Author Topic: I am genuinely confused about effects of shaving head  (Read 14153 times)

Offline BaldBlindAt20

• ŁYSY ALE ZNA PRZEPISY
  • Sly Jr.
I am genuinely confused about effects of shaving head
« on: June 26, 2021, 03:15:59 PM »
I am confused by how people are reacting to bald (and by bald I mean shaved heads, not grown-out horseshoes). When I started losing hair in 2018, I found a forum named hairlosstalk.com, and there people are absolutely depressed about hairloss. They were telling that if you had no hair, you had no life. There was even a thread that if you are balding young then it is a sign that you should give up and rot. On the other hand, here there are voices that bald head is actually more attractive than hair, that shaving head made them actually happier and that they were perceived as better looking (not only romantically speaking but also professionally). I have many concerns because I will be the only person who is shaved in my family and social circle.

So how it is? Will shaved head make me a failure and invisible to women or it will be a no big deal? Because the mixed information I get about slyness is making my head ache.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: I am genuinely confused about effects of shaving head
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 04:13:59 PM »
OK, my friend, here is my opinion. Eight years ago, I was tired of my grey hair and boring haircuts. I wore a flattop years before, so I wanted to go real short again. Then I, started noticing alot of guys with shaved heads, and thought it looked good. So I decided to try a buzzcut, but I didn't like it, so I just shaved my head bald. I immediately loved it, and after the initial shock, later that day my girlfriend told me she wanted me to keep it shaved. None of my family or friends wore a shaved head, but I got almost all positive comments.

So, yes, if you think totally bald is a good look, you will probably like it. After a week or two, nobody will comment, and they will be used to your new luck. I feel sorry for those guys that dread losing their hair. Most of us here enjoy wearing a smooth shaved head.

Funny, last week my neighbor(has a shaved head) and I were talking about head shaving, and his wife couldn't remember me with hair. I had a full head of hair for over a year when I moved in!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 03:28:50 AM »
Ok the other side from reddog.  I had been balding and didnt like it but you dont get a choice! I had been cutting shorter and shorter and then one day i saw a picture of the back of my head and how far down the bald patch was going.  I said, no more, and shaved.  Havent looked back since.  No one comments, ots now just me.  Wear it with confidence and your are empowered.  Dont hide it!  I does take a while to get used to looking different but that would be the same with any haircut. if you are curious, try it and see

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 08:37:03 AM »
I started losing my hair at 15, started shaving my head when I was 30, and kept it mostly shaved or short until I was 40. At 40 I realized I had a sizeable bald spot growing on top, so I shaved it off again and kept it that way for another 10 years.

I started getting bored, I always had a beard it goes from long to short and back again in cycles of 2-3 years.

About three and a half years ago I saw a friend with a "Viking" hairstyle, and for the first time ever, I was jealous.

So I did some research, and went out and got myself a hair system.

I have been wearing one since, and I love it. People know I was bald (most), and I switch styles all the time, keeping my head totally shaved.

No one ever said anything negative to me bald, shaved, balding, or otherwise.

I never felt ashamed of going bald, nor did I care what people thought.

The only one who ever said anything negative was my a$$hole father... who made fun of me when he saw me with a shaved head for the first time.

My late husband's response was classic "Well, you don't f**k him, but I do". That stopped that conversation cold.

So confused about the effects? It is all 100% your own attitude, period. f**k everyone else.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
@BaldBlindAt20   I think it’s best to just take the positive road here. There are a lot of guys out there with shaved heads or tight buzzcuts who are in there in there 20s. Just because your hair is thinning doesn’t mean that you need to shave your head. You can go with just a shorter haircut like a buzzcut or perhaps a fade with hair just scissored short on top. You just have to adapt the style as you go as your hair loss is progressing. Losing your hair is just a fact of life among men. Most of us will lose our hair to some degree. you just have to find the right style and adapt it over time.

Reading articles that are telling you that your life will be over because of hairloss is ridiculous and will only make you depressed unnecessarily. They are just a bunch of haters trying to knock down your confidence. Just because they are miserable doesn’t mean that you should be. 

There are a lot of guys who look great bald headed. Jason Statham, Kelly Slater, Michael Jordan, George St. Pierre (though he’s a tight buzzcut).  At some point you might just want to shave your head to get rid of the hair and stress associated with it.

I shaved my head by choice. A buddy buzzed my hair short once and i actually liked that i looked almost bald. So I took a razor to finish it off.  For me it’s the best haircut. It’s simple. It’s easy. And I never had a haircut that I really liked anyway unless if it was a buzzcut..

The guys here are great. Full of positive energy.  We are happy to help you. Don’t let the negative people fill your head with bullshit.

Offline BaldBlindAt20

• ŁYSY ALE ZNA PRZEPISY
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
@BaldBlindAt20   I think it’s best to just take the positive road here. There are a lot of guys out there with shaved heads or tight buzzcuts who are in there in there 20s. Just because your hair is thinning doesn’t mean that you need to shave your head. You can go with just a shorter haircut like a buzzcut or perhaps a fade with hair just scissored short on top. You just have to adapt the style as you go as your hair loss is progressing. Losing your hair is just a fact of life among men. Most of us will lose our hair to some degree. you just have to find the right style and adapt it over time.

Reading articles that are telling you that your life will be over because of hairloss is ridiculous and will only make you depressed unnecessarily. They are just a bunch of haters trying to knock down your confidence. Just because they are miserable doesn’t mean that you should be. 

There are a lot of guys who look great bald headed. Jason Statham, Kelly Slater, Michael Jordan, George St. Pierre (though he’s a tight buzzcut).  At some point you might just want to shave your head to get rid of the hair and stress associated with it.

I shaved my head by choice. A buddy buzzed my hair short once and i actually liked that i looked almost bald. So I took a razor to finish it off.  For me it’s the best haircut. It’s simple. It’s easy. And I never had a haircut that I really liked anyway unless if it was a buzzcut..

The guys here are great. Full of positive energy.  We are happy to help you. Don’t let the negative people fill your head with bullshit.

Thank you for your input! Truth be told, I want to shave completely because I'm tired of seeing thinning hair and want my appearance to be somewhat constant (thinning is very rapid) and people told me that I look fit for a shaved head, almost menacing :D Also, by ,,adapting my style" you mean my clothing? Because I think my style will not need a change after shaving head (leather jackets, cargo trousers and Protektor GROM military boots)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 12:55:35 PM »
It's called "bald badass"! Sounds like you're ready to join the club. Just commit to keeping it for 30 days. If you go beyond 60 or90 days, you will probably keep it shaved for a long time.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 02:16:47 PM »
@BaldBlindAt20  You sound like you know what you want! Which is great. Good luck to you and I agree with @reddog on giving a shaved head a shot for 30 days.

By style, i meant hairstyle. But hey, the right clothes always helps too and i like your fashion style!  As your hair thins, you may want to consider a shorter buzzcut.  I started shaving 15 yrs ago. Over time, my own hair started to thin. I started out shaving with pretty much a full head of hair. It wasn’t until recently, i realized some haircuts like side parts and flattops just aren’t an option for me anymore because the front is so thin. So i adapt the style to be buzzcuts and skin fades when i grown my hair out.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 05:39:09 PM »
Well, honestly, it seems like everybody complains about something but most of it is about petty stuff.  If you either cut it short or just shave it off, do it because it's what you want to do, not what others want you to do.  I was gonna say more here but it would've been redundant so I didn't say it.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 07:33:01 PM »
Don't listen to all the negative nancys!Just because you're going to be bald doesn't mean your life is over. You'll still be you, just with a new haircut. I know several guys who shave their heads and have wives or girlfriends that are absolutely gorgeous. Hell, one guy I know landed a babe AFTER he shaved his head! And I think you'll be surprised at how fast people get used to the new you, and how many people actually compliment you. And people who don't like it are unlikely to say anything, whereas people who do like your new look ARE likely to say something. It's normal to be a little nervous before taking it all off for the first time, but I think you'll be glad you did; most guys are.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »
Most of us also started as the first guy with a shaved head in the family or circle of friends.  That was the case for me as well.  I did know only one guy at work who was shaved.  Many guys that shave also gain confidence make other changes.  We seem to work out more, maybe grow some facial hair, and dress better.

I suggest you post a photo so we can see where you are with your balding.
SlyBeard

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »
The first few weeks after shaving your head are the toughest (or most annoying).  That's when family and friends make the most comments.  It's also the time when you run into people for the first time as a bald guy.  You will get questions, comments and opinions, but as the others have said, this passes pretty quickly.  Basically people are busy with their own lives, so your choice of hairstyles really isn't all that important to them.

After that, you'll find that you've become comfortable with your new look and it will start to feel very natural.

Just remember that some people are still wary of guys with shaved heads, so be polite and smile to battle the negative perception.

Offline BaldBlindAt20

• ŁYSY ALE ZNA PRZEPISY
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 04:07:49 PM »
Most of us also started as the first guy with a shaved head in the family or circle of friends.  That was the case for me as well.  I did know only one guy at work who was shaved.  Many guys that shave also gain confidence make other changes.  We seem to work out more, maybe grow some facial hair, and dress better.

I suggest you post a photo so we can see where you are with your balding.

My balding is NW3 with diffuse thinning (horseshoe pattern begins to show)

Offline BaldBlindAt20

• ŁYSY ALE ZNA PRZEPISY
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
Don't listen to all the negative nancys!Just because you're going to be bald doesn't mean your life is over. You'll still be you, just with a new haircut. I know several guys who shave their heads and have wives or girlfriends that are absolutely gorgeous. Hell, one guy I know landed a babe AFTER he shaved his head! And I think you'll be surprised at how fast people get used to the new you, and how many people actually compliment you. And people who don't like it are unlikely to say anything, whereas people who do like your new look ARE likely to say something. It's normal to be a little nervous before taking it all off for the first time, but I think you'll be glad you did; most guys are.

Well I hope that will be my case  :) I am somewhat concerned about picking up girls, especially because I am just 20 and from what I heard young girls are not fond of sly guys, I was considered handsome with hair so much girls approached me casually, I am to be honest somewhat scared that they might be intimidated by my look (people were stepping out of my way on the streets when I had 9mm buzzcut). I might be worrying too much I guess :D

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 04:26:05 PM »
Well, I hope you realize that if you shave your head and don't like the look, you can always put a hat on.  The hair on the head grows faster than you'd expect.  There are other alternatives to the completely bald scalp. You could buzz it down to 4mm which is pretty short but not shaven.  Actually, you can buzz it down to any length you want.  Then maybe someday when you're on vacation, you might want to bic you scalp just to see how you look.  There's no judgement here and you'll find that your friends and relatives will soon realize that  it's still you.