Author Topic: How to get a man bun  (Read 7822 times)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: How to get a man bun
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 07:16:16 AM »
If I could rock a full head of luxurious hair for one day, I would want it to be a mullet. My dad never would allow it when I was a kid in the 80s. They are making a comeback.

Same here.  The mullet gets a lot of negative comments, but done right, it is one of my favorite haircuts for a man.  I had the hair at the time to grow one (in the 80's), but I never had the nerve to actually do it.  I was a young professional, I fell to the peer pressure, and just kept a short business man haircut.  So I often advise younger guys to try any hairstyle they like, because one day their options will be limited.
SlyBeard

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 07:48:37 AM »
If I had hair (growing out of my own head) I would totally try this. I loved having long hair for the 10 mins back in the 80s before it started to fall out.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 08:20:42 AM »
If I had hair (growing out of my own head) I would totally try this. I loved having long hair for the 10 mins back in the 80s before it started to fall out.

The Man Bun, or the mullet?
SlyBeard

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2022, 12:51:55 AM »
Man bun, I had the mullet(ish) wasn't a fan.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2022, 07:56:20 AM »
I was behind a young guy in the supermarket the other day who had his hair cut short on the sides and long on top. The top was pulled back into a short (2-3 inch) ponytail that was strategically positioned to hide the bald spot on the crown of his head.  no man bun or mullet was going to cover that!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 11:28:48 AM »
I was behind a young guy in the supermarket the other day who had his hair cut short on the sides and long on top. The top was pulled back into a short (2-3 inch) ponytail that was strategically positioned to hide the bald spot on the crown of his head.  no man bun or mullet was going to cover that!

There is a point when you have to get the clippers out or just go for the shorter haircut. You have to learn to work with what you have. I’m glad I just shaved my head when I had a full head of hair. Now that I’m thinning it’s not traumatic because I’m used to being bald or having a buzzcut.

Hiding thinning or dying the grey just doesn’t work on a guy.it requires a lot of upkeep and guys aren’t good at that when it comes to hair.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 06:36:08 PM by Razorhead »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2022, 11:46:50 AM »

Hiding thinning or dying the grey just doesn’t work on a guy.it requires a lot of upkeep and guys aren’t good at that when it comes to hair.

I just came back from getting a beard trim.  In the chair next to me in the barbershop was a guy who was at least 70, who was getting his MPB fringe and mustache dyed.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2022, 06:43:47 PM »
@Razor X  I want to say that’s a generational thing….. but I have friends in their 50s who dye their hair. And guess what…. You see the roots pretty quickly in a couple weeks. It’s not a good play.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2022, 12:24:28 AM »
Which goes to show you that it's all a personal thing. There is no one right way.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2022, 11:24:44 AM »
In my opinion, there's nothing worse than nothing more annoying than a comb-over.  I see that quite often.  They're not fooling anyone and the look is just bad.  I suppose they can do it if they want but I don't have to look at it!  It's almost like a guy walking around with a strip of toilet paper stuck to the bottom of his shoe!  It just isn't right!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2022, 01:01:43 PM »
When I saw the young guy's little ponytail, I laughed to myself and thought "you are only fooling yourself because anyone walking behind you can see the bald spot peeking out".  But it's his choice!

Regarding men dying their hair, I worked with a guy who was in his late 60's and he had jet black hair or so it seemed for about a week every month.  Then the gray started to reappear.  He would never admit to dying his hair, yet, like a miracle the gray would disappear again!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2022, 08:42:33 PM »

Regarding men dying their hair, I worked with a guy who was in his late 60's and he had jet black hair or so it seemed for about a week every month.  Then the gray started to reappear.  He would never admit to dying his hair, yet, like a miracle the gray would disappear again!

I can understand why some men want to dye their hair, but it is almost always a mistake.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2022, 09:49:40 AM »
I want to grow a pony tail but the wife said she won't stand for it so I'm stuck.  This is a pretty light thread so I'm just going with it.  I personally think that a man bun is a mortal sin but to each his own. 

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2023, 11:39:56 AM »
My old barber (since deceased), was a man called "Banana Joe".  He had a really old barbershop in Joliet, Illinois.

Whenever he go the chance to chop off some guy's "man bun" he would mount them on the walls of the shop along with the other "trophies", ( e.g. dear heads, antlers, stuffed fish, man buns, etc.)!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2023, 06:45:39 AM »
How about the "rat tail" with the otherwise bald head?  Now that is a style most of us bald by nature guys can still sport if we desire.  Rat tails were popular back in the 90's as I recall.  I had a brother-in-law that kept one well past their time of popularity.

SlyBeard