Author Topic: Can you be to young to have a bald head?  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
Can you be to young to have a bald head?
« on: July 16, 2020, 09:01:31 AM »
Hey everyone. I've been on this forum for a hot minute, and completed the 30 day trial. Still liking my bald head, but am still getting some push back. People keep wondering why a 23 year old with a full head of hair would want to be bald. Their reactions and comments make me wonder if I should grow my hair back out, and if 23 is to young for a man to socially be accepted as bald.  What you you guys think? How young were you, and do you think there is a proper age when a bald head becomes more acceptable? Sorry if this is the wrong feed for this topic 😅. I couldn't decide what feed to write this in lol.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Can you be to young to have a bald head?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »
Don't give up! Wow, by now everyone should be used to your haircut. I see alot of young guys sporting shaved heads around here. You really need to do what pleases you, and forget the negative comments. Just come up with a good comeback to comments, and dare to be different! Give it at least another 30 days and enjoy that great looking haircut!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
@reddog one of my friends said I should tell people I wanted to look like Mr. Clean lol. But yeah this has been something I've been wondering. I think people are used to it, but don't understand why I'm keeping it.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 06:18:18 PM »
I first shave head back in the mid 1980's when extremely uncommon.keptit that way for several years.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 11:11:59 PM »
 At 23 years old you’re in no way too young to choose a clean look as a hairstyle .

A young man who is like a nephew to me is just turned 15 and is a sophomore in high school.  he liked my shaved head so much that he asked his mom if I could shave it for him - and he’s kept it that way now for eight months.   He comes to me once a week to have me shave his head .   At first he got a little pushback from his buddies and a couple of teachers.  I think  some of the pushback is because some of them are actually just a bit envious that he had the cajones/self-confidence to make such a choice.   Others are envious because his mom and his uncle  (Me)  gave him permission to make that choice and to choose a shaved head as his hairstyle because the parents of many kids his age might not be so supportive of a young man’s choices of personal style  and self-expression.

In your case there may be a little bit of that going on because other people are not as self-confident as you are and not willing to explore their own self-expression -  but rather lockstep their style to what either their friends, or magazines, or movies tell them are the appropriate haircut for them to choose/wear. 

In my case, except for a bald spot at the crown an overall thinning,  I still have a “full”  Head of hair and people often query as to why I choose to shave off all my hair - especially in view of the fact that I’m a barber!

In your case, if you  are like my nephew and you like the way it looks, and feels, and it makes you feel good about yourself - then what other people think simply doesn’t matter does it?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 09:25:55 AM »
I can understand this young man's apprehension. It much more difficult to be different than his peers at his age. When I was in my 40's, I started wearing a flattop, which was quite uncommon at the time, but I loved it. People got used to it, and I moved to a small town and found an older barber that could cut an awesome flattop. He had an old fashioned one chair shop in the tiny downtown, and he was a former U S Marine. I would stop in about every 3 weeks, get in the chair, and without asking, he would just start clippering up the sides.

So, yes, it's hard to have a different style, but as I suggested, keep shaving and in a short time the comments will stop. My comeback to the questions why I shaved a beautiful head of silver hair was simply because I like it, and it feels great.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »
If you want a shaved head, keep it shaved.  I can tell you I spent many years keeping what I thought was a socially acceptable haircut rather than what I wanted, and now I regret it. I wish that I had just done what I wanted to do with my hair and got over the pressure.  Doing what you want has a lot to do with building confidence in your own decisions.
SlyBeard

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:44:45 PM »
If you like your shaved head just keep it. You will meet new people in life you will only know you as a bald guy. I don’t think there is a ‘right’ age to shave your head. I think many men look at it as a haircut choice that a guy can make. There are a lot of young guys who shave their heads. There’s a ‘better2bebald’ profile on instagram where guys submit there before and after pics of a head shave. Lots of young guys there. It’s very normal and people will get used to your look. I shaved for the first time at 36 and had a full head of hair. I just kept buzzing shorter and shorter and got curious about shaving. People got used to my bald head. I actually got more flack over my buzzcuts. A shaved head put an end to commentary on my hair and nothing but positive feedback on my shaved head.

Think of the alternative, a boring side part haircut that every guy has. Yawn.

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 08:06:13 AM »
@Razorhead your so right! I was definitely the guy with a boring hard part.... it may look good, but why not have a hairstyle that stands out.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »
Twenty-five to thirty years ago, shaved heads had a very negative connotation in most places.  Now, shaved heads are pretty common and appear on all ages and walks of life, so I would say the answer to your question is "No".

If you like the look and feel of a shaved head, keep it.  We waste a lot of time and energy trying to please other people.  Think of it this way: If you kept your hair and others started telling you how to cut or comb it, you'd ignore them.  It should be the same way with the choice of a shaved head, which is a "hairstyle" after all.

Enjoy your new look, my friend!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »

In my case, except for a bald spot at the crown an overall thinning,  I still have a “full”  Head of hair and people often query as to why I choose to shave off all my hair - especially in view of the fact that I’m a barber!

I have a full head of hair except for the bald part on top.  :D :D :D

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 04:34:15 AM »
The first time I shaved my head was in 1975.  I was living at home and my father was so pissed!  Other than that, the only negative comment I got was when some guy asked me if I lost a bet.  I only shaved it once back then then grew it back but these days, I don' t think age matters.  Hair generally grows at the rate of 1/4 inch a week so if you shave and don't like it, just wait a week then it will look like you have a buzz cut.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »
@clint902 Woah! In 1975! That was a brave thing to do back then. What prompted you to do that? How long was your hair back then?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 01:49:28 PM »
@clint902 , I had the opposite experience. I was 18 in 1972, and my dad was constantly bugging me to get my shoulder length hair cut in a crewcut. Of course I refused, after all it was my hippie days! He passed away in 1975, and I often wonder how happy he is now. It had to take alot of guys to shave your head in 1975. I think I would have been an outcast.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 08:58:59 AM »
I was in college in 1975 and a guy across the hall shaved his head to win a bet (a pizza - imagine that!)  He became the talk of campus.  Everyone knew Mauricio after that.