Author Topic: Do you keep track of how many times you use each edge?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline djflo

• Learning the way of Sly
Do you keep track of how many times you use each edge?
« on: July 07, 2020, 03:21:25 PM »
Hey all!

I'm just barely getting into DE shaving for my head, and one thing that perplexes me is the lifespan of a single DE blade. Whenever someone gives their opinion on how many shaves a specific blade gets you, they always say something like "3-4 uses". No one ever seems to address the fact that there are 2 edges on each blade. When people say a blade can be used "3-4 times", do they mean per edge of the blade, or just in general?

And if it is per edge, how do you guys keep track of which edge you're using? Do you pick which edge you're going to use for that shave, and then make an effort not to flip the razor over while you're shaving?

Or do you guys not keep track of shaves-per-side, and simply flip to the other side if you feel like you aren't getting a good shave?

I feel like I may be missing something because in every shaving tutorial I've ever watched, no one has mentioned anything about this, so apologies if this is a ridiculous question!

Dan
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:23:15 PM by djflo »

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Do you keep track of how many times you use each edge?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
It's a good question. When I use my DE, I fuse both sides of the blade and I only use a blade for one shave. BBC here,so I have to do my whole head and usually do my face too. The blades are only 10 cents, so it's cheap.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »
I use a DE for face shaving only. I tend to keep a count on use , Both sides I use indiscriminately. So no I don’t count by sides. My picture is a few years ago , no beard at this time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:37:23 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline djflo

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 07:43:37 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it's a bit different for everyone. I'm sure I'll figure out what works for me the more I shave. Only done it twice so far with the stock blades that came with the safety razor, and will be trying some new blades soon.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 03:56:36 PM »
Online you can order , sample packs of DE blades . Check it out , and you can’t beat the price.  O0
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 06:40:55 AM »
I bring my stubble down as far a possible with my electric Braun then finish off with my de.  There are blade sharpeners out there however, the blades are so inexpensive that I'd be better off just buying new blades.  I do however flip the blade over because it's the scalp oil and dead skin that clogs up the blade and makes it feel dull even when it's not.  Got to be careful when cleaning the blade but I usually get a few more shaves out of it.

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 08:19:59 PM »
I use a blade for 3 shaves. That includes both sides. I fill up the razor with soap and flip it over use it again then wash.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 03:20:07 PM by sellitman »
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 01:12:02 PM »
I limit myself to 2 shaves per blade.  To me it's not worth trying to get more out of it.  Blades are so cheap anyway, I could used a new blade everytime I shave but I don't yet.  A lot goes into play when shaving in addition to the blade such as:  The length of time between shaves.
                                 The shaving lotion or cream used.
                                  Clean or dirty scalp.  Etc.