Author Topic: Shaving the back of my head  (Read 1218 times)

Offline rico

• Sly Jr.
Shaving the back of my head
« on: June 18, 2021, 12:05:11 AM »
While I've been shaving my head for more than 5 years, my skills have stalled. The sides and top of my head are easy, even though I have lots of side and back hair growth.  When I get to the back of my head, where I have to use two mirrors to see what I'm doing, I'm often left with a lot of stubble -- especially compared to the sides which are billiard-ball smooth.  What are the secrets for getting good results in the back?

I use a range of razors -- Omnishaver, the Defender, the Gillette Guard  --which is cool and came from India because it's not sold in the US. And I use both slick hair conditioner and canned shave foam. (I know;I know. I have enjoyed using a shave brush and puck, but my shave process is already quite involved and going old-school makes it take more time.)

Sometimes I go two weeks without a headshave, which I'm sure makes the whole project more challenging.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Shaving the back of my head
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 05:22:23 AM »
We all have our own routine. I shave in the shower, by memory and feel. Recently, I shaved in front of the mirror with my double edge safely razor and couldn't get a few spots smooth and had to close my eyes and go by feel. Helps me concentrate and hear the sound of the razor hitting the missed spots.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 05:37:14 AM »
The back of the head is the densest.  I first wet shave with my electric to bring everything down to a mere stubble, then I tilt my head foreword and run the razor upward against the grain repeatedly but I keep it lubed up so I'm never shaving dry.  I go by feel and never needed a mirror but that's personal preference I guess.  I just use olive oil and shave gel but the hairs seem to just soften up.  Another reason the back of the head is hard to shave is because I used to shave the rest of my head first, then my blade was dull which made shaving the back of my head hard to shave.  I would suggest shaving the back of your head first before the blade dulled out.  I hope that helped in some way.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:42:54 AM by clint902 »

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 08:38:09 AM »
I shave my head against the grain to get it as smooth as possible.   I start out on the neck with downward strokes to get the lower part, then switch to upward strokes, working my way to the top.  I have a lot of growth in different directions on the crown, and it takes some time to get this shaved smooth. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 01:21:58 PM »
I don’t need to see the back of my head to shave it.  I just do by touch, using my left hand to guide me over spots that were missed on the first go around.

Offline rico

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 02:21:29 AM »
it's not that the mirrors are a problem. It's then I see all the dark stubble.  I''m sure I have to learn to shave against the grain and not be impatient: let the hair get really soft first.  Starting with an electric shaver sounds like a great improvement plan for me. Thanks.

Enter your email address: