Author Topic: 15 years ago.....  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
15 years ago.....
« on: May 23, 2021, 09:08:51 AM »
..was when I first started shaving my head. It’s hard to believe so much time has past. I started out as a BBC guy and loving it. Hands down....a shaved head is the best haircut. Over the years I did take breaks and grew some hair to get flattops and hnt’s and yes i confess i tried that stupid side part haircut with the shaved in part line. All short lived haircuts because eventually out came the clippers and the razor.

But 15 yrs later, Mother Nature has taken over and really doesn’t leave me with much hair to do a decent flattop anymore. It was hard to come to that conclusion. So the only haircut i can really do is short buzzcut and watch my hair slowly vanish.

Yesterday i celebrated with a barbers shop head shave. I figured it would be a nice treat to myself. I hardly ever get barbershop head shave because i feel that i can always get it smoother. But i decided a treat was in order and went into the shop with some shag and came out with a nice clean dome. In a way it kind of reminded me of my first head shave. You would think going from 1/8” of hair to a clean noggin doesn’t make much of a difference in appearance, but it certainly does. There is nothing like the look and feeling of a naked pate.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: 15 years ago.....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 09:32:36 AM »
Congratulations on 15 years @Razorhead ! Almost 8 years for me. I feel the same way about barbershop headshavers, hard to spend $30 for something I can do better. You have me thinking maybe I should treat myself  on my anniversary.

Yes, I used to get the bug to grow my hair every few months, but for the last 6 months I have enjoyed a smooth head more than ever. Although I'm only very slightly thinning at the temples, hair just doesn't look good on me.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 09:44:48 AM »
Thanks @reddog! 8 yrs is a good milestone too! Have you ever had any other hairstyle that you kept for that long?

It was a nice splurge but also because it feels good to get out of the house these days.

Before I first shaved, i really didn’t like the look of a shaved head on others. Then a buddy buzzed my hair down without a guard. I looked bald, and got curious. Bought a headblade that sat on the counter for a couple months. I’m telling a couple buddies that I’m going to shave my head. And they were like ‘are you going to sh*t or get off the pot?’. So on a Friday night, i had a few beers and finally did the deed. For a look that i first kinda scoffed at, it became my favorite and I never though i would say ‘I love being bald’! It put me at ease. I hated every haircut. It was unmanageable, and I was horrible at styling it. A bald head put an end to that.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »
Other than a regular men's haircut, I never stuck with one cut. Kind of followed current styles. Yes, I also hated getting haircuts, you never knew how it would look.

My journey was different than yours. I was wanting a short cut, a crew cut or even a buzzcut. I went to a city celebration and noticed  10 or 12 guys with shaved bald heads and started thinking. Then I ran into my next door neighbor who was bald and shaved the fringe, and he inspired me to try shaving. Got up early the next morning and got the Clippers out, the rest is history.

Again, like you, I never thought I would have a completely bald head, but so glad I tried it. Best haircut ever!!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »
Congratulations Razor!  Wow!  That's a long time O0   

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 10:07:41 PM »
Most men will never shave their heads and will never know what they are missing out on.  I honestly think that most men would prefer being bald if they just gave it a chance.  After a few months with a smooth head, it would be difficult to go back to hair.  But try telling people that.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 07:32:09 AM »
Congratulations on the 14 years @Razorhead !
SlyBeard

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 07:47:01 AM »
Thanks @slybeard and @clint902! It’s been a fun journey.

And like @Razor X said....most guys wouldn’t even give a shaved head a chance. I think every guy should shave his head at least once in his life. The first time I saw a totally bald guy, and by choice, was in 1992 while working in trendy SoHo in NYC. It was a guy sitting on a motorcycle chatting it up with friends. I was intrigued but at the same time i thought ‘why would he do that’. Fast forward many years, a tight buzzcut and a Headblade got me to change my opinion. And now, I just love being bald.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 06:27:31 AM »
Hair really doesn't serve any purpose that I'm aware of.  The way I see it is some guys shave their face every day or grow beards and they're comfortable that way their whole life.  I guess it's the same way with guys that shave their head or or don't shave.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 10:37:39 AM »
Well, @clint902 , hair does serve some purposes. Keep you warm in the cold, protects if you bang your head, and if cut well is attractive to the opposite sex.

That being said, we are lucky to live in a time that anything goes regarding hair, or lack of it. There are usually periods where certain styles are very prevalent. Seems like each decade has a definite fad/style. Now that shaved heads are common, I think it will last for a long time. I kind of miss when a shaved head was uncommon and edgy. I got in on a little of that when I first shaved. Got alot of stares and comments.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 12:08:24 PM »
Well, @clint902 , hair does serve some purposes. Keep you warm in the cold, protects if you bang your head, and if cut well is attractive to the opposite sex.

That being said, we are lucky to live in a time that anything goes regarding hair, or lack of it. There are usually periods where certain styles are very prevalent. Seems like each decade has a definite fad/style. Now that shaved heads are common, I think it will last for a long time. I kind of miss when a shaved head was uncommon and edgy. I got in on a little of that when I first shaved. Got alot of stares and comments.
Oh, I thought that's what hats were for.  The youngsters want to look good for the ladies but the one I have prefers me bald.  She says it makes me look younger.