my head and got a razor burn.  Well anyway, I had one problem where my neck meets my head and lots of fine hairs that the  just wouldn't cut so I took out my regular razor and touched up my neck and around my ears.  I would say if someone has a razor that works good for them then they probably should stay with it and shouldn't look for something better.  After all, how close can a razor get anyway?  I still haven't decided but I'm inclined to continue using my  extreme3.  I'll figure it out one way or the other.
And thank you Dragon for the offer.  I'm not quite sure what the "block" is but I don't think I'll be needing it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 03:25:25 PM by clint902 »

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »
Ok, well I hate to say this about the omnishaver because so many people seem to love it but I just can't take the feeling of dull blades tugging away at my hairs and I did everything by the book.  This evening I felt the back of my head and was horrified at how rough it was so I touched it up with my shick razor.  In fact, I did my whole head again with my shick.  It did a better job in half the time of the omnishaver so I guess my shick razor is the winner.  I get the feeling that I'm doing something wrong with the omnishaver so I'll mess with it some more tomorrow.  Maybe I'm not pressing down hard enough or too hard.  I really want to give the omnishaver a chance but so far, I'm not the least bit impressed.  I shouldn't have wasted my money.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 04:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the info, Clint. Different razors work for some, not others. Maybe it's the angle or direction hair grows on different people? I guess that's why there are so many different razors out there.

I use the Schick Extreme 3 too. They aren't as sharp as they used to be, but still work good. I tried the Headblade years ago, and no matter how many times, or with different blades, I couldn't get it to work. It's fun to try different routines, though. I recently started using my double edge safety razor once in awhile. If I can go 3 days or more without shaving, it works great!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 02:43:49 AM »
Come to think of it, most of the youtube videos showed guys that had close to a weeks growth.  I'm a daily shaver, not a once a week shaver so maybe it only works great on longer hair that absorbs more lube and gets softer.  I'll try again today but my hopes are pretty much dashed.  Hey, if it doesn't work well, I'll just use my backup razor. 

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 09:57:17 PM »
I hated the Omnishaver. I thought it was a truly awful product. Great concept but very mediocre shave.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 06:11:00 PM »
Speaking as a retired toolmaker, I'm used to figuring things out so I did something different this morning.  I washed my head as usual then put some olive oil and rubbed it in, then put on shaving gel.  Well, I didn't get a great shave from the omnirazor but at least there wasn't much pulling.  I'm just the type of person that has to try every possible solution before making a final decision.  I'll see what happens tomorrow but I see the trash bin in the omnishavers future.  Ha ha!  Maybe I call that company first and see what they say.  I feel like I got ripped off but it won't be the first time.  But on the bright side, I saved a fortune on bad haircuts just by shaving my head so there's not too much to complain about.  I just hate when a company claims their product will be so wonderful then I get it and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 11:06:19 AM »
Ok, you guys are gonna laugh at this but this morning, I prepped my head as usual then took one swipe with the omnishaver which felt horrible so I broke out a dull razor that I had in the back of my cabinet and got a pretty decent shave out of it.  The shave was nothing to write home about but was a lot better than the omnishaver so I could've saved a few buck by just shaving with a dull razor instead of going out and buying the omnishaver.  Well, off to the trash bin it goes! ^-^

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 06:20:24 AM »
Ok, there are a few negative reviews of the omnishaver but I'd also like to hear any positive reviews and any advice you can give the rest of us that arn't having any luck with this shaver.  Another words, what are we doing wrong?

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 05:45:44 AM »
Well I guess that's that.  I fail to understand why a single blade de gives such a good shave while the 10 bladed omnishaver gives such a terrible shave.  I expected to get a decent shave from the omnishaver but never expected to get such a terrible shave that I had to go over my scalp with my de.  I don't know what else to say here except I am dissapointed and am done wasting money on these gimmicks.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 05:59:43 AM »
Thanks for the info @clint902 . I think we all go through the equipment experiments, always looking for something better.

I read many years ago, that less blades mean less irritation. I stick with the Shick Extreme 3. The only problem is I always seem to stretch it 1 or 2 shaves too long, then get some irritation.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:56 PM »
I know what you mean!  I stretch out my razors too!  The only way I can tell it it's dull is when I try to shave my face with it and it's just painful.  I'll probably continue experimenting with different gels or butters but I get the best shave from my 1918  I got on .  Strange how shavers have gone backwards to a degree.  Oh, forgot to mention that the newer razors have more blades in them but in my experience, a single blade works just fine.  I can't figure it out.  I'm using the shick extreme three basically for the handle because I have trouble holding the smaller ones but my best shaves came from a single bladed cartridge or the de.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:48:54 PM by clint902 »